Best way to paint wheels? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best way to paint wheels?
Thursday, January 02, 2014 6:15 PM
I was originally going to plastidip them but reading that they'll get dirty fast and peel off pretty quick. Is there any other way to paint them besides a body shop? Prefer glossy black..

Re: Best way to paint wheels?
Thursday, January 02, 2014 8:09 PM
Basically if your wheels are in good condition clean them really well then scuff them up with some high grit sand paper (500 or so). After that spray your primer, sand again to a smooth finish. Then spray your base coat. You want to make sure there are no runs from here on out, you can sand primer but if your base coat runs you'll have to restart. Spray light coats to make sure there won't be running. You'll want to let the coats dry before spraying another. Then clear coat them this will add some shine so don't worry if your base coat isn't glossy enough for your taste. You'll want to do at least two coats to protect them well. After that your done. For best results I'd remove any wheel weights from the outside of the wheel and have them rebalanced with the weights behind the spokes. Check out this video. I really like their explanation.
Thursday, January 02, 2014 8:13 PM
I forgot to mention, I dipped my wheels. Your not going to get a glossy finish with dip. My back wheels have been good how ever my fronts were very sensitive to the brake dust so if you decide to I'd recommend you clean them gently and often.
Thursday, January 02, 2014 11:13 PM
My dip doesn't get dirty at all. Use the mequires quick mist detailer after the dip is dry. That will put a small amount of wax on it.
As for glossy you can use a glossifier on top of the dip to make it glossy. Give it a try or send the wheels out professional finished.
Friday, January 03, 2014 7:58 PM
I would originally doing to do the black dip, but I travel around 60 miles, highway daily and I hear that they'll fly off the wheel 80 mph down the road...can anybody say this is true or?
Saturday, January 04, 2014 2:23 PM
I've done well over that speed with mine. No problem with the dip. I did about 4 coats IIRC.
Saturday, January 04, 2014 8:23 PM
Just like posted if your wheels are in good shape you wanna clean them with hot soapy water, let dry, and i would use red scotch bright pads or 3M scuff pads. Alot easier to get in the cracks. Scuff till there completely dull no shine at all. then wipe down with a pre clean or mineral spirits. Make sure you wipe them down good and clean. Then light to medium wet coats of primer. Get good coverage. Then scuff that and wipe it clean as well. Then its time for paint. Light to medium coats of base 5min apart till you get good coverage let stand 5-10 min then shoot clear in same steps. Light to medium coats 5-10 min apart till you get good coverage. If you want a deep gloss do 4-5 coats that way you can wet sand and buff and have enough mills of material to not sand threw and give a deep shine :-) wait at least 24 hours to wet sand. And enjoy your nice ass wheels :-) and make sure you tell the tire guys you want sticky weights so they dont screw up your new paint job

I Love My J ♡
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search