Fiberglass question - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fiberglass question
Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:29 PM
I think I may have run into a slight problem, maybe not, so I need some advise from people who have been doing this. I mixed my resin for the first layer and everything was going nice an smooth, when I got the the last section as I was spreading it started to jelly on me. I think next time I will use a little less hardener and work with smaller amounts. the question is am I screwed and need to rip that section off, its isolated from the rest, or will I just end up doing more sanding when the time comes. I read a lot of the how-to's but there not a lot about what to do when you goof. if you want pictures let me know and I'll get them, right now I'm sitting on my hands waiting for the vapors dissipate a bit.

Re: Fiberglass question
Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:32 PM
when stuff like that happens you'll obviously mix less hardener, I dont usually make the amount of resin smaller since its easier to add to much hardener to 50ml resin vs 250 mls resin. Just be aware of the temp, and working time.

When you goof just let it harden and grind the crap off and continue on with new layers. Its always a good idea to grind between layers as well since there are usually alot of waxes present in resins.
Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:00 AM
Philly D wrote:when stuff like that happens you'll obviously mix less hardener, I dont usually make the amount of resin smaller since its easier to add to much hardener to 50ml resin vs 250 mls resin. Just be aware of the temp, and working time.

When you goof just let it harden and grind the crap off and continue on with new layers. Its always a good idea to grind between layers as well since there are usually alot of waxes present in resins.

this 100%

Especially when it's really hot and humid out, less hardener is a good thing.

Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:56 AM
Thanks guys, first time doing this, and jumped in with both feet after doing some reading. heres a couple of progress pics, the section that got jellied isn't here, I decided to sand it a bit before continuing, then figured I should do more sanding all at the same time, so I did the matte for the other two sections first.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:40 AM
Looking good so far man, Im in the process of doing the same thing. The only thing I would recommend is to do scuff up the plastic farther down around the radio area and into the arc around the gauges and glass that as well. Im doing that on mine just for more structure and make my piece stronger. Also I drilled some holes through the plastic to allow the resin/glass to seep through and add strength as well.

Dave

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:36 AM
David Fairhurst- ICEMAN 101 wrote:Looking good so far man, Im in the process of doing the same thing. The only thing I would recommend is to do scuff up the plastic farther down around the radio area and into the arc around the gauges and glass that as well. Im doing that on mine just for more structure and make my piece stronger. Also I drilled some holes through the plastic to allow the resin/glass to seep through and add strength as well.

Dave

when you drill holes through the plastic....make sure to glass from the back side also. It will "sandwich" together to form a stronger piece.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search