Gauge Cluster Swap - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gauge Cluster Swap
Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:17 PM
Hi all.

So I'm stuck with the crummy instrument cluster without the tach (despite the car being manual) on my 2001 2.2 Cav.

I bought a SunPro Super Tach II and the necessary SunPro Tach Adapter required to use it with the 2200 motor. I hooked everything up correctly, and the tach doesn't give the right reading. Not even a little bit. Apparently my car idles at 200-300RPM, and eventually when it starts getting remotely close (after being on for 20 or so minutes), it's off by almost 1000 RPM at redline, and says my car is idling at 900-1000 RPM, despite the OBD-II tool I have saying it's ~850 RPM. The gauge also never dropped below the 0 marker when I turned the ignition off and would stop at like 200 RPM. I even got a replacement tach and while that drops below 0 it still doesn't work right.

So, needless to say, I'm pretty much done with that. I'm looking for a new instrument cluster with a tach that I can just pop in. I kind of need one anyway because one of the lights behind the speedo shorts out and comes on when it feels like it and I need to push my finger against the face of the cluster near the odometer to get it to read correctly or else it's something like "111111".

Anyone know where I can get a cheap gauge cluster? I looked on E-bay and they want ~$150 bucks for one, and certain websites want around $200 plus a $300 dollar core charge, and say that the cluster needs to be programmed with the car's VIN and mileage (which doesn't even make sense because it's all contained in the ECU and sent to the cluster. I mean, if I'm going to pay that much I might as well get a whole cluster from BCC with a sweet gauge face and blue lighting and needles.

Considering I've spent $75 for a pointless endeavor, that's about what I'm willing to spend for a new cluster. I'd like to avoid a junkyard cluster if possible, because who really knows if that cluster won't have problems.

Thanks for the help.

Re: Gauge Cluster Swap
Sunday, March 25, 2012 5:19 PM
Junkyard is where you are going to find the cheapest clusters. Other than that unless you find someone selling a known good cluster, ebay would be the 2nd cheapest. Any 00-05 cluster(cav or fire) will work.

BTW, i love my BCC cluster.

Error: Sig not found.

Re: Gauge Cluster Swap
Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:44 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Junkyard is where you are going to find the cheapest clusters. Other than that unless you find someone selling a known good cluster, ebay would be the 2nd cheapest. Any 00-05 cluster(cav or fire) will work.

BTW, i love my BCC cluster.

I'd love one too if I had one lol. I toyed with it some more and I hooked the tach straight up to the cylinder 1-4 wire and it gave a perfect reading (except for the fact that it was half the actual value). I need a tach with a 2 cylinder setting. Chuck is hooking me up with a new cluster with a tach though, which rocks.

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Base, 5-speed, silver.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search