cobalt steering wheel... revisited - Page 2 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: cobalt steering wheel... revisited
Saturday, January 15, 2011 5:18 PM
Which year does that Cobalt wheel come from? My wheels chewed up and Id rather use the Cobalt one if I could.

Any idea what the 100% force of the Cobalt one is? I mean Js may use a lower force airbag (older safety standards) and you may be able to get away with the 70%.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 2:10 AM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:Which year does that Cobalt wheel come from? My wheels chewed up and Id rather use the Cobalt one if I could.

Any idea what the 100% force of the Cobalt one is? I mean Js may use a lower force airbag (older safety standards) and you may be able to get away with the 70%.

do I have output data for the gas modules on the J vs the Delta? No. But you're backwards.. newer SRS setups are designed to use less energy because people were getting injured from deployment of the airbag in less severe accidents.

Part of the reason why there was a move to dual stage SRS... that way the computer could decide on how to deploy the bags.

I was comfortable driving a car with no airbag in front of me, so hooking up the 1st stage of the cobalt bag (assuming I use that gas module and not the Js) will be more than enough peace of mind for me.

Sunday, January 16, 2011 2:11 AM
and I think the 3 spoke wheel is from 2008+

Sunday, January 16, 2011 8:41 AM
Sounds good. Keep us posted!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:15 PM
update.

got my leather cobalt steering wheel today, it is a 100% bolt on.

my car is 2004, so if there WAS a change to the steering shaft at some point mid year in 2003, older j-bodies MIGHT have to update to the newer style steering column... but I don't know this for sure.

all I need to do now is get a cobalt airbag and decide what I'm going to do from there.

the radio controls do interface thru the cobalt's clockspring, so I'm going to either have to retrofit that into the jbody somehow, or just throw away the idea of having radio controls at all.

one other problem, the cobalt steering wheel doesn't have a hole for the jbody power source for the horn to goto.. so I either REALLY have to adapt to the cobalt clock spring, OR again, ditch the idea of radio controls and just drill a hole in the cobalt wheel for the power wire to fit thru so the horn will work.

progress is a beautiful thing... the cobalt wheel is the same diameter as the Jbody wheel, but with the leather it feels sooooooooo much nicer.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:28 PM
Looks good like I said in the texts.

This also means the 03+ guys now have a steering wheel adapter available as well though.

Cobalt Addiction custom made MOMO hub

HUB SPACER BLOW OUT SALE!!! Get yours before they're gone!

I <3 JGM

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:33 PM
is that true? that hub adapter will work? if so, no column swap needed?

and many aftermarket wheels will work on it?

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:37 PM
Yes it's true and any 6 bolt momo style wheel.

I <3 JGM

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:39 PM
I'm workin on leads for the cobalt clockspring to see if I'd be able to get the radio controls to work...

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:23 PM
............Sweet !!!...Hope filly you can get those controls working and thanks for the heads up on this...Think you made alot of people very interested in they're interiors again

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
" Leave the rice to Uncle Ben's and the wings to KFC..
Go clean or go home. "

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:11 PM
Looks great so far!!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 6:51 PM
I dont think you will be able to get the radio controls to work if youre using an aftermarket radio. But Ive been wrong before.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 6:57 PM
im excited

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 6:58 PM
Sure you can, as long as you can get the signal from one end of the clockspring to the other.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:22 PM
bradsk88 wrote:Sure you can, as long as you can get the signal from one end of the clockspring to the other.

this.

the signal for the steering wheel doesn't interface with any other control system other than the stock radio.

all you need to do is get the signal from the steering wheel to the other end of the clockspring, and get yourself an aftermarket adapter for an aftermarket radio and wire it up.

the only issue holding me back now is the clockspring. I've put an offer on one listed on ebay, all I need to do is get my hands on one and determine whether or not I can get it to work on the jbody column.

if the answer is yes then we get horn functionality and radio button functionality assuming you have an aftermarket stereo AND the appropriate aftermarket steeringwheel control adapter.

if the answer is no, then I drill the cobalt steering wheel frame for the 12V source for the horn functionality and we just accept the fact that steeringwheel radio control won't happen.

I think the radio control is definitely possible however... i'll keep this thread updated.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:18 PM
Excellent progress!
Once you get the airbag issue all solved, I'm ready to buy a cobalt wheel!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:50 AM
did they make a steering wheel like that without radio controls.

your a big help PJ cause my 99 column is fawked so i have it out and put it on hold until you had that sorted out now i know i need an 03+column

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:51 AM
NOTa2_4 wrote:did they make a steering wheel like that without radio controls.

your a big help PJ cause my 99 column is fawked so i have it out and put it on hold until you had that sorted out now i know i need an 03+column

I do believe they offered it without the controls, or you can get the little panels to replace the ones with controls.

I <3 JGM

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 5:03 AM
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:
NOTa2_4 wrote:did they make a steering wheel like that without radio controls.

I do believe they offered it without the controls, or you can get the little panels to replace the ones with controls.

yes they do. where can you find airbag covers? found a new one on craigslist just needs the airbag cover. would hope the steering columns are the same in my 02

this is the start of my signature: have you read the RULES yet?
my carDomain updated 6/11/10 Forged and Supercharged

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 5:04 AM
Ebay is your best bet on the airbag, but for you to use this you will need an 03.5-05 column

I <3 JGM

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:05 PM
i was looking at this too, and i think the best bet would be using an alero clock spring

the clock spring for the cobalt looks to mount to the steering column different

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:22 PM
Hope this works for you PJ. I always wondered if the Cobalt/G5 wheels would work in a J. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:44 PM
Would someone be able to use this steering wheel along with a cobalt stereo and have the function of the controls?

"big boom big boom"-Adam Savage. "quack damn you"-Jamie Hyneman "mythbusters"
Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:50 PM
redrider02 wrote:Would someone be able to use this steering wheel along with a cobalt stereo and have the function of the controls?

yea, but how you'd get the cobalt stereo in the dash of the jbody might be a bit tough.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:52 PM
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:Looks good like I said in the texts.

This also means the 03+ guys now have a steering wheel adapter available as well though.

Cobalt Addiction custom made MOMO hub

im confused a little i have a momo hub on my 04 currently running a sparco wheel with no issues..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search