Rear Seat Fold Down Release Mechanism Not Working - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear Seat Fold Down Release Mechanism Not Working
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:35 AM
Hi there Guys,

Just trying to get a little help. Ok so I drive a Toyota Cavalier and for a while now I have been wanting to fold down the rear seats (so I can run new wires and rear new speakers) . Unfortuently when the car was purchased it was missing the rear seat release strap.

I tried reaching into the hole with some needle nose pliers and I thought could feel something being pulled but the seats are still not folding down. Has anybody broken their rear seat strap before?, and if so how did you fix it?

Any Help Much Appreciated,

Cheers Broca

Re: Rear Seat Fold Down Release Mechanism Not Working
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:48 PM
Mine had no strap when i bought and all i did was use a pair of needle nose pliers and grab the release mechanism and pull. I got a new rear seat from the wreckers for $20 and it solved my problem, but you have to get it down first.
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:56 PM
Slowered wrote:Mine had no strap when i bought and all i did was use a pair of needle nose pliers and grab the release mechanism and pull. I got a new rear seat from the wreckers for $20 and it solved my problem, but you have to get it down first.

Hi, Slowered

How hard did you have to pull on the release mechanism with the needle nose pliers to get it to release?
The reason I ask is because I just went out and tried and I can feel the pliers pulling something but it's still not releasing and i'm thinking that either my needle nose pliers aren't strong enough or 'grippy' enough to pull the mechanism.

Cheers Broca

Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:16 PM
I didnt have to pull all that hard, I think the trick was finding the right spot. Try going dead centre, as high as possible and grab the bracket and pull. It should be a roughly 3/8s metal tab that your aiming for and maybe trypuch the seat in as you pull. Hope this helps
Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:07 PM
Slowered wrote:I didnt have to pull all that hard, I think the trick was finding the right spot. Try going dead centre, as high as possible and grab the bracket and pull. It should be a roughly 3/8s metal tab that your aiming for and maybe trypuch the seat in as you pull. Hope this helps

Fixed it today!

Yea it turned out that my needle nose plier just weren't 'grippy' enough to pull the mechanism, so I got it open with some bigger non-needle nose pliers. However, parts for Cavaliers here in New Zealand are not as common and I didn't really want to pay for a new seat or strap so I threaded a shoelace through the latch works fine and just gets tucked into the hole where the strap usually comes from. I might replace it in the future with a nice vinyl or leather stitched strap if I feel like it.

Cheers Broca

Monday, January 09, 2012 8:58 PM
is there any way to relocate the pull mechanism to a diff place?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3957680/2004-chevrolet-cavalier

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:51 PM
Anton wrote:is there any way to relocate the pull mechanism to a diff place?

Hey Anton,

In my case the car is a 98' so the release mechanism is in the centre of the back seat (on the interior) unlike your car which has the release in the boot, thinking about it I think it could be quite difficult to relocate you release mechanism but I wish you the best of luck.

Cheers Broca

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search