Replaced my 04's Cluster Bulbs With LEDs - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Replaced my 04's Cluster Bulbs With LEDs
Sunday, November 16, 2014 11:28 PM
Not exactly as easy as some cars that have bulbs that can unscrew... But if you can solder, it wasn't that bad. I also replaced my stepper motors while I was in there, just in case. I used some regular wide-angle white LEDs that I got in a 100 pack from ebay. I also picked up a pack of red LEDs to use on the odometer.

I'm really pleased with how it turned out! They've been working flawlessly for a few months now. They are white LEDs, but since the cluster is tinted blue, it gives off a nice cool-blue effect.

Some installation pictures:

The odometer was the trickiest one. I had to carefully bend back the LCD to remove the bulb. I tried to get the resistor on top of the PCB, though it wouldn't fit cleanly. I accidentally lifted a solder pad, though realized I could put the resistor under the board and solder to another spot. Worked out perfectly!

Re: Replaced my 04's Cluster Bulbs With LEDs
Friday, February 06, 2015 8:24 AM
Nice work! What a pain these dashes are!
That looks great! Thanks for posting and the pics are good too!
Great job!
Saturday, February 07, 2015 8:30 PM
Everyone claims you have to break the stepper motors to get the needles off on the 02-up clusters. Did you just spin the needle counter clockwise till the came free?
Saturday, February 14, 2015 10:16 PM
Akizzem wrote:Everyone claims you have to break the stepper motors to get the needles off on the 02-up clusters. Did you just spin the needle counter clockwise till the came free?

Pretty much, spun the needle carefully until it started spinning freely and popped it off with a fork. I followed the instructions here: http://almostgonesblog.blogspot.ca/2010/03/repairing-instrument-cluster-on-2005.html

Since I was going to rip apart the cluster anyway, I spent the $15 for four new stepper motors just in case they were the old ones with the higher failure rate.
Wednesday, June 07, 2017 8:14 PM
Hello. I know the post is dated. But I got a spare cluster to try this with for my '04 and got as far as the resistors. What Ohms did you user for this modification?
Wednesday, June 21, 2017 6:55 PM
I've done a few....

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, August 21, 2017 8:55 PM
470 ohms 1/4 watt is typical for a 12 volt circuit.
Sunday, October 01, 2017 2:23 PM
where had you found those white LED's and what had they cost you? What had you soldered the resistors in for?
Sunday, October 01, 2017 8:08 PM
Steve B. wrote:470 ohms 1/4 watt is typical for a 12 volt circuit.

Ohms depends on the LED color, also you need to calculate it for ~13.8v not 12v, otherwise your LEDs may burn out or not last as long.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Saturday, October 07, 2017 12:43 PM
Well then, use a 680 ohm resistor.

I've been using 470's on everything for years on all my 12 volt stuff on my boat, and it has Lithium Phosphate cells which have a resting voltage of 13.2V.
Never a problem with any of them.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search