Interior gauge locations/pics - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Interior gauge locations/pics
Sunday, September 04, 2011 1:41 PM
So I did a search and maybe didn't word it right, but is there a thread started somewhere with all the interior gauages and their various locations?
I am not a huge fan of large 'in your face' gauges and like subtlety.

Some pontiacs have the option of putting gauges in the vents, which looks bad ass! however in TX, that is not an option. A/C is a requirement.

If one hasnt been started, can we get some pics of peoples gauge installations? I wanted to find a good spot to put secondary gauges like Fuel and Oil pressure and some others, and I know some people are creative as hell and probably have some awesome ideas that others havent seen yet!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Re: Interior gauge locations/pics
Sunday, September 04, 2011 3:14 PM
This has pretty much become the standard for "custom" gauge install.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Sunday, September 04, 2011 3:36 PM
im not too sure about the color of the dash paint, but that setup looks bad ass!
although like i said, in TX i have to have those middle vents for the A/C, it easily hits triple digits in the summer

do you have a writeup of how you installed that? is it from a Sunfire? and that gauge near the ignition, how is that mounted underneath?

I wonder if you could find a way to put gauges underneath the after market radio adapter area...

Sunday, September 04, 2011 4:50 PM
blu04DD wrote:
do you have a writeup of how you installed that? is it from a Sunfire? and that gauge near the ignition, how is that mounted underneath?

No it is a 2000+ cavalier bezel and the gauge is installed just like the others.

"Bezel build thread"

blu04DD wrote:I wonder if you could find a way to put gauges underneath the after market radio adapter area...

Not easily. I looked at it. You need to cut out the dash behind the bezel.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Sunday, September 04, 2011 5:32 PM
man thats some amazing work, and takes patience!! Would be a fun project if I were to get a spare bezel from the local picknpull...
very motivating write up! How do the gauges mount to those 1/4" rings of PCV?

Thursday, September 08, 2011 3:39 PM

dont DD the car anymore so i pulled the stereo out and installed it into my vert, here was its replacement

Eat my shift
Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:10 AM
Hey man since you are in tx and need the ac I KNOW, just do the side ones on the side by the window other wise you'll have to put them on top of the dash

Modding my j since I found the org
Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:46 PM
Im in arizona; the pillars heat up and warp over time but mine up where the window defroster is worked great. The other vents still keep the car cool and they dont obstruct view.

Eat my shift
Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:51 PM
M2 those are bad ass....Do you have a writeup of how and what products you used for the ones in the middle of the windshield?
I too have a nice dash mat, and that should keep the plastic from warping. Did you ever have a hard time reading them in the sun light during the day? I know you could prob also make a cover sort of like the Subarus have (IIRC)...that would be ideal.

I would like to do oil pressure and temp, and voltage there.
Then when/if Im boosted, Ill figure a way to mount the boost gauge on the steering column or in the dash like yours. I have been contemplating relocating the stereo some how, because you could easily fit more than 3 in that location where the radio is. Ive never wired gauges, and am not a fan of tapping into my block..but i think everything now has adaptors and t-connections to just tap into existing lines.

I dont want them to look cool, i want them to be functional, and it would be a good project to practice my electrical skills.

btw, I think the Apillar gauge mounts look cool, but its not for me. Unfortunately, its the most convenient spot to put them out of the way and without mounting or modifying your dash...I have also seen some (or one) in the coin tray (on manual windows), where the electric window switches should be.

Friday, September 30, 2011 6:05 AM
If you need the center vents for the heat in texas do yours like I did mine....use only one of the center vents.

Friday, September 30, 2011 10:49 AM
blu04DD wrote:I would like to do oil pressure and temp, and voltage there.
Then when/if Im boosted, Ill figure a way to mount the boost gauge on the steering column or in the dash like yours. I have been contemplating relocating the stereo some how, because you could easily fit more than 3 in that location where the radio is. Ive never wired gauges, and am not a fan of tapping into my block..but i think everything now has adaptors and t-connections to just tap into existing lines.

I dont want them to look cool, i want them to be functional, and it would be a good project to practice my electrical skills.

btw, I think the Apillar gauge mounts look cool, but its not for me. Unfortunately, its the most convenient spot to put them out of the way and without mounting or modifying your dash...I have also seen some (or one) in the coin tray (on manual windows), where the electric window switches should be.

You can relocate your head unit to the center console or glovebox, I'll try to find some pics. Why isn't a pillar pod for you? I love having my fuel and oil pressure right in front of me but out of the way at the same time

Friday, September 30, 2011 11:04 AM
up here in the great white north they call Canada it can get pretty hot during summer months aswell. i was going to to do a gauge install like Tink has but i did not want to loose my vents so i went with the gauge pod instead. Then i became sick of trying to mount the satellite radio on the window and it falling off and always looking out of place so i molded it into a vent still keeping AC and heat on the other side. Then i became boosted and needed to add wideband, so i molded that into where the cigarette lighter was. little hard to see in the pic but while driving i can see it perfectly threw the steering wheel.

Friday, September 30, 2011 2:22 PM
wow..both Jucnbst and alex pics = WIN!
That wouldnt be bad..as long as a passenger can have air if needed, I'd survive with the left vent.
How are you guys routing your vents behind the dash? or do you just let it go and take out the ducting?

I like the 2 in the vent, 1 in the cigarette lighter (although I use that for the GPS sometimes), and the 3 in the center of the dash by the windshield. But for now without being boosted, i think the windshield would be perfect since I wouldnt need to mod the dash, yet....

alex that looks so clean and OEM...did you use the same methods JUCNBST used to mold your dash? I've never messed with fiber glass, but it seems it would be interesting to try with a junkyard dash...that satellite unit is molded in there so flush..

Saturday, October 01, 2011 8:27 AM

This is mine as is..just the standard 3 gauges replacing the vents. I think I'm going to be changing it up soon, and just running my wideband and boost gauge so I can have one air vent back, and I might put my IAT gauge into my pillar.

Saturday, October 01, 2011 8:45 AM
This was my first fiber glass project, and it was easy. it started with 2 pvc tube scraps for the mounting bungs and they got epoxied together. then I opened up the bezel to the left side a little with a dremel to make more room As for the vent behindthe gauges I just trimmed the one vent tubing down a little bit then wrapped part of an old t shirt arounditand held it with screws while I coated in in fiberglass resin. Worked great and I plan on making another gauge pod for the bezal with a spot mouted in for a monster shift light in the near future.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 1:31 PM
this may sound stupid..but has anyone ever seen/installed the mini gauges? Like at your auto parts store, you see those little sunpro 3gauge sets...has anyone purchased those individually and inserted those into your bezel somewhere? The ones you dont need to see actively while driving like oil temp/oil pressure/trans temp/fuel pressure/etc, could be placed almost anywhere since they're half the size. Then of course the major ones like boost and wideband you'd have normal size (in a pillar or something).

I am definitely liking that 3gauge setup in the center of the dash vent by the windshield, and your guys' 3 gauges look great in the dash too.
Also, has anyone rerouted their instrument panel lights somewhere else? Like put the CEL, blinkers, high beems, etc in another location? Or is this not feasible since its wired directly into the cluster? I know you electrical guys can do anything if you thought about it...

Friday, October 14, 2011 12:40 PM
anyone? no one has used the small gauges?

Friday, October 14, 2011 8:26 PM
Has anyone put gauges below the radio and HAV in front of the cup holders? I was thinking about buying SunPro's 3 pod 2In gauges.
Link

Sunday, October 16, 2011 12:22 PM
i believe oem has them also and a few people have bought them.
Monday, October 17, 2011 4:51 PM

theres a few..couldnt find the pic of the ones under the radio

Monday, October 17, 2011 6:13 PM
Wow Nate...looks good...thats a lot of gauges! are you monitoring tire pressure too?

Edward, that was one of my thoughts too, relocating the HVAC stuff since the cup holders are useless for anything larger than a medium drink, and putting a bunch of mini-gauges in their spot (like 4 or 5). Keep them hidden.

I really still like the 3 gauges in the windshield area, the dash mounted ones in the vents and the cigarette lighter spot...but i searched and couldnt find much for the small gauges that sunpro makes..they can be placed just about anywhere...

Monday, October 17, 2011 7:06 PM

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:20 PM
some great ideas...now if I could find a good writeup on the wiring/tapping how-to's ill be set! lol
btw michael, looks like ur coolant level is a bit low

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:52 PM
Lol, blue its the oppsite for now. I wired my surge tank to the stock and now if coolant is low the light turns off.
Sunday, December 11, 2011 7:01 PM
Quote:

this may sound stupid..but has anyone ever seen/installed the mini gauges? Like at your auto parts store, you see those little sunpro 3gauge sets...has anyone purchased those individually and inserted those into your bezel somewhere?

you mean like this ???? this is how i did mine

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search