plasti dip two tone??? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
plasti dip two tone???
Monday, March 18, 2013 3:00 PM
hello im new on this fourm and i just purchesed a sef of cavi rims for my sunfire. i am looking to paint them, i have 2 options i could do.
option 1 i could just use regular paint
or option2 try the plasti dip,

the problem i have is i want to paint my rims blackish gray with a dark red ring on the lip body colour. has anyone 2 toned a rim with plasti dip for both colours and what procedures were taken, also photos please

Re: plasti dip two tone???
Monday, March 18, 2013 7:26 PM
Plasti dip is very easy to work with. If you do stripes or 2tone, you have to use a different method of applying the paint than if you just spray an entire surface and let it dry. Anything with a definitive line needs to have the tape removed WHILE its still wet or it'll pull up the plasti dip.

I would do the whole wheel black, then go back and paint over the lip after you've taped it off good and do the lip on top of the black, with red. I dont see why the plasti dip wouldnt bond with the plasti dip after a fresh coat. if you have any questions (Cause i may be all wet on this), shoot dipyourcar.com an email. you can find them on youtube too with how-to videos, they generally answer pretty quickly

i just did my roof black because i had clear coat starting to oxidize...if my neighbor hadnt interrupted me and let it dry a little, it would have turned out perfect. but the beautiful thing about pd, is you can mess up, peel it off (if you do enough coats), and respray! good luck

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:25 AM
blu04DD wrote:Anything with a definitive line needs to have the tape removed WHILE its still wet or it'll pull up the plasti dip.

Wow thank you I did not know that but it makes a lot of sense. Planning on partially dipping my LSS rims soon.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:46 PM
thanks alot blu04DD. very helpfull, i did otherwise know that the tape has to be removed when wet. now another question is could i just use regular spray paint on the plasti dip? would it just peal off when if i remove the plasti dip? suprisingly there arent any vidios or wright ups that i can find online where a two tone or stripes were both sprayed with plasti dip
Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:43 PM
yeah i learned the hard way. but this stuff is like legos..if you dont like it, tear it apart and redo it! I have like 9 cans of matte black just cause...its a lot cheaper by the can at the hardware store too than from dipyourcar's website. They even offer 'touch up' kits if you do end up doing it wrong in certain areas and they offer some really cool techniques to do a carbon fiber look, which i may toy with on my roof and door pillars. The temperature outside, distance the can is from the surface (6" vs 12" etc), the speed you move across, the amount of over lap per line (i believe 70% is desired), all makes a difference.

post your pics..im debating my wheels right now

Saturday, March 23, 2013 5:19 PM
deff will post pics once i figure out how and i have to find somewhere that sells it off the shelf
Sunday, March 24, 2013 11:44 AM
Really any hardware store like Menards, Home Depot, etc. should have it. I've found it in the spray paint section.

Dave

Monday, March 25, 2013 2:02 PM
what he said. I got mine at Lowes, but Home Depot also sells it.
Im surprised its not bein sold in Auto Parts stores yet..they'd sell them by the boxes lol. The people at Advanced Auto Parts didnt even know what plastidip was when I asked haha

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:23 AM
Yea but no where hear in tillsonburg seems to know what it even is. They all know and have the plasti dip for tools. Kinda tired of explaining what it is lol. I'm gonna try a few places in London when I'm there next
Friday, May 03, 2013 10:52 PM
Amor all came up with this. Protect your wheels from brake dust build up and from road tar – with Armor All® Custom Shield™ Coating, you get protection plus cool looking wheels as well. Change the look of your car’s wheels easily --- just spray on and peel off.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search