?Removing Shifter Knob Problem? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
?Removing Shifter Knob Problem?
Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:25 PM
Hi I have a Manual 2002 Chevy Cavalier Z24 and i recently bought a universal shifter knob to put on instead of the factory knob but i cannot for the life of me remove the shifter knob. Ive been told that there is a c clip but i just look there is 1 but thats to remove the entire rod from the transmission. also note i have a reverse lockout that you have to pull up in order to put into reverse can someone please help me?

Re: ?Removing Shifter Knob Problem?
Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:47 PM
Best way to do it is to pull that clip, then either pull on it like hell... just watch from hitting yourself in the face (plenty have) or remove the whole stick, put it upside down in a vice, hit the reverse lock out collar down with a hammer and it will pop off

My favorite mod was doing a short shifter. Can be had for decent prices and installed easy enough. If you remove the cables at all from the shifter, be sure to mark them first where the cable slides in the sleeves.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 11:03 PM
ok so i pulled the leather part off and there is a blue plastic cap that the leather part locks into do i just break that off to get to the rod? i bought a universal shift knob and i wanna delete the reverse lockout completly i cant stand it.
Sunday, April 22, 2012 9:44 AM
pull and twist back and forth, its a bitch to get off but thats how, no clip on +2000 j bodys. Also theres a little plastic piece that slids out, remove that and no more lock out.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search