Toyota Corolla S rims on Chevy Cavalier - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Toyota Corolla S rims on Chevy Cavalier
Wednesday, September 03, 2008 12:44 PM
Being as thrifty as I am, I bought 18 inch rims for my 2007 Toyota Corolla S and took the rims off of the Toyota and placed them on my 2001 Chevy Cavalier .. the bolt pattern on the cars matched 5 x 100. But when I drove the cavalier ,I noticed the rims were not seating right to the hubs. As much as my Mr Universe muscles could torque them nuts, the rim still will not seat right ... I have taken them off and on many times. Does Toyota and Chevy use a different meaning to the bolt pattern for thier cars? ... Or do I need to find the Hulk inside me and Torque them nuts until my veins bust? ...

Re: Toyota Corolla S rims on Chevy Cavalier
Wednesday, September 03, 2008 12:46 PM
Sounds like it's a hub bore issue. Sounds like the Toyo ones are marginally smaller than the J's need.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 1:55 PM
Darin B wrote: Being as thrifty as I am, I bought 18 inch rims for my 2007 Toyota Corolla S and took the rims off of the Toyota and placed them on my 2001 Chevy Cavalier .. the bolt pattern on the cars matched 5 x 100. But when I drove the cavalier ,I noticed the rims were not seating right to the hubs. As much as my Mr Universe muscles could torque them nuts, the rim still will not seat right ... I have taken them off and on many times. Does Toyota and Chevy use a different meaning to the bolt pattern for thier cars? ... Or do I need to find the Hulk inside me and Torque them nuts until my veins bust? ...

lmao.. your use of words amused me .

Yes, it sounds like a hub issue. You may need to bore out the rims or use some hub rings if needed.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 2:04 PM
Hub rings wouldn't work in his case. Hub rings are meant to take up space, not create space.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 2:49 PM
if the Cavalier's rims mounting are to be Hub Centric and the Toyota's rims are to be mounted Lug Centric, Then am I , as Grandpa would say , "@!#$ out of luck" ... or is there a CHEAP way to mount these with out making the wallet thinner? Or should I leave it to the beer gods and see what a twelve pack will do?
Wednesday, September 03, 2008 3:05 PM
I think you should double the 12 pack...just for the heck of it
Wednesday, September 03, 2008 3:58 PM
if the center bore doesnt clear the cavalier hubs .. get them machined..

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 5:17 PM
get a dremel and a case beer and have at it til it fits lol.... j/k dont really do that

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Thursday, September 04, 2008 3:34 AM
Darin B wrote:if the Cavalier's rims mounting are to be Hub Centric and the Toyota's rims are to be mounted Lug Centric, Then am I , as Grandpa would say , "@!#$ out of luck" ... or is there a CHEAP way to mount these with out making the wallet thinner? Or should I leave it to the beer gods and see what a twelve pack will do?

that really doesnt matter at this point. all stock wheels are made to fit the stock bore size (which on jbodies is 57.1mm) thus making it hub centric. the majority of aftermarket wheels use a center bore around 72-73mm. this helps them fit many many cars simply by apply hub rings to the car to center them properly. your issuse is the stock toyota hub is smaller than the jbody hub like people have mentioned as since the stock toyota wheels are made to fit that hub, hence your problem. the stock toyota corolla hub is 54.1mm

Thursday, September 04, 2008 6:00 AM
Your best option, if you want to be able to use the rims on both vehicles, would be to have the bore machined out to a common aftermarket size (as Moar Candy wrote, typical is 72-73--however, there are smaller ones), and get yourself some hub rings for your two cars. The machining won't be cheap, unless you have a buddy in a machine shop, but it shouldn't be terribly expensive. You have to make sure there is plenty of material left in the rim, though. If the mounting face is hollowed out from the rear, and not solid, you won't be able to do it.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 6:41 AM
not to mention this wouldnt be something you could do yourself. the wheel needs to be exactly dead center when they machine it so is perfect all the way around. unless you have a flawless eye and a very very good hand, its not something you can do right yourself.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 8:08 AM
Moar Candy! LAWL wrote:not to mention this wouldnt be something you could do yourself. the wheel needs to be exactly dead center when they machine it so is perfect all the way around.

Absolutely.

Any reputable machine shop will have a center gauge for getting the piece lined up on the machine perfectly. It should absolutely not be done if they don't set up the machine with that first.

Monday, September 08, 2008 8:05 AM
As I sat on my patio finishing up leftover brew,I found myself pondering the comments received on this forum, I realized that one should not mix vodka and beer into one glass .. thats just plain nasty. .. .. Using my brilliant hung over mind .. I took two damaged rims that were intially on the cavalier and torched the center out.. . . . grided off the slag and mounted them in between the Toyota rims and the hub ... Overall they work .. but I use that car for only traveling afew blocks to work and plain on not driving long distances with it ... This I'm thinking may not be safe .. so my piggy bank will soon be destroyed to buy the right rims .... thanks for all the ideas, recommondations, prayers , thoughts, dreams, computer time , lol's, rofl's, and other such things .....
Monday, September 08, 2008 12:08 PM
That's got to be one of the worst ideas I've heard around here. At least if you use spacers you're using something designed for the purpose.

What you have gone and done is pretty much just thrown some scrap metal in there. Not something I would even trust driving to my mailbox.

Friday, September 19, 2008 9:40 AM
Toyota rims are smaller center bore. Scion TC/Pontiac Vibe are the same as well.

Dan Trump

2004 Cavalier LS Sport - Victory Red
Wednesday, March 04, 2009 7:52 AM
wats our bore?
Wednesday, March 04, 2009 8:02 AM
the bore is 70.3 mm .. i believe ..
Wednesday, March 04, 2009 8:07 AM
hmm so i guess we cant use saab 65mm bore?
Wednesday, March 04, 2009 8:17 AM
I would try them on first to see if it actually fits . I looked up the specs on the toyota rims for the bore size on line .. they may fit .. but if not then I would suggest Hub rings if you really want them rims on your car.
Wednesday, March 04, 2009 8:30 AM
our bore is 57.1mm, the scion tC, toyota corolla, toyota celica..... all use a 56.1mm center bore if I remember correctly.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Wednesday, March 04, 2009 9:37 AM
wantboost wrote:wats our bore?

really? or did you just not read the post where i posted back in september

Moar Candy! LAWL aka AWD GS wrote:
Darin B wrote:if the Cavalier's rims mounting are to be Hub Centric and the Toyota's rims are to be mounted Lug Centric, Then am I , as Grandpa would say , "@!#$ out of luck" ... or is there a CHEAP way to mount these with out making the wallet thinner? Or should I leave it to the beer gods and see what a twelve pack will do?

that really doesnt matter at this point. all stock wheels are made to fit the stock bore size (which on jbodies is 57.1mm) thus making it hub centric. the majority of aftermarket wheels use a center bore around 72-73mm. this helps them fit many many cars simply by apply hub rings to the car to center them properly. your issuse is the stock toyota hub is smaller than the jbody hub like people have mentioned as since the stock toyota wheels are made to fit that hub, hence your problem. the stock toyota corolla hub is 54.1mm

Monday, March 16, 2009 11:43 AM
The01Cav wrote:our bore is 57.1mm, the scion tC, toyota corolla, toyota celica..... all use a 56.1mm center bore if I remember correctly.

interesting, my rota boost's are 56.1mm and i can squeeze them on without having to bore it out. The previous owner of them did the same thing.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Monday, March 16, 2009 7:23 PM
[quote=BoltZ DesignZ™]
The01Cav wrote:our bore is 57.1mm, the scion tC, toyota corolla, toyota celica..... all use a 56.1mm center bore if I remember correctly.

interesting, my rota boost's are 56.1mm and i can squeeze them on without having to bore it out. The previous owner of them did the same thing.

Thats pretty interesting. If thats the case you should send them my way!!!!

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Monday, March 16, 2009 9:26 PM
BoltZ, I would check the bore of that hub on the Rota's again. I knew the original owner of the rims (Jay) and i'm pretty sure he had them machined out. I could be wrong but I think thats what I remember him saying.

Monday, March 16, 2009 9:38 PM
just make sure that you don't use the cavy lugs, you need to use the toyota ones or you will have a set of useless wheels very quickly

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search