Plastidip - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Plastidip
Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:08 PM
Figured there would already be a thread on this stuff but I didn't find anything. Does anyone have any experience or good information on plastidip? My stock wheels are stained and uncleanable. Looked like maybe this was something I could do to cover it up...
This seems like something I would consider
Next question:
Does it really come off this easy? And, is that too easy? Meaning it will chip and look like !@$%

Discuss

"In Oldskool we trust"

Re: Plastidip
Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:27 PM
I've heard it fades like crazy....

I plan on spraying my wheels with it though... how faded can white get? lol

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:25 PM
I wouldnt recommend doing it to your wheels mainly because it will chip off very fast. And yes, it does peel right off. Any overspray can be removed with a microfiber towel and Goo Gone...or anything like that along those lines

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:34 PM
I sprayed my hood in the spring and its been fine. It sits out all the time and I have driven it about 3000 miles this way.

Hasnt chipped or faded. I havent tried to peel it off though. I figure if it starts to come off, i'll just re-spray over it again. I did like 4 coats though ( i think, i was pretty drunk when i started lol).

Its cheap and I literally did nothing to prep (i even painted over bugs LOL). I think if you wash the wheels and possibly lightly sand them, you should be able to get it to stick pretty good. After that its just a matter of keeping them maintained and since its cheap and easy to do that I would say go for it.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:36 PM
I used these on my wheels on my xB, and the only complaints I had was that it got dirty quickly (obviously since I used white). But as long as you lay down nice thin layers, and do atleast 5 coats, it lasts really good, and comes off easily when you want it to.

From this....

To this..

I had it on for about two months, then was tired of cleaning them, but still may go back..

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:23 PM
I did mine with the black base and gold metalizer over it about 7 months ago and it has not chipped or started to peel at all, except where I hit the curb while parking. It has held up very well, and cleans really easy with some car wash soap. I haven't taken it thru a automatic wash so I don't know if that would cause it to peel or not, but I also don't plan on taking it thru one so I won't ever find out.

A friend of mine did his with the white on a set of stock 03-05 alloys and it looked really nice. Only downfall of the white is how dirty it got so fast. He got real sick of cleaning it from all the brake dust so we just pealed it off in a few mins.

It really is a great way to change up the color of your wheels quick and cheap, and with the amount of colors available now the possibilities are endless.

Just for reference, this is what they looked like right when I was done, and that was about 5 coats of black and 6-7 light coats of the gold:

Hope this helps

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:46 PM
I used a can per wheel and looks great but white gets dirty easily

and to take off is really easy

Thursday, November 01, 2012 1:07 PM
Wow looks great. Thanks for all the pics guys. I think this is something I'm going to try out; cheap and easily reversible. I have 05 LS Sport rims. I'm thinking I'll tape just the faces of the spokes where it's polished really nice and black plastidip the rest. Not sure if it'll build up too much and look like #$#! but I can always start over if it looks bad. I'll post pictures when it happens!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, November 01, 2012 2:58 PM
it's really popular in the Lancer world... Maybe too popular.

Thursday, November 01, 2012 4:15 PM
I did a set of LSS for my brother in law. looks great btw ill get pics later

DOPER.
Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:32 PM
REDECO wrote:I did a set of LSS for my brother in law. looks great btw ill get pics later

Thanks man, I'm interested in any ideas.

"In Oldskool we trust"

Sunday, November 04, 2012 9:20 PM
These aren't on J-Bodies but I found these on Google.

Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:40 PM
My close friend did his whole car in it. looks great

"Is that your exhaust or is that the sound of someone deflating a cat?"
Thursday, November 08, 2012 7:43 PM
whole car in plastidip flat black

Thursday, November 08, 2012 7:48 PM
pretty much if you really want to learn more and get the right stuff to really do it, visit here

www.dipyourcar.com

Thursday, November 08, 2012 8:04 PM
i did the filler panel on my trunk, and it looks awesome. i plan on doing my wheels flat black on day, maybe with a white lip. or all white wheels.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:29 PM
My roommates grille on his Accord is dipped. It actually holds up pretty well and hasnt faded.

And I had white wheels. Trust me. Its not the Plasti Dip getting dirty easy.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search