Got in an accident.. need advise - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Got in an accident.. need advise
Monday, June 28, 2010 5:12 PM
Last night on my way to my girlfriends house at about 9:30, I was coming around a turn in a residential area and a dog ran out in front of me. I didnt know what it was at first, but I swerved and slammed my front left tire into the curb and smashed it in.

The tire is now shoved back against the fender towards the door and it is tilted the wrong way. I called my insurance to file a claim this morning. Somebody else mentioned that when tired hit that hard they are sometimes meant to collapse in that fashion. Is there any truth to that!? Any thoughts?

"There were some Luddites with some kind of PC-based, primitive [operating system], I think it's called Windows, who couldn't figure out how I got a TV on the plane." Trent Reznor referring to peoples reaction to his PowerBook G4 Titanium

Re: Got in an accident.. need advise
Monday, June 28, 2010 8:51 PM
You for sure bent your inner tie rod. Those bend if you sneeze on them hard enough. By the way I picture it in my head you most likely bent a control arm and possibly a strut. Pics will help.

Did you kill Rufus?
Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:47 AM
Ryan Thompson wrote:You for sure bent your inner tie rod. Those bend if you sneeze on them hard enough. By the way I picture it in my head you most likely bent a control arm and possibly a strut. Pics will help.

Did you kill Rufus?

Yeah, this. Very similar incident happened to me last winter. I think our stock suspension bits are made of jello.
Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:45 AM
Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:54 AM
Thanks for the reply's. I'm trying to get pictures today. I have an insurance adjuster coming out tomorrow, but I'm thinking that this may cost less than my deductable... not sure what the cost of this will be to fix. I'm trying to get pictures so I can post here and also to print out and take to the mechanic behind my work to see what he says. If this isnt going to be thousands of dollars to fix, I'm gonna tell the insurance people to take a hike. I'd rather not deal with them.

"There were some Luddites with some kind of PC-based, primitive [operating system], I think it's called Windows, who couldn't figure out how I got a TV on the plane." Trent Reznor referring to peoples reaction to his PowerBook G4 Titanium
Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:09 AM
Probably much less than your deductible
Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:12 AM
Well.. I got some pictures coming... give me about 15 minutes... I didnt get any head on because the camera ran out of batteries =(

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:22 AM
Heres some pics.

From the front... the top of the tire sticks out a little to the right like it's leaning to the right and it's also turned a little to the left.....

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:15 AM
RoboticPotPie wrote:
Ryan Thompson wrote:You for sure bent your inner tie rod. Those bend if you sneeze on them hard enough. By the way I picture it in my head you most likely bent a control arm and possibly a strut. Pics will help.

Did you kill Rufus?

Yeah, this. Very similar incident happened to me last winter. I think our stock suspension bits are made of jello.

which would you rather bend? a control arm that can be unbolted and replaced or the frame?? in a hard impact, some components are designed to fail to protect the larger structure of the car.

contact your insurance company. it would be under comprehensive which USUALLY has a lower deductible.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:24 AM
Still.. you think the deductible is going to be less expensive than it would be to fix a bent control arm?

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:31 AM
strat81 wrote:
RoboticPotPie wrote:

Did you kill Rufus?

which would you rather bend? a control arm that can be unbolted and replaced or the frame?? in a hard impact, some components are designed to fail to protect the larger structure of the car.

contact your insurance company. it would be under comprehensive which USUALLY has a lower deductible.

Some components are designed to fail to protect the larger structure of the car? Really?
I figured because of the throwaway nature of these things that they would make them break easier to keep you going back the dealer so Mr. Goodwrench can have his way with you? (I know there is a Mr. Goodwrench on this forum somewhere... not referring to him)

Seems to me that many parts on these cars are designed with that in mind. I imagine the cobalts are worse.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:32 AM
thats some major curb rash on that wheel!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:36 AM
No kidding!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:54 AM
I hit a curb straight on last winter in my fire, didn't do any damage to the control arms, struts or tie rods that I remember being told, but it did crumple the entire subframe. came to about $1200 to replace that, 2 tires and one rim.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:12 AM
go insurance, get a good adjuster and upgrade components....

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 2:48 PM
i smacked a curb with my sedan (not head on though...) knicked a wheel and took a chunk out of the sidewall of the tire while dodging an animal.

comprehensive was a $100 deductible and the insurance company got me a new wheel and replaced the tire.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:51 PM
I talked to a mechanic and he said that if it bent the unibody frame or whatever that it would NOT be repairable. They would have to total out the car. He said he cant tell by looking at the pictures I showed without taking the tire off so.... ugh.

My insurance adjuster called today to go over my stuff.. and he said that I have a $500 deductible. I guess some other guy is supposed to be coming out tomorrow morning to look at the car.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:14 AM
Well.. the insurance guy came out this morning and took a look at the car.

He ordered 2 refurbished rims, a lower control arm, and inside wheel well pieces. He wasnt sure if I need a new strut or anything but my mechanic is going to be looking at the car around 2pm today. Looking at it, it appears that the back driver side tire is bowed out a little to the left as well. I never noticed that before.

Also, there was a little cosmetic damage to the bottom of the driver side bumper and he said that if I didnt mind that, he would waive my deductible. Nice.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:55 AM
Next time run that Bish over!

Mods: Synapse Charge Piping, Short Throw, Bad-Mab Dp, Dejon Intake, BYT Tuned!
Parts For SALE! Pacesetter Header(ECO),17'in Resonator, Alternator, Starter, Viper Alarm.
Wednesday, June 30, 2010 3:23 PM
I just went over and checked it out. Looks like the lower control arm is just bent to hell. Hopefully that's all. He's gonna replace that, as well as the rotor since there are chunks broken off of that. Also gonna replace the inside wheel well plastic since that got damaged.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:03 PM
TwitchOSX wrote:I just went over and checked it out. Looks like the lower control arm is just bent to hell. Hopefully that's all. He's gonna replace that, as well as the rotor since there are chunks broken off of that. Also gonna replace the inside wheel well plastic since that got damaged.
If they're just going to cut you a check, get yourself some 99 N-body arms, have them modded to fit (just a fill, cut, and redrill), throw in a set of Prothane bushings, and do the install work yourself. You'll have an upgrade that will cost less than having a body shop do the repair.

Thursday, July 01, 2010 5:01 PM
I have no clue what any of that means =)

I was just over there with the adjuster and they are going to replace the left side rocker panel since it got kind of screwed up.. (the adjuster was like .. uh... are you ok with this damage or should we replace it? They are kind of expensive)... lol. I told him I didnt want to depreciate the car any so he wrote it up for a new one. Also, the rear axle is bent so they are going to replace that. The adjuster was like.. "this is getting up there.. I don't want to total it out" and I look at the estimate and it's for like $1500 including labor. You arent gonna total out an 03 Cavalier LS Sport with only 62,000 miles on it for anything close to $1500.

Thursday, July 01, 2010 12:46 PM
((Super))KbRedCavy wrote:Next time run that Bish over!

X2 !@#$ Fido

<div><div id="zunecard_small" class="zunecard"></div><div><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://zcards.zune.net/xweb/lx/swf/zunecardmedium.swf" style="" id="flashUserCard" name="flashUserCard" bgcolor="#FFF" wmode="opaque" salign="tl" flashvars="baseURL=http%3a%2f%2fzcards.zune.net%2fzcard%2fusercardservice.ashx%3flcid%3d1033%26src%3dexternal%26zunetag%3dTroyG86" height="135" width="250"></div><div></div></div>
Thursday, July 01, 2010 1:51 PM
I suggest that you inspect the subframe and rack/pinion thoroughly. An impact that causes the lower control arm to bend, would definately bend the mounting points (of the lower control arm) on the subframe. If not, the impact would at least cause the bolts to seize into it or break the welds of the captured nuts. Hope your subframe isn't damaged.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Thursday, July 01, 2010 2:26 PM
He's checked that area I believe and they don't see any issues. He said he wont really know until it gets an alignment...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search