Tires rub fenderlining after swap - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tires rub fenderlining after swap
Monday, February 25, 2013 8:23 AM
I recently swapped my wheels from my 2000 base sedan over to my 2005 base coupe and now im getting tire rub against the inner fenderlining in the passenger wheel well during full turns of the wheel. My sedan is dropped on Tenzo R springs with kyb struts and ive never had an issue rubbing. The coupe is still at base height while i wait for new suspension parts, so im wondering if i should dremel the lining where it rubs or try swapping the lining over from the sedan. Like i said, it only rubs on the passenger side when making right turns, and im positive its the fender lining and NOT the fender itself. Any ideas on my next step?

Re: Tires rub fenderlining after swap
Monday, February 25, 2013 9:04 AM
in for the info , mine does as well and im only on a pro kit.

Modding my j since I found the org
Monday, February 25, 2013 9:17 AM
Because it only rubs one side... the engine cradle is not centered and not square. This is fairly common problem. If you centered the cradle it should clear both sides. Normally the engine cradle is towards the passenger side of the car. Specifically if the car was in accident, and if the engine or trans was ever removed / replaced.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, February 25, 2013 10:48 AM
lol, fender liners.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:00 PM
How would i go about centering the engine cradle? Is this something I need to take it into a shop for?
Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:55 PM
My old Z24 had a similar issue. The subframe was pushed back about an inch, and was not even on both sides. The car must have been in a front end collision. The wheels did not sit in the center of the wheel well. I had the subframe replaced and everything was much better. They never did sit perfect again, but they were even from side to side.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:21 PM
There are six bolt that hold this into the unibody.
Under the vehicle up front in the center by the firewall and exhaust hanger, there are two bolts.
On each side, where the axles come thru behind the knuckle, there is essentially an axle opening in the frame components, there is one bolt on each side on the top side of these openings.
The other two are kinda right under the fender. Look where the fender meets the rocker panel just behind the front tires. Go under the car about 1 foot, there are your last two bolts.
You might also have to loosen the lower dogbone on the passenger side, and the radiator support on the drivers side.

Loosen all of these slightly, and align the subframe with a stationary part of the car on both sides.
Tighten all bolts to OEM torque spec.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search