Cleaning rims. - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cleaning rims.
Friday, January 22, 2010 3:08 AM
I took my car to maaco to get it painted, they did not take off my rims.. I have the black msr085 and they have the polished lip, well the lip doesnt look so polished because some paint dust or sanding particles got on my rim from when they painted my car, well im trying to remove that and have my lip look polished again like when i first baught them..also they got on the color part of the rim..Any good ideas?

"No greater love than this that he lay down his life for his friend"....John 15:13

Re: Cleaning rims.
Friday, January 22, 2010 4:17 PM
go get your self a mothers powerball. get some polish and go to town with it. lol

Monday, January 25, 2010 3:27 PM
Meguiars claybar will take off overspray beautifully/safely.

Thursday, February 18, 2010 3:31 PM
TurtleWax rubbing compound worked good to get the black overspray on my silver hood when i painted my emblems.
Monday, February 22, 2010 5:06 PM
no to the turtlewax. I had the exact same problem with my car when i bought it. Believe it or not. Mothers mag and aluminum takes it off without taking off the clear. I have my Z rims to a stock metallic finish, not with the blue overspray they used to have.

Saturday, March 13, 2010 4:25 PM
small amount of reducer on a rag does it, just dont go nuts, wipe off the residue after each swipe should clear it up fine

www.driftnamiperformance.com
Saturday, March 13, 2010 4:59 PM
u used to get off the 4 years of dirt, tar, brake dust, and asphault pieces that was stuck on my wheels, and would not come off with a regular washing, some engine degreaser at 100% not diluting it at all, and they looked almost brand new afterwards!!!
so i would guess it should take just about anything off!

BEFORES:

AFTERS:

Saturday, March 13, 2010 7:30 PM
ouch you put your wheels face down on the ground?

Saturday, March 13, 2010 8:18 PM
azncav wrote:ouch you put your wheels face down on the ground?

And that would explain the scratches on the front

Danny
2004 Sunburst Orange Cavalier
check it out here @ www.cardomain.com/id/orange04cavy
Sunday, March 14, 2010 1:31 AM

tires fat enuff that the rims don't touch
scratches were already there. and little
hair scratches everywhere from the
scrubby brush maybe. but I'm pretty
sure they were like that already when
I bought the car....two of the rims have
already been curb'd by the previous owner!

Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:28 PM

i do it all the time. the tire is wider than the rim since the tires have rim guard. so it doesnt touch if its on a flat surface.

Monday, March 15, 2010 10:09 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

i do it all the time. the tire is wider than the rim since the tires have rim guard. so it doesnt touch if its on a flat surface.

Mine are the same way, it's really nice to have, not sure why all tires aren't like that? Too bad the guy that had them before me didn't know this and curbed em They are getting refinished here soon, so they will be good as new

Thursday, March 18, 2010 12:38 PM
rubbing compound should work dude ... turtle wax brand for like 3 bucks and try also if you want a clay bar

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:30 PM
Bringing this back, I have the snowflake rims on my vert. I have the powerball but I do not think the ball is small enough to get into all the gaps.
don't have a straight on shot of rims, but i am sure we know what these look like

Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:47 PM
Use a toothbrush.
When I had those god-forsaken rims, I'd spray them up with de-greaser (kaboom or grease lightning, something like that) let it sit there for 30 sec, spray them down, and then just give 'em a once over with regular car wash. Worked pretty well...

(circa 2007...)

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter
Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:52 PM
i have those wheels on my GT daily, what a pain to clean lol.
Saturday, August 14, 2010 1:37 PM
i swapped them over to the black z in the pic they actually look ok on it. im looking to clean them up and them trade them off. I have a desire to have some beretta wheels or something of the 5 spoke design

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search