Best tires for the winter - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best tires for the winter
Thursday, September 02, 2010 10:55 AM
I was just wondering if anyone had some ideas on tires that are good threw the winter that are decently priced. ive been looking at all seasons tires but didnt kno which ones would be best.......any ideas????thanx

Re: Best tires for the winter
Thursday, September 02, 2010 12:54 PM
I have the goodyear assurance triple treads. In my opinion they are by far the best looking all season tire. They are aggressive yet subtle. Also, they rate extremely well with wet, dry, and snow traction. From what I can depict however, they feel like the same grip as any other tire I have ever had. They are extremely quite and smooth with my experience.

Thursday, September 02, 2010 1:03 PM
I got the female goodyear assurance triple treads and so far are great in all weather, and are even decent on ice. There not as good as my snow tires, but they are the best all seasons in the snow I have ever witnessed. My buddy just bought his GF a set for her cavalier because of how good my wifes were in the deep snow.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, September 02, 2010 1:17 PM
I used to run all seasons in the winter, but I decided to run winter tires last year, and I will NEVER go back.

I had no clue that much grip was available in the snow, let alone on ice. And it made messing around in the snow even more fun, especially with older snow tires on the back of the car, haha. I pissed off a lot of mall cops with those tires.

I bought 2 Pirelli Winter Carving Edge snow tires for the front, which are studdable, but I'd rather not run studs. And I picked up a pair of BF Goodrich snow tires on sunfire rims for $20, kept the tires, and sold the two rims for $75 (I love Craigslist). It's easiest if you pick up a second set of wheels to keep them on all year.

And after one of the many late night driving sessions in a blizzard

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Thursday, September 02, 2010 5:49 PM
If snow tires arent an option, I have 4 goodyear eagle gts that were awesome in all of last years snow. Not too expensive either.

Monday, September 06, 2010 4:39 PM
after i got my summer tires 2 years ago i HAD to get at least a different set of tires for the winter. so i went with snow tires. i picked up 4 factory 14" steelies with 195/70/14 Firestone Winterforce tires. i love em. they're studable (legally cant use studs in jersey, but the option is there), have great deep snow traction and although feel a little squishy on the occasional tight corner, have still held up to the abuse i've put em through over the past 2 winters. and i've never gotten stuck. even after that time i don't see myself needing to buy new winter tires within at least the next 2 years. so my vote is with Transporter7220 for getting winter specific wheels/ tires.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 06, 2010 4:41 PM

Monday, September 06, 2010 5:24 PM
Last year i bought some General Altimax Arctic tires and i love them. Not real noisy, awesome in snow, rain and seemed to help with sliding/spinning in ice. Big factor for me was they are even good dry. Being we don't always have constant snow it had to be good dry too. Big thing with winter tires was they are designed to withstand freezing temperatures unlike some "not" all-seasons. So they constantly were a good tire. Definitly impressed me, I think they might actually be better then my Michelin destiny all-seasons in wet/dry but that may be because Michelin are juat hard tires.. I was worried be lowered could cause issues with clearance but i had no issues and these tires pulled through a lot.. i loved watching people goin 20mph in a 45mph zone and i was able to just move on at 45mph in the fast lane right past with complete control. granted these won't save you from idiotic driving but for careful and smart winter driving these were awesome and weren't too expensive either.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Altimax+Arctic

Thursday, September 09, 2010 9:50 AM
Stephen they are the same as I run on my HHR. they are GREAT in the snow.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, September 09, 2010 10:53 AM
if you can afford to, dedicated snows are the way to go.

nokian makes some awesome snow tires. the wifey has michelin x-ice's on her outback sport and that thing will go anywhere....

Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:54 AM
I have snow no name snow tires I got for cheap...

I go over to my buddies house.he lives on a farm and I usually cut through the one field.Only this time it wasn't plowed.About 20 inches of snow I went through that his gfs jeep got stuck in.

Get snow tires. You won't regret it.
Sunday, September 12, 2010 9:01 AM
I run Hankook iPike's during the winter and i can't complain, they're a great cheaper alternative to more expensive tires like the general's.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search