Just got some M/T Drag radials, need advice maybe??? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Just got some M/T Drag radials, need advice maybe???
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 3:07 PM
OK, so I just picked up a set of these....

Now, having never driven on anything other than regular street tires, (And doing pretty damn good I think. ) I'm just seeing if anyone on here can offer some advice or tips/tricks on using drag radials when launching??? I'm talking about tire PSI, burnout times, launch RPM's ect. Any comments are appreciated I will be using stock 15" steel J-body wheels as well. Maybe paint them a stupid color as well just for the hell of it.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Re: Just got some M/T Drag radials, need advice maybe???
Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:02 PM
I have used nitto drag radials, and found they liked alot of heat to grip well. I would do second gear burnouts to get them hot. Around 15psi. When I was n/a I launched around 3500RPM's.

FU Tuning

Friday, June 08, 2012 7:36 AM
Bump - Just got the same ones and am in the same situation as you having only ever used street tires and looks like about the same 1/4 mile times too. Advise anyone?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Friday, June 08, 2012 8:26 AM
To be honest I would of suggested to go with a set of slicks over a set of drag radials, as they tend to be a bit easier on drivelines....but since you already have them I will lend my advice anyways.

For tire pressure it will solely depend on your car to be honest, you will have to see what the car likes. I suggest starting at 15psi and drop the pressure one PSI at a time and see how it affects your 60' times and trap speeds. A trend will quickly start to show, remember tho that when the tires are hot after a run they will probably be a PSI or two higher than when you set them before the run. So you have to factor that in as well.

Burnouts, roll into the water box a quick spin in first gear to coat the tires with water is all thats needed, so much and you will toss water into the wheel wells and it will drip down onto your tires once your staged and you will lose traction. After you coat them roll up until the burnout box guy tells ya to stop, second gear and hold the ebrake up as tight as you can, spin them until you see a decent amount of smoke start to roll off the tires and then start to lower the ebrake until the car starts to roll out of the box, keep on the gas and then let off once the motor starts to bog down. I see to many people do their burnout and then not roll out of the box. This is bad as there could still be water infront of the tire and it will cause your tires to get wet all over again, and as well, they stray VHT a few feet ahead of the burnout box, by rolling out of the box you help coat the hot tire in traction compound.

As for lauching, this will all depend on your car again, you want some wheel spin, but not to much. The tires will make a sound when you get it right, almost sounds like someone pulling apart velcro...hard to describe but you will know the sound as soon as you hear it.

If you get wheel hop, let off right away or you will quickly start to break driveline stuff.

Hope that helps guys.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:39 PM
newt wrote:To be honest I would of suggested to go with a set of slicks over a set of drag radials, as they tend to be a bit easier on drivelines....but since you already have them I will lend my advice anyways.

For tire pressure it will solely depend on your car to be honest, you will have to see what the car likes. I suggest starting at 15psi and drop the pressure one PSI at a time and see how it affects your 60' times and trap speeds. A trend will quickly start to show, remember tho that when the tires are hot after a run they will probably be a PSI or two higher than when you set them before the run. So you have to factor that in as well.

Burnouts, roll into the water box a quick spin in first gear to coat the tires with water is all thats needed, so much and you will toss water into the wheel wells and it will drip down onto your tires once your staged and you will lose traction. After you coat them roll up until the burnout box guy tells ya to stop, second gear and hold the ebrake up as tight as you can, spin them until you see a decent amount of smoke start to roll off the tires and then start to lower the ebrake until the car starts to roll out of the box, keep on the gas and then let off once the motor starts to bog down. I see to many people do their burnout and then not roll out of the box. This is bad as there could still be water infront of the tire and it will cause your tires to get wet all over again, and as well, they stray VHT a few feet ahead of the burnout box, by rolling out of the box you help coat the hot tire in traction compound.

As for lauching, this will all depend on your car again, you want some wheel spin, but not to much. The tires will make a sound when you get it right, almost sounds like someone pulling apart velcro...hard to describe but you will know the sound as soon as you hear it.

If you get wheel hop, let off right away or you will quickly start to break driveline stuff.

Hope that helps guys.

Very good info.

FU Tuning

Saturday, June 16, 2012 12:25 AM
I did 22psi the last time I went to the track. Next time I get a chance, ill drop em down lower about 18 psi or so and start from there. Thanx for the advice.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Saturday, June 16, 2012 7:33 PM
MTs website recommended in the area of 14-18psi for us on those tires based off of diameter and weight. I did mine at 18. They gripped pretty good, but looked like they were damn near flat at that pressure. Turning was of course not easy at that pressure either getting onto the return lane and into the pits. I didn't do a burnout. Just staged and went. Gripped fine for me for the most part. Only time they broke loose was once the turbo came into full boost. Lost grip for maybe half a second. 60fts were 2.1s for the most part. In part due to lack of power off the line until the turbo spools. Overall, a good tire in my opinion.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Sunday, June 17, 2012 9:43 AM
like i said, i run 8psi in my radials and thats the best bite i get out of them.

As for wheel hop. I stay in it some when there is wheel hop. Ive seen too many people get out of it and thats when things snap. I dont back out all the way but I stay in it enough to keep it going down the track. The sudden stop and shock is what breaks things.

I also run radials because it lets me do a lot more races at the track. Some are radial only races and slicks are not allowed. Especially the midnight mayhem races. So I stick to a radial and get to run.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 10:36 AM
i prefer the M&H Racemaster street slicks over standard radials

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search