Center Console Lid Fabric - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Center Console Lid Fabric
Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:11 AM
What kind of fabric is stretched over the lid piece? Is it fake leather? I need to change it to red to match my center console, I could paint it but im sure it wont come out right. Any suggestions.

Re: Center Console Lid Fabric
Sunday, September 23, 2012 9:37 AM
Red plastidip

Have a nice day.
Sunday, September 23, 2012 7:25 PM
Do you have any directions on how to do it, should i get the spray or the one i dip it into.
Monday, September 24, 2012 10:37 AM
Lol no.. that was a joke although it may work well. Those lids are easy to come by so why not get one or two extras and try a few different things out.

Have a nice day.
Monday, September 24, 2012 4:09 PM
I wrapped mine with an old bandana... REALLY REALLY easy to do. Get some spray glue and a staple gun.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Monday, September 24, 2012 4:30 PM
redlinerleathergoods.com sells the center console leather cover for 03-05 cavi's and sunfires, pretty sure they have it for 95-02 cavi's as well. Sunfire's, I'm not sure in that year range.

And definitely get another one to screw around with first. I did. Make sure you choose a fabric that's thin, and somewhat stretchable, but not too thin, or too stretchy. Go to a fabric store and play around with some of the fabrics. Bring your console lid with you. Stretch it over it, see what it will look like when it's covered.
And bandana fabric is just about the right about of thickness and stretch. 3M Spray adhesive is what you'll need. And gloves. And some patience.

Good luck and enjoy the cover

Monday, September 24, 2012 8:56 PM
I checked that site out and damn those prices . xD. Bandana fabric, seems alittle thin imo, I took off the fabric that it comes with stock and its really thick. I might just puddy up those little holes under the fabric and paint over it.
Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:52 PM
That fabric is thick because it is minimally padded vinyl.
Just keep in mind if you dont put fabric back on it and fill the holes and paint it, it will be rock hard. If you rest your arm on it, it will hurt after awhile. Even if you don't realize you rest your arm on it, trust me, once it's rock hard, you'll notice that you do. Thats why everyone puts fabric back on it, and most people put some kind of padding (i used some poly foam I found at home depot in self sticking strips from the A/C section, worked out great)

Good luck and take some pics when you're done. never seen anyone fill the holes and paint it. Would like to see the finished product.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:52 PM
This is how it turned out, im resanding it cause i could still see the holes slightly, so it should turn out much much better.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:43 PM
I like that. Turned out great! Nice work man.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search