Using rustoleum never wet on steelies? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Using rustoleum never wet on steelies?
Friday, March 14, 2014 4:28 PM
I was just thinking about simple stuff to do with my car as it starts to warm up and I am going to get rid of the ugly stock wheel covers. I've gotten rid of one, ice + road sign x highway speed= dented in fender destroyed wheel tire and smashed plastic cover. So since I'm not paying 5-10 dollars on a new cover they're all coming off but I want to do a new coat of black paint on my stick steelies since there is a little bit of surface rust on some of the edges.

What do you think of using never wet on them? I figure it should prevent new rust and maybe keep them looking a little cleaner? Has anyone tried this?

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.

Re: Using rustoleum never wet on steelies?
Saturday, March 15, 2014 6:09 AM
Never wet will leave a white milky look to it. It does not dry clear.

Saturday, March 15, 2014 6:13 AM
Is that with all of the types I was thinking about black spray paint then the frosted clear never wet over it. Just asking since there are a few different colors.

Sunday, March 16, 2014 6:58 PM
They sell the wheel paint. I heard 1 can does all 4 wheels so I'd try to do it like that. The other option would be to use brush on which is even cheaper and fine for this app imo especially with foam brushes that leave no brush marks. A few weeks ago I got 1 qt of rusto semi gloss black for 8.50 and a 12 pack foam brushes for another buck at walmart. Pretty cheap. It should be enough to cover plenty of parts on multiple vehicles and projects. The other day I put 1 coat on the bar that the front bumper mounts to. I just carefully masked off the plastic bumper mounts where its attached. It turned out good.

Last year I got a tiny can of the same and carefully masked off and painted the interior seat brackets/posts with 2 coats. It also turned out good.
Sunday, March 16, 2014 7:07 PM
Awesome! I'll give it a try then

Sunday, March 16, 2014 7:47 PM
Like I said I'd probably get 1 can of the wheel spray paint at parts store. I would think if directions were followed both products would do the job though. prep, sand, wipe clean, and paint. I'd put a couple light coats on all 4 wheels before trying to cover if I was spraying... light coats so paint doesnt run
Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:02 AM
The wheel paint they sell is made for aluminum wheels, to match common factory colors. For steel wheels, the best thing would be POR15, but if you wire brush, sand, or blast the wheels properly, any decent automotive primer and paint will work.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:52 PM
I googled it and on the duplicolor site it says it covers steel aluminum and plastic wheels. Ive never used the product but I've seen it

When I painted my dash, I just grabbed a can of krylon in a color I liked (satin dark blue), but it was an outdoor kind that said glass wicker everything but plastic when i got it home lol... I used it. Put a few coats of duplicolor clear after that. All worked fine.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search