film left from wheel weight - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
film left from wheel weight
Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:06 AM
I just got my new tires yesterday.
and my question is dose anyone know a easy way to remove that sticker crap left from the wheel weight?
pisses me off they dont remove it after I bought $600 tires
thanks for any advice

I tried bumper sticker remover, and goop off Idk what else to use can't use a razor either!

Re: film left from wheel weight
Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:42 AM
did they put the tires on the wheels. mount and balance them and then remount them to your car torqued to spec. if so they did their job. don't be pissed.

what weights did you use. i am going to make the assumption taht you have the stick on weights inside the wheel and not on the lips. if that is the case then GOOF OFF or OOPs and a @!#$ ton of scrubbing. If you have access to a heat gun or hair dryer you can try to heat the adhesive up to remove it or put a polishing bit on dremal, the felt one not the metal wheel one.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:02 AM
American Henchman wrote:did they put the tires on the wheels. mount and balance them and then remount them to your car torqued to spec. if so they did their job. don't be pissed.

what weights did you use. i am going to make the assumption taht you have the stick on weights inside the wheel and not on the lips. if that is the case then GOOF OFF or OOPs and a @!#$ ton of scrubbing. If you have access to a heat gun or hair dryer you can try to heat the adhesive up to remove it or put a polishing bit on dremal, the felt one not the metal wheel one.

Ya they did do every thing to get the job done! But in all my line of work you don't leave something for the customer to clean up when you did it lol.

yes its the adhesive weight. haven't tried heat and the goop off that will probably work thanks. I just dont want any scratches or anything on the paint of the rims I bought less then 2 years ago.
Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:14 AM
ya- i worked on putting tires on vehicles for three year. and we did not give a @!#$. its not in the job description to clean it up and the fact of life is that 99% of people do not care, what they care about is if everything is done correctly.

Heat and GOOF off is what I used on mine. It worked every time. after you remount the wheels, i would retorque them after 50 miles.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:28 AM
you have a point on people not giving a %@&# about others. no argument there.

ok ill retorque after 50 miles wasn't informed of that to hahahha thanks for the info
Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:31 AM
Chris- you missed my point and that is okay i worded it wrong. People do not care about tires, all they want is are they good in winter and if i hit a nail can it be fixed other than that. no they do not care about tires. these are the same people who do not change their own oil or will pay 40 dollars to shop to put in a 10 dollar air filter.

with any mag wheel factory or not you should always retorque after 50 miles. its a good habit to get into.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:46 PM
whats this word winter lol jk live in az
its all good, idk i just love keeping my tires fresh looking and rims clean.

thx for the advice
Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:19 PM
I have never tried it on a wheel before but brake clean has always worked for me, heat gun helps sometimes aswell.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Saturday, January 21, 2012 7:14 AM
Rick wrote:I have never tried it on a wheel before but brake clean has always worked for me, heat gun helps sometimes aswell.

no that was a fail I tried it goop off and heat did it tho pretty much came right off .....
Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:33 PM
brake clean and a rag works supprisingly well, thats what we use at work
Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:33 AM
American Henchman wrote:with any mag wheel factory or not you should always retorque after 50 miles. its a good habit to get into.

Never though of that but it does make sense, steel wheels have the hub setup so you compress the steel and use it like a spring washer and aluminum wheels dont.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 4:02 PM
WD-40

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search