power steering delete PS bypass - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
power steering delete PS bypass
Sunday, March 08, 2015 2:49 PM
2001 cavvy 2200 motor. PS (power ASSISTED steering) quit years ago, lines/rams removed and long gone etc. I prefer the natural feel. Left pump in place, due to belt routing, well now that fried and threw the belt last fall. None of my other cavvys match up with this 01, not that I'd rebuild the power assist system.

I miss the old days of unbolting the pump and throwing it on the scrap pile. Save a few pounds, one less belt to replace, and a couple extra hp that way. On the 2.2 it was a matter of running a smaller serpentine belt, but this motor is slightly different. Curious if anyone's done this successfully without modifying the alternator bracket, as that's my first guess. I could leave a bolt out and drill the upper arm for an old-school adjustable setup, but would rather save that for a last resort. A belt part number would be great. I already tried a couple I found via googling; they didn't work.

Thanks in advance!
Jack

Re: power steering delete PS bypass
Sunday, March 29, 2015 9:17 AM
anyone here bypassed the power steering on the 2200? Car has ac but I don't care about that. Just want the water pump and alternator. I could do without the alternator but gotta have the water pump. Don't feel like converting that to 12v.
Re: power steering delete PS bypass
Sunday, March 29, 2015 1:47 PM
Just need to get a stretch belt. The rack will eventually fail and blow apart unless you rebuild it into a manual rack. Very unsafe to leave the power rack in there.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search