Overhead console computer transplant? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Overhead console computer transplant?
Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:48 PM
In my sunfire I have the overhead storage thing which I probably wouldn't use that often but I was looking at it and it looks like it would fit the overhead console computer thing (I'm attaching a pic in case that doesn't make sense) for another car I'll use the venture/Montana minivan as an example because I know the features of that particular computer since that was the family car growing up. But for the 2000 year at least you can get these features:

Compass
Thermometer
Instant gas mileage
Avg gas mileage
Miles on current trip
Range on current tank ( I think it has this but we never used it cause the gas gauge was broken)
It might have a few others but I'm not sure at the moment

Anyway some searching turned up nothing on here but regular google search makes it seem like it might be possible since several other cars can swap these computers. Of course it doesn't have to be the venture computer but that's the only gm one I'm familiar with I'm sure there's some other car with a computer that might be a better candidate for this.

Now it seems like the computer has to communicate with the BCM but I'm not sure about the PCM in our cars or the ECU in a donor car. But I figure that the best bet would be a car that shared the same engine I believe that most gm BCMs would be compatible enough to work since the programming is most likely the same. The issue would be compatibility with another ECU/PCM and how accurate the data would be.

I figure though it could be tested with maybe a scangauge or ultragauge or something like that

What do you think possible? Or not?
Attachments
image.jpg (15k)

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.

Re: Overhead console computer transplant?
Wednesday, April 30, 2014 3:51 PM
I did a bit more searching and I've found that a blazer console can be put into a j body there is a write up on v6 z24 but it didn't have the computer in it however on a grand am forum there was a guy that put a blazer console in with the computer but that only had the compass and thermometer apparently some blazers have extra features in the computer and others only have the compass and thermometer. The good news though is that the dome light has enough power to supply the lights and computer with electricity. The better news is that there was very little wiring which I'm sure wouldn't be true of one with the extra features but at least it's a start

Thursday, May 01, 2014 5:15 PM
So a little more searching on the v6 z24 website found that the blazer computer will work but no one has tried one that has the extra features that I've seen just the compass and thermometer.

So that said does anyone know what you would have to hook the computer/display into? Is it the BCM only or both the BCM and PCM?

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 6:30 AM
You will need to hook into the serial data stream. Find the wiring diagram for the console you're using and there will be a wire that says serial data, UART, 10,400 baud, or something to this effect. This will have to be tapped into the feed at some point. Here's where your difficulty is: GM is kind enough to change this data stream across the different vehicles. They will move one piece of information in the data configuration to another spot, so the computer in the console will be looking for that info in the wrong spot, and it will get no info. I'm not sure what info gets displayed on the one you're looking at, but there will also be a temperature sensor that you'll have to run a wire to. These are typically located in the front fender, or near the radiator (not behind it, where the radiator will increase the temp). You want it in a place where it will get outside air, but still be reasonably protected.

Interested to see how it comes out if you do it.

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 8:24 AM
Just keep in mind you wont get any of those readings with that thing really.

Our cars dont track gas mileage and range as far as I know.
Wednesday, May 07, 2014 10:39 AM
Ok thanks for the replys
mr quick is the serial data stream on the PCM or BCM just to make sure I'm clear on that. And are you saying the temp sensor is already on the car or I have to take it off the donor? I was thinking we probably don't have the temp sensor just for outside temp but maybe I'm just reading your post wrong or something.

Philly

They do get the gas mileage readings that I've confirmed on the ecomodder website and I don't know for sure if the computer does range I think it might just be the trip distance like you can do on the odometer.

I'm just trying to find the best match right now I've only seen the blazer swap but that thing is huge and I don't want to cut up my headliner for it to fit. So I've got some more research to do still

Monday, May 12, 2014 6:42 AM
backpacker3 wrote:Ok thanks for the replys
mr quick is the serial data stream on the PCM or BCM just to make sure I'm clear on that. And are you saying the temp sensor is already on the car or I have to take it off the donor? I was thinking we probably don't have the temp sensor just for outside temp but maybe I'm just reading your post wrong or something.

Philly

They do get the gas mileage readings that I've confirmed on the ecomodder website and I don't know for sure if the computer does range I think it might just be the trip distance like you can do on the odometer.

I'm just trying to find the best match right now I've only seen the blazer swap but that thing is huge and I don't want to cut up my headliner for it to fit. So I've got some more research to do still
You will have to get the temp sensor from the donor. The datastream can come from the PCM or the BCM. The PCM sends it to the BCM, and the BCM sends it to the cluster and/or overhead console. I don't know enough about the OHC in GM vehicles to know which baud rate you are looking for, either. You're going to want to make sure you are matching that correctly, so you're not trying to connect a console that wants an 8192 UART signal with a 10,400 VPW signal.

As for the MPG, I'm not sure where that info is calculated, and it may not be the same between the different models. What I know is that it's usually calculated via the speed sensor, engine load, and O2 sensor. It may be calculated in the BCM, it may be in the console itself.

Monday, May 12, 2014 6:54 AM
I see. Thanks for the info my plan is to find another gm car with the Ecotec that has a computer in it so I've been researching that I figure that would be the closest you could get to give it the most likelihood of success. The tricky part will be then getting it off the other car, ideally I would want to pull everything off myself but all the junkyards around here aren't ones that let you pull your own parts.

My guess is that the most difficult part will be the wiring. Specifically finding all the wires I'll need to connect to. But at least this will give me something to do. Lol

Monday, May 12, 2014 7:50 AM
You definitely want to get as much of the wiring as you can get from the plug back. If you can get at least 8-10" back from the connector, you'll be doing good. If you can get a few feet, you're doing great.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search