replacing dash... - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
replacing dash...
Saturday, October 20, 2012 8:09 PM
hey all, just as the topic says...how much work is it to replace the dash in one of these? i have a 2001 Coupe and the dash is beyond busticated due to a wreck. i need a complete dash. i'm not having a lot of luck finding a good one in a junk car but i'm sure i'll come up with one eventually. also, next, what years are a direct replacement for my '01? thanks in advance guys!

2001 Cavalier Sport Coupe
2.2/auto...stock with 197k miles...

Re: replacing dash...
Sunday, October 21, 2012 7:01 PM
Do the 03+ Sunfire dash swap you will need the upper and lower and driver's and passenger's door trim pieces as well. It's the best looking dash in the j-body. you will also need the vent piping and to remember which screws and bolts go where (It's best if you pull it yourself). All it takes is a little time and it isn't really hard to do. You can keep the Cavalier cluster (or swap to the sunfire) and Center Console. To answer your question any 2000+ Cavalier or Sunfire will be a direct swap anything pre 2000 you will have fitment issues with the cluster and you cant use the pre-2000 cluster either (atleast without rewiring the car from the front to the tail).

If GM only knew how great a 3400 powered Sunfire is...
Monday, October 22, 2012 5:32 PM
not a bad looking dash. just have to see if i can find one...are they as prone to breaking as the Cavy dash?

2001 Cavalier Sport Coupe
2.2/auto...stock with 197k miles...
Monday, October 22, 2012 9:30 PM
Well I've taken mine apart a few times now and still haven't broke it and it is easier to take apart then my 96 Cavalier dash was especially when changing cd decks.

Monday, October 22, 2012 10:31 PM
If you are keeping a Cavalier dash then you can swap any year dash, but the front piece on them (by the windshield) is very prone to cracking. One of the only ones that I have seen not break is in my wife's 96 vert. Also, there is a cover piece avaliable that would just overlay the cracked part by the windshield, if that is the part that is broken. If you are swapping to a sunfire dash, any dash will directly bolt in. You will have to get the FULL dash for it tho. All the way down to the metal frame work. It does take some cutting on the lower portion to fit a cav cluster into it, but right now I am running a 96 sunfire lower dash, an 04 sunfire upper dash and a 97 cavalier cluster. I don't know if you need to swap the metal frame if you swap to a different year cavalier dash, but I wouldn't think so. Also if you go from cav to fire and have an aftermarket stereo you will have to get a new trim kit since they are different, also if you are going between phase 2 or 3 and a phase 1 dash.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:42 AM
2000+ clusters are identical on the outside (just different layout inside) Sunfire or Cavalier, 95-99 clusters are different and don't fit right as i mentioned... Aftermarket deck bracket is the same on 2000+ as they are both double din unlike 95-99. You don't need to cut, everything will bolt up just make sure you grab the ENTIRE upper and lower dash assembly and (front) door panels and the heater vent plumbing.Since your car is 2001 don't even bother going with 95-99 dash its just not worth the hassle IMO. 2000+ Cavalier or Sunfire is a direct bolt in with your cluster. IIRC Cavalier's only had 2 dashes 95-99, 2000-2005 (both looked basically the same), but now that I think about it i might of been 99 where the HVAC and CD players were swapped not 100% sure though. Sunfire had 3 dashes 95-99, 2000-2002 (basically looked the same) and 2003+.In all it boils down to this 2000-2005 cavalier dash is the easiest option then swapping to the 2000-2002 or 2003+ sunfire dash takes a LITTLE more work but yeilds the best results IMO and last swtiching to a 95-99 (Sunfire or Cavalier) dash requires cutting tinkering and custom work to fit your cluster and you cant just swtich to the 95-99 style cluster without re-wiring the entire car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search