How to remove HVAC bulbs from socket - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to remove HVAC bulbs from socket
Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:49 PM
On the back of the HVAC control, the small bulbs (#74 I believe) just turn and come right out. At least the sockets do. But how the hell do you remove the actual bulb from the socket? They are so tiny, my fingers just slip. I tried pliers and they kept slipping too. I ended up breaking one of the bulbs trying and now I'm stuck trying to get the fragments out. So how do you pull those tiny bulbs out?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Re: How to remove HVAC bulbs from socket
Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:21 PM
I just pulled mine out. I was replacing some bulbs on a 95 sc2 and they are also 74 bulbs. I ended up using some fine needle nose pliers and pulling from the base of the bulb. I also put a piece of masking tape on it as well to help grip the bulb and tada. Came out no problem.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:56 PM
On my 2000 they were a royal pain, I tried everything to get a grip on the bulb with needle nose pliers and a rag and such..

I ended up just crunching the bulbs with pliers and pulling the whole thing out by the filament, then cleaning out the socket.

It wasn't pretty at the time, but it worked and I was eager to get my leds in...

Friday, December 16, 2011 3:57 AM
Thirsty Z wrote:On my 2000 they were a royal pain, I tried everything to get a grip on the bulb with needle nose pliers and a rag and such..

I ended up just crunching the bulbs with pliers and pulling the whole thing out by the filament, then cleaning out the socket.

It wasn't pretty at the time, but it worked and I was eager to get my leds in...

Thats the boat I'm in. There is no visible base of the bulb. The one I already crushed is in there so tight, pulling on the filament wires just ripped them out and I'm still left with a chunk done deep in the socket. No clue how I'm going to get that out, let alone the other bulbs.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Saturday, December 17, 2011 12:55 PM
I think I just used some needle nose pliers and applied light pressure and they popped right out. You could try putting some tape or something on the pliers to soften/tighten the grip as mentioned.

Saturday, December 24, 2011 4:01 PM
what type of bulb do the HVAC take once u get them out??

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Sunday, December 25, 2011 3:30 PM
they were easy for me..every time..i wrote about it in my how to for interior lights. simply get a medium size rubber band. wrap one end around the bulb and pinch it tight with one hand, then use the needle nose plyers with the other hand.. DO NOT squeeze with the pliers , just apply slight pressure and pull out. the rubber band provides the grip needed on both sides. i have always had success with this method...and no glass pieces to clean up.

Sunday, December 25, 2011 5:16 PM
The friction in the sockets varied between mine, but both required a yanking type situation, as opposed to "popping out". Even after I broke the bulb and was pulling on the filament, the amount of force it took was more than I would think could be applied to the tiny little nub of a bulb that protrudes past the plastic.

Maybe the sockets in these HVAC modules aren't all built equal in mexico. The OPs looks to be a 00' as is mine,

..could very well just be a coincidence though.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search