Cobalt steering column swap - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt steering column swap
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:00 PM
I was wondering If anyone has tried to swap the steering column from a cobalt into a cavalier. If not, I am bored enough to get both an extra cav column and a cobalt comun in case i need to make mods to make it work. Will be interesting to see. Probably a stupid idea, but hey I have the free time

Re: Cobalt steering column swap
Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:16 PM
The column would be out of an 06 cobalt which thankfully has Passlock III and not PassKey with the damn chipped key. So I would have to disable the passlock II system of my Cav
Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:57 AM
What would be the purpose of the swap? You can swap the cobalt steering wheel in though already.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:24 AM
It would allow use of the Cobalt clockspring and airbag system, plus its just to see if I can.
Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:26 AM
Waste of time my friend.

Use a 03 up column out of a cav/fire and you can bolt the wheel right up. If you do not care about steering wheel controls it gets even cheaper.
Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:41 AM
Has been done in a much easier fashion.

03+ J-body column
1998-2002 Sunfire GT clockspring that had steering wheel controls
Cobalt steering wheel
PESWIX unit to program and make the steering wheel controls work with your deck

Done.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:48 AM
And how about the Airbag? the threads I have seen have not had working airbags yet.
Thursday, October 11, 2012 11:02 AM
That is true. But changing to a different column isn't going to change that. It physically fits fine its just figuring out the wiring since it's a dual stage airbag versus our single
Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:48 PM
just wire it high stage and be done with it why is everyone such a bunch of wimps on dealing with there mods everyone want everyone else to do it first

high stage is the same as a jbody they cobalts have a low stage for slow crashes

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:08 PM
^ How are you certain its the same ohmic value our single stage airbags have?

I was going to go ahead with it but havent figured out how to get the ohmic value of the cobalt bag. Ive found ours on here a while back.
Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:29 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:just wire it high stage and be done with it why is everyone such a bunch of wimps on dealing with there mods everyone want everyone else to do it first

high stage is the same as a jbody they cobalts have a low stage for slow crashes

I thought I was being original with switching the columns and keeping as much of the Cobalt stock as I can. I was even going to wire the Cobalt connectors for the turn signals,wipers,and lights so that I can use everything. How is that wanting someone else to do it first.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:33 PM
And as for why I want to try it, rather than just going with just doing a steering wheel swap, is because I can(try that is. Won't garauntee it is possible)
Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:39 PM
what are you going to do about the steering assist motor on the column?

Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:32 PM
The steering assist bolts on between the intermediate and the rest of the column. It is seperate from those pieces.
Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:33 PM
First thing to do to see if at all possible is to get the column so that I can take measurements and make some comparisons
Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:40 PM
I doubt I will try to use the steering assist as I am not sure how it functions. If I knew how it operates and If it is computer controlled or not then I might attempt it
Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:50 PM
After some research on CobaltSS.net, it seems the assist is computer governed.It is possible to bypass the assist If i need to have the part inline.
Friday, October 12, 2012 9:18 AM
It just sounds like your making it more complicated then it has to be for the sake of saying you did it. When your dealing with something as important as steering maybe it's best not to hack it together and do something that will give you the same look but safe function
Friday, October 12, 2012 10:32 AM
Who said aything about hacking it together? If it is not something that can be done safely, then I will not do it. And since it has not been done who says it will be more complicated. I am only paying $50 for the entire column,assist setup, and steering wheel, so if I decide to just do the wheel then I am not losing much money at all compared to what others are spending. But if it works, I may have done it cheaper.
Friday, October 12, 2012 11:02 AM
Brad Morrissette wrote:Who said aything about hacking it together? If it is not something that can be done safely, then I will not do it. And since it has not been done who says it will be more complicated. I am only paying $50 for the entire column,assist setup, and steering wheel, so if I decide to just do the wheel then I am not losing much money at all compared to what others are spending. But if it works, I may have done it cheaper.

You can't in any way think that making the column from another car fit your cav is going to be easier then simply swapping the steering wheel and clock spring. Cheaper in your case yes but ill garentuee it'll be more work.
Friday, October 12, 2012 8:30 PM
It doe snot seem like it will be too hard to make fit. If anything the cobalt column might use a little longer of an intermediate shaft so I might have to find one that is a little longer than the Cav stock one. I have looked at the cobalt intermediate shaft and it still uses the same connectors as our to connect, So if the length works out and I can get it mounted, then it will mate right into my existing steering system. And can we please stop asking why I am doing this or trying to say why doing it a different way is better. I have the parts, the free time, and the general boredom to try it, so if it works, great, if not then I will go with the standard swap. This will allow me to keep all the Cobalt workings and will keep everything plug and play pretty much except for the airbag resistance.

Sunday, October 14, 2012 5:35 AM
I say go for it! If you can get it to work, and work well, post up an awesome how to thread! Nowadays especially, there are precious few innovations and unique mods being done to our cars. It never hurts to try anything new.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, October 22, 2012 8:05 PM
Well after taking apart the dash and looking at all of the internals, I can get everything to work out except for 1 thing. Of course that is the one thing I can't get around. The ignition system is not comatible at all. The end that has all of the large wires has no corresponding section on the cobalt cylinder end. There is no room to switch it to make it work either due to location of the tilt lever. FInal diagnosis is that this is possible on non-tilt systems. But then again who wants a non tilt wheel. So now back to going with just the steering wheel swap. I am going to use/modify the column cover from the cobalt though just as I like it better and it comes apart so easily into 3 sections.
Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:56 AM
After all this, I have decided that I am at the very least going to keep as much Cobalt as I can. I will be using the housing, keeping the assist setup (as I will be able to make it fit up with current column and I am checking into various aftermarket setups for other cars that use a standalone controller and sensors for control, but thats another project) I am able to use the cobalt clockspring by deleting the steering turn lock (which I hate anyways) and the cobalt steering wheel. Everything else is just too controlled by BCM to get working on the car.
Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:50 AM
swapping columns isn't gonna make the bag install easier HOW ARE YOU GONNA CONTROL IT?????? you have to connect those wires to something are you gonna rewire your entire interior to a cobalt

your air bag modual and BCM have to be linked together (service numbers in the program) you can't just take whatever you want and plug it in to it

if you have no idea how to read a schematic then step away cause this isn't that hard of a swap, its rather simple.

doesn't the cobalt have electric assist steering instead of a pump does the column even work.

go do more work put the cobalt column in its still not gonna work and you will have the same amount of wiring to do. but you wont listen to me anyways cause you have you mind set on your way so do what you want and when you have an issue will be the first to say i told you so

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS PICK A STAGE AND USE IT HIGH SPEED IS EQUAL TO THE CAVALIER. SPLICE THE HIGN SPEEN CONNECTOR INTO THE STOCK CLOCK SPING AND DONE

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search