Short shifter install problem. - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Short shifter install problem.
Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:13 PM
I'm installing the Ralco RZ shifter into my 00 Z24. I have the shifter in the assembly and its ready to go in, but I'm having extreme difficulty with getting the shift cables back in. A spring popped out somewhere and when i actually got it in, i had limited forwards movement and absolutely no side to side movement. I want to get this don tonight or tomorrow morning, but I cant figure out how those cables hook back up.

Re: Short shifter install problem.
Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:41 PM
I slid mine over the body bolts just enough to line them up, then put the cables in the open clips. put the assembly all the way in and put the nuts on, then did the clips. I don't remember seeing a spring other than for the reverse lockout.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:26 PM
The guy that runs commercial at work told me a littlbe bit ago, but that definately helps thanks :] do the cables thread in, or are they just push through type?
Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:46 PM
just push in with the clips raised, they only raise up a little, don't force them or they will break. I used the smallest screw driver I had short of a jewelers size and got in the from the side to pop them up, they just push down into place. I hope you marked you cable location before you disassembled everything.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:01 PM
If you didn't mark them just install it with the clips open and the cables in, center the shifter best you can then lock them in.
Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:38 PM
03-05 at the least are supposed to have a clip on the back of the shift to hold it centered while you do that, I'm not sure on other years.

Friday, December 21, 2012 12:32 PM
Unfortunately i was an idiot and didnt mark the cables and im having a hard time adjusting them lol. The left cables done and im working on the right. The clip was broken before and i guess they held it down with zip ties. Good thng i have a bunch
Friday, December 21, 2012 8:52 PM
Got it in. Works perfect. If only i could do something about 1st and second gear being hard to get into. Feels like something weak is pulling it, or resisting it when i push it into first and sometimes second. Got it with the original shifter too.
Monday, February 18, 2013 10:46 PM
Is your engagement point really low to the floor for the clutch pedal? When I had trouble shifting into first and second, it was right after I got a new transmission, and the clutch slave cylinder needed to be bled again.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search