Want change wheel color but how? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Want change wheel color but how?
Sunday, August 05, 2007 2:36 AM
Hi guys, been research about how to paint wheel and there are two method to do. one is powercoat and one is spray. whats different?

I got mitsubishi fto stock wheel 16" and its silver. want to color them yellow. is it possible?

because most pics I found were all black or white. why pople color wheel black or white? is it because only available color to paint?

Just trying to do something in my life...

Re: Want change wheel color but how?
Sunday, August 05, 2007 7:27 AM
you can use any paint you want. all you have to do is use a scuff pad and scuff the heck out of them. them tape off what you dont want painted. spray a few layers until its fully covered. then clear if you want to.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 10:26 AM
I WOULD PERSONALLY GET THEM POWDERCOATED! ITS COSTS LIKE 125 A WHEEL BUT ITS WELL WOTH IT..PAINT WILL PEEL WITH TIME..HOPE I HELPED U
Sunday, August 05, 2007 10:28 AM
joshua kessell wrote:I WOULD PERSONALLY GET THEM POWDERCOATED! ITS COSTS LIKE 125 A WHEEL BUT ITS WELL WOTH IT..PAINT WILL PEEL WITH TIME..HOPE I HELPED U

paint doesnt peel off... only if you prep it wrong. dont feed misinformation. your pretty much saying paint will peel off cars and you should powdercoat them.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 2:37 PM
Primer Beast (TGM) wrote:
joshua kessell wrote:I WOULD PERSONALLY GET THEM POWDERCOATED! ITS COSTS LIKE 125 A WHEEL BUT ITS WELL WOTH IT..PAINT WILL PEEL WITH TIME..HOPE I HELPED U

paint doesnt peel off... only if you prep it wrong. dont feed misinformation. your pretty much saying paint will peel off cars and you should powdercoat them.

But he typed it in caps so it's gotta be true

Sunday, August 05, 2007 5:40 PM
nope i sure didnt say that! but i did say that painted wheels peel. If u wanna paint them then do it! I was just mearly stating that powdercoating is a good way to go! And no im not pretty much saying that paint peels off of cars either. I have known many people that paint for a living and i also work very closely with a few people that paint for a living and they will say the same thing! THANKS FOR THINKING THAT U KNOW ME THOUGH!
Monday, August 06, 2007 12:27 AM
John W(Ranger1316) wrote:
Primer Beast (TGM) wrote:

But he typed it in caps so it's gotta be true

It can be true as I pay that much to professional person to do them but I want do it myself as I feel good .

Any way anybody know how to do power coat?

Is it hard?

Just trying to do something in my life...
Monday, August 06, 2007 4:36 AM
I know how. You have to have all of the right equipment... it's not real hard. I've been doing it for a couple of years. Probably not even as time consuming as spray painting. I just did my Z wheels in gloss black. They look pretty sweet. I'll have to post some pictures when I get home.
Monday, August 06, 2007 4:59 AM
1) search this forum for painting wheels. someone posted a good link from csi about painting wheels. how to prep them and paint them.

2) painting wheels can chip. hell any paint can chip off. i agree that powder coating would be the way to go if you want to change rims colors, however if you dont have the money then painting is the cheapest option. powder coating is baked on and is very hard to take off. the rim will dent before the powder comes off.

Monday, August 06, 2007 9:27 AM
joshua kessell wrote:nope i sure didnt say that! but i did say that painted wheels peel. If u wanna paint them then do it! I was just mearly stating that powdercoating is a good way to go! And no im not pretty much saying that paint peels off of cars either. I have known many people that paint for a living and i also work very closely with a few people that paint for a living and they will say the same thing! THANKS FOR THINKING THAT U KNOW ME THOUGH!

ever feel like reaching into the screen and pulling a poster out and beating the living crap out of him? I do.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 11:21 AM
dude chill out...heres the real deal! most people when u tell them to paint there wheels will go down to home depot or ace hardware and pick up some cheap ass krylon rattle cans and paint the rim and when they curb the dam rim and that causes the paint to peel..i was just mearly stating that powder coating will not come peeling off like paint will. keep your panties on man! and if ur calling me a poser? get it right man..i used to be a member of j-bom and used to frequent the bash's and all that good stuff and then i took a career change and moved to tucson az. sience then i have not been involved anymore. Oh and i was a mamber of j-body.org under the same name bluebrigade starting in like 1997 when i started k&b compact styles in grand blanc mi in 1998. Im not trying to start any @!#$ on here i just enjoy cars just as much as everyone else on here. And i am a registered cavalier owner. I have been around people in the j-body orginization for over 9 yrs now but i didnt visit the forums that much..I would appreciate it if next time u dont attack me like that and just try to get along with me..im not an enemy..merely a guy that likes the same stuff u do...lata

Thursday, August 09, 2007 9:26 PM
ok, guys, don't get the thread locked...

Anyway, IMO, paint is better for most people, most of the time, (and there's always exceptions) because it is cheaper and because if you don't like it, you can easily strip it off and try a different color, and if you like it, you can have it powdercoated if you feel it's worth it.
Powdercoating is much more expensive, whether you have it done professionally or do it yourself because it requires special equipment, including an oven, and not the one in your kitchen- you will never want to use that oven for food again (I don't have any personal experience, but i've heard that from everyone I've talked to who has done it).

Regardless of which way you go (paint or powder), it has to be done right to look good and to last. If you do it wrong, it will probably look pretty crappy, and/or it will come off pretty quickly.

LD9 F23 FTW!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search