LS Rims on my 92 - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LS Rims on my 92
Tuesday, March 06, 2018 12:35 AM
I bought a set of LS wheels a couple years ago. Got a great deal on them at LKQ, I think they were around $135.00.
Finally painted them and got a set of tires. I used Metal Cast Smoke on the face side, Graphite wheel paint on the back side and SprayMax 2K Glamour Clear urethane over the painted areas. Very pleased with how they came out, though I did have to put a little too much of the Metal Cast on to get a uniform finish. Came out a little darker then I wanted, but I can live with it.

Put them on my 92.
Attachments
Side.jpg (1872k)

Re: LS Rims on my 92
Wednesday, March 07, 2018 9:08 AM
butch nackley wrote:Very pleased with how they came out,.

Yeah, those look really nice. I've been debating on purchasing a set from my local yard here in Michigan but I never am sure. Yours looks OEM almost. I see the painted caliper and drum as well. Nice touch.

-Infamous Ob
Wednesday, March 07, 2018 2:14 PM
Nice rims and car, Butch! Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 5:57 PM
Thanks guys

You can read the story on them in this thread at v6z24.
http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/wheel-painting-t135585.html

These are the only factory Cavalier wheels I really liked. Well, that isn't entirely true. I like the 5 spoke 1gen z24 wheels too.

Got lucky finding these. I was about to buy a set from someone, but we were not settled on a total shipped price yet. However, I did wind up spending far less by seeing these in the yard. Funny thing was, I went to get something off a 2nd gen that was in the LKQ Tampa yard. Well, sitting catty-corner to the car I went to see, was a blue LS with these wheels on it. I had to drive over to Autozone to buy a set of lug nuts, to get the special tool that takes the lug nuts off. Thankfully the lug nuts were the same spline type, so I was able to remove the wheels. They are all in great shape. Never curbed or anything. Great deal, imo.

If you like these of any of the factory wheels, better get them while the getting's still good. Soon they won't be many turning up in yards anymore.
Wednesday, February 12, 2020 3:20 PM
Looks great!
Wednesday, August 05, 2020 7:52 AM
Nice Rims! It looks like that American Racing Wheels that I have been eyeing on 4wheelonline.
Wednesday, August 05, 2020 5:53 PM
Clint Smith wrote:Nice Rims! It looks like that American Racing Wheels that I have been eyeing on 4wheelonline.

There are tons of different wheels out there, but I just kinda liked these and since they were factory GM wheels, I decided on them. I may get something else for it down the road. No plans to, but imagine I will someday. Don't really like the Phase II Z24 wheels. They (the 92's original wheels) are on my wagon now. And I've got a 94 Z24 which also its the original wheels. So, that is two sets to be replaced, someday. As you can see in the background behind the 92, is my 88 with aftermarket wheels. I really don't like stock Z24 wheels, EXCEPT the 1st gen 5 spoke. I always thought they were pretty good looking. I'm not interested in getting a set though.
Thursday, August 06, 2020 7:19 AM
butch nackley wrote:
Clint Smith wrote:Nice Rims! It looks like that American Racing Wheels that I have been eyeing on 4wheelonline.

There are tons of different wheels out there, but I just kinda liked these and since they were factory GM wheels, I decided on them. I may get something else for it down the road. No plans to, but imagine I will someday. Don't really like the Phase II Z24 wheels. They (the 92's original wheels) are on my wagon now. And I've got a 94 Z24 which also its the original wheels. So, that is two sets to be replaced, someday. As you can see in the background behind the 92, is my 88 with aftermarket wheels. I really don't like stock Z24 wheels, EXCEPT the 1st gen 5 spoke. I always thought they were pretty good looking. I'm not interested in getting a set though.

Yes, the 1st Gen 5-Spoke rims are good looking, indeed.
Thursday, August 06, 2020 5:11 PM
Clint Smith wrote:

Yes, the 1st Gen 5-Spoke rims are good looking, indeed.
They are 14" aren't they?
I'm kinda changing my mind a little. Actually I think I would like to get a set for my wagon, sometime, maybe. I'm not looking for a set, but if I happen to see some in a junkyard,,,, the price was fair, they were in good shape,,,, maybe.
Tires in the correct size are hard to find, I think. I believe 215/60r14 was the correct size for my 88 Z24 (14" checkerboard wheels). BFGoodrich did/does make them in that size, but they are pretty expensive.

I've got a set of 205/60r15 BFG's I bought when I got the wheels for the 88. Decent price back then, in that size. But, I bought the wheels and tires as a combo, so there was likely a discount in the deal, I don't remember.
Tuesday, April 27, 2021 8:39 AM
Have you bought a set of rims by now?
Tuesday, April 27, 2021 4:14 PM
Those look great on your Gen 2 Z24!

My first Cavalier was a 90 Z24 3.1 hardtop with the 5-speed. I had the blue one with the gray ground effects, the sunroof, and the black spoiler/luggage rack on the trunk that I never used but looked good.

That car had incredible highway mileage cruising along in 5th gear. I drove from Boston to Cleveland one time in the dead of winter and made it all the way to Erie PA before I had to gas up.

The muffler rusted out when it was 2 years old so I replaced it with a thrush turbo and a glasspack exhaust dual tip to keep it looking more or less stock. It had less back pressure and was actually quieter as in less farty sounding with a more bassy exhaust note.

You could really feel the difference in acceleration as it took what was already bad torque steer under hard acceleration and made it even more severe. Still, I wish that I still had it.

I have a similar set of the brushed aluminum version of the LS style rims set aside for my 5-speed 98 sedan. (Also pulled from a LKQ yard)

99LN2

Tuesday, April 27, 2021 4:52 PM
Clint Smith wrote:Have you bought a set of rims by now?
If you're asking me if I bought a set of 1st gen wheels,,, then no, I haven't.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search