Can we fit these wheels? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can we fit these wheels?
Saturday, July 03, 2010 1:45 PM
Is it possible to fit 18x8.5 with a 44mm offset on a j-body (98 Sunfire)?? Will the fronts be rubbing at all - maybe on the inside liners a bit under full turns I would assume and on a side note.. I don't have a strut perch as the car is on coilovers. So I know the rears will probably fit nice - it's mostly the fronts I am concerned about.. If anyone is running similar size/offset wheels let me know.. I tried searching around but did not come across any threads with 18x8.5 wheels with a high offset. Also was going to run 225/40/18 for less sidewall and to get the car lower without as much rubbing issues.

Thanks

Re: Can we fit these wheels?
Saturday, July 03, 2010 5:58 PM
thats a pretty high offset. im runnign 18x8 with 35mm in front and i rub. but then again im pretty low.. really depend how low you plan on going. but 44 might be pushing it. you need a lower offset. the rears will look like a sunkin ship eitherway. if not try running some spacer.

Sunday, July 04, 2010 2:32 PM
Thx for the advice I also realize that 44 is a very high offset and I figured I might need some shims up front and maybe a larger adapter in the rear to get the wheels to sit nicely... but I have a few questions if you don't mind...

Where is the rubbing in the front with your wheel?? Is it rubbing the wheel liner or actual metal?

Also is it only under full turns? Could you avoid it by not cranking the wheel all the way when meneuvering around parking lots?

But, I don't mind having to run no wheel liners for summer months or trim them down a bit if need be...

I have 2x 1/4" ( roughly 6mm) ( which should bring the offset to the high 38ish which might be ok) I could use on the fronts and maybe I will buy some 1/2" for the rears.
Sunday, July 04, 2010 3:18 PM
no im rubbing at all on my wheels liner. only because i dont have them lol. also i rub at full lock and on slight left turns. to the point where you can smell rubber. the rubbing is happens on the top of the wheels wells.

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 7:02 PM
azncav wrote:no im rubbing at all on my wheels liner. only because i dont have them lol. also i rub at full lock and on slight left turns. to the point where you can smell rubber. the rubbing is happens on the top of the wheels wells.

I dont rub at all with 9in wide 35mm wheels and 235's but you also ride your car alot lower then I keep satch.

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 9:02 PM
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:
azncav wrote:no im rubbing at all on my wheels liner. only because i dont have them lol. also i rub at full lock and on slight left turns. to the point where you can smell rubber. the rubbing is happens on the top of the wheels wells.

I dont rub at all with 9in wide 35mm wheels and 235's but you also ride your car alot lower then I keep satch.

yea lol ... im even lower right now.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search