Using Dye vs Using Paint - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Using Dye vs Using Paint
Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:15 PM
Hey guys
I wanna paint some more of my interior (I already did the glove and the piece that goes around the radio) and I was looking at the pieces of plastic that run along the carpet near the bottom of the door (sorry I dont know exactly what they're called) In your experience, or if you just know, should I go the sand-prime-paint route or should I try some sort of dye? Basically would the dye hold up better incase of scuffing? I also want to take out the dash and since its vinyl I was going to use VHT Vinyl Dye, anyone have any experience on that? Thanks to anyone that can answer.

Re: Using Dye vs Using Paint
Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:27 PM
stop painting and replace all the plastics you did with the original color. unless you have a total one off interior painting the randomly removable items. looks like @!#$. i know its your car, but when the novelty wears off in a month. you'll wonder why the hell did i do that.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:11 PM
remove your dash assembly if your going that route an have it professionally done, you wont regret it
Friday, March 30, 2012 10:10 PM
^^^^^^ what he said dude, i did mine a couple of times and it looks like #$^*&( and i sanded primed sanded painted sanded,cleared, its still crappy, unless you have access to a pro sprayer and the know how, you are better off having a shop do it or having it upholstered in vinyl.

Modding my j since I found the org
Saturday, March 31, 2012 11:43 AM
Use bulldog adhesion promoter then spray it. Trust me on this.... It will not scratch or come off!

Friday, April 13, 2012 11:24 PM
^^^listen to the person above...he knows what hes talkin about.....thats if your still considering puttin color...imo keep it very simple if u paint too much it doesnt look good. but in all honesty painting ur interior then hating it later is kinda like a jbody right of passage..most have already been there and done that

Monday, April 16, 2012 5:35 AM
American Henchman wrote:stop painting and replace all the plastics you did with the original color. unless you have a total one off interior painting the randomly removable items. looks like @!#$. i know its your car, but when the novelty wears off in a month. you'll wonder why the hell did i do that.

best advice here. so glad mine is stock again.

Monday, May 14, 2012 12:41 AM
If you dont paint it any outragous colours and leave a clean look the novelty may not wear off. I have all graphite grey interior but I painted the lower dash and headliner black and I still love the look. Couldnt be happier. That was a year ago also and the paint is still holding up perfectly. So to answer your question, I just sanded the lower dash, used plastic primer, spray painted it, then put some clear coats on it. Looks great, and its holding up just fine.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search