width and offset question - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
width and offset question
Wednesday, October 01, 2008 12:28 PM
lookin at rims

sizes include

17x7.5 offset: +45

16x7 offset: +40mm

17x8.5 offset:

16x8 offset: +20mm

any of those too wide?

which one has the biggest lip?
and biggest lip that i can put on the cav?

Re: width and offset question
Wednesday, October 01, 2008 1:14 PM
the higher the number for offset. the more in it sits! the lower. the more out! so i would think the higher an offset the more of a lip it will have? makes sense 2 me.

your lip is goin' 2 vary between rims tho!

width wise. i'm runnig 18x8's and i'm fine. so any of those widths will be A okay!

WiGM-Tuners member.
Wednesday, October 01, 2008 1:25 PM
depends on the width of the wheel and all. its all based on simple math just calculating the width and offset numbers.

out of those three rims though, the first 2 will be fine, the last one will stick out too far. 20mm offset will not work with a j.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 1:36 PM
sorry, for got to include offset on 17x8

its says +4mm

only 4mm?

but is an 8.5 inch wide to widefor tha cav?

ok. so a bigger offset will work better on a cav?

so the 40/45 ones work then, right?

i guess my ideal question is whut is the widest rim with the biggest lip, in a 16" and 17"
rim without rubbing and still being able to turn, and not sticking out of fenders?

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 1:56 PM
You can get an 8.5 on a J, but not easily. It's got to be around +55 offset IIRC.

The 8" wide with +20 will absolutely not fit. That's a RWD offset.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 4:19 PM
ok, can u put the whole "+55 offset IIRC" part more simply? what does IIRC mean?
i have never done anything with wheels, if ya havent noticed!
so, im not really understanding. especially with 02 redbadged's reply with small offset means less lip.
and doenst more lip make rim stick out further? so wouldnt a +20 lip smaller than a +45 lip?
i always heard that RWD has a larger lip than FWD cars. thats y i am so confuzed!

and u said the 8.5's will not fit on easy.
rubbing? frame cutting? whut u have to do?

i just want the biggest lip, widest rim, WITHOUT modifying anything!
car is stock height now. but am lookin to do the Eibach drop with the Koni struts.
so it gotta fit under that too!

so whut ya guys think?
whut width and offset for my idea?

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 7:04 PM
seriously it's time to google. Do some research on rims and search these forums

Thursday, October 02, 2008 6:10 AM

Thursday, October 02, 2008 6:20 AM
offset does not mean the size of the lip

Read About Offsets

not to mention there is a ton of other great info on that site, just click the pull down menu and start reading.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, October 02, 2008 6:21 AM

Thursday, October 02, 2008 12:14 PM
ya, i HAVE searched.
and this is all i could find.

On J-BO:

people asking about offset and how wide they should go on 19", 20", 18", some 17", and those sizes on lowered cars, bagged cars, slammed cars.....

google:

chevy offsetting their money?
and other non important to rim things when typing in
"largest offset for chevy cavalier"
"widest rim for chevy cavalier" also came up with advertisements and some other bull about nothing i typed in!

I DID HOWEVER FIND FROM BOTH J-BO AND GOOGLE,
that MOST rims [for any car, that r aftermarket rims] USUALLY come in [when 17-18" for the most part] come in a 7-7.5" wide, with a +35/40-45mm offset [but mostly ive seen +42]

which is not helpin me caz
02 redbadged wrote:your lip is goin' 2 vary between rims tho!

and
Moar Candy! LAWL wrote:depends on the width of the wheel and all.

so considering those quotes, J-BO and Google didnt really help me that much!
because whut i got out of that is that offset and width is all relevant to size of rim.
\maybe im wrong on thinking that, but thats y i have posted this, asking for opinion, advice, and knowledge
by people that know j-body's, worked on them, and know whut works/fits for how i want my cav to look!

so considering i have done research, have not found whut i am looking for, posted here as, well if i said last resort, that would be a lie, but after looking at many other places before coming here, am asking here. can someone plz help me out???

i am wanting to know the biggest/smallest offset and the widest i can go on a 16 inch rim [i want it to look as deep dished as possible without doing a wide body kit or anything and still be able to turn the wheel lock to lock without hitting anything or rubbing.] also if u know a good tire size to go along with that so it all works would be awsome!

Thursday, October 02, 2008 12:48 PM
well not trying to be a dick but the reason you might not of found your answers is because your trying to search a very specific question that probably has never been answered. i was saying research because you will have to do alot of reading on different items to pile it all together.

bottom line the widest you can go on a cavalier is 8.5" wide. someone did that i think his name was robby s with a yellow cavalier, however the wheels did stick out about 1/2" past the fender and that was with a 35mm offset.

once you start getting to certain sizes like 16x8.5, you dont get a very good choice in offsets, so its up to you to calculate the numbers (converiting the mm to inches or visa versa) to determine if its going to work for you. there is so much in factoring what will work with you. some suspensions allow you to run differnet offsets because there is no longer a spring perch.

just because you can fit a 8.5" wide rim on the cav doesnt me its going to work best for you. you may have to settle for a 7.5 or even 8 inch wide rim to give you the best lip. its all about calculating. bummerz is good at doing all that calculating and im sure there is something on google that can calculate this kinda stuff for you too.

i think the biggest thing you need to figure out is how offsets work. read the link i posted. i didnt post it to be a dick but to give you a better understanding on how offsets work. on a j the ideal offset to use is 38mm to 45mm. depending on your suspension and fender rolling you can do as low as 35mm up to 48mm, hell i even think wild weasel is running a 50mm offset but thats do to his suspension.

i think with you trying to do with this jdm look your finding alot of wheels that are for 240s and such which have those 20mm offsets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, October 02, 2008 12:48 PM

Thursday, October 02, 2008 10:05 PM
i did give it a read.
still kinda hazy on it tho.
so pretty much untill i get the suspension all done,
i wont know whut i can do rim wise?

...they were the rims u see on civics alot.

Rota RB's [Bananna spoke rims, haha!]

i know they come in 15" in our bolt pattern, maybe 17" too[if i am remembering correctly], but i havent found anything on 16".
which is kinda lame, but i will have too keep looking! the site i was looking at, had a phone number to call about more sizes/bolt patterns and whutnot, but when i called operator recorded voice thing said it was not a real number. maybe if they have a e-mail posted up on the site i will ask through e-mail. [but to me, doesnt sound reputable place to buy if no way to contact them, lol]

Moar Candy! LAWL wrote:bummerz is good at doing all that calculating

whut/who is bummerz?

with the rims sticking out the 1/2" that u were talkin about up there,
can u still turn them all the way without rubbing them?

that would look tits!
is that legal?
...well i guess that depends where u live,
but 1/2" dont seem like TOO much,
but u think it would be illegal?

Friday, October 03, 2008 3:28 AM
im sorry i spelled his name wrong. Heres his profile.

with the rim sticking out 1/2" past the fender, your fine to ride around like that if you want but then its going to effect how low you can lower you car, you can only roll a fender so much.

as far as offsets go, pretty much its measured from the center of the rim to the back side of the hub on the rim. example would be this. say you have an 8" wide rim with a 42mm offset. this means from the center of the width of the rim (4"), you go 42mm towards the face of the rim and that will be where the back of the hub is.

its pretty easy to calculate all this stuff if you just do some simple math.

Friday, October 03, 2008 10:01 AM
I made a backspacing calculator that's pretty close. It's sufficient for comparing rims, and checking on typical rims, but if you're trying to fit anything wide on there, and check your strut clearance, I wouldn't bank 100% on it. Even with the same offset, there are minor variations in backspacing due to lip type, thickness, etc.:

Backspacing Calculator

BTW, IIRC has nothing to do with wheels and tires.

Moar Candy hit the point on the head about researching. Instead of just looking for the answer to your problem, if you learn about how wheels and tires are measured, you will be able to figure out the answer, and compare any wheels you might look at in the future. It's the old give a man a fish or teach him to fish addage.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:39 PM
have a real @!#$ up problem i read the stuff above and dont understand i have a 96 bagged cavy cut and roled fenders and am looking at a set of 18x8 rims with a 35mm offset will they tuck or do i need a different offset and width
Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:55 PM
18s wont tuck i dont think.. i had 18x8 on easystreets and i didnt even come close to tucking those wheels.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:00 PM
i got eazystreets on it now and i had 18s on and they tucked but dont no what width and oofset they where.....this guy on youtube has got 20s on his bagged cavy ..zdoubledozen.. and hes close was wandering about the offset if 35mm would stick out to far to drop the car or what off set i would need
Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:05 PM
pretty sure the guys tucking 20's are running wheels that are 7-7.5" wide or have done some serious modding to put them under the car.

a higher offset is going to tuck easier as it will be inside the fender (ie not "hella flush") but you'll need to be careful not to go too high or you'll be hitting the strut/bag.

18x8 with a +35mm are going to be pretty close to the outside of the fenders. they may tuck with a roll/pull

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:11 PM
so pretty much 18x7.5 40mm offset would work great
Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:32 PM
are you sure your 18s tucked? and not your tires? but yes a bigger offset would make it alot easier to tuck your wheels. just dont go to high.

these are 18x8 with a 48 offset

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:42 AM
how do you get pics up here and ill show you what im talking about. i have no inner fender lips they have all been cut and welded

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:34 PM
thanks for the advise guys i went with a set of drag dr9s 18x7 40mm offset on 215-35-18 should be in on friday will post pics as soon as i get them on
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:01 PM
and you still got the wrong size tire lol

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:13 PM
i guess you think im supposed to 225 40 18 right
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:04 PM
yup, 35s are for 19s on jbodies.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search