2nd Gen Sunfire Clusters - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2nd Gen Sunfire Clusters
Wednesday, August 11, 2021 4:37 PM
Hello all!

So I have searched through a vast number of instrument cluster swap posts, and unfortunately haven't come up with much of anything on the 2nd gen Sunbird.

I own a 1984 Pontiac Sunbird 2000 LE with the soft top. The instrument cluster only has idiot lights for items like coolant temperature and oil pressure. I'd love to swap my cluster out for the one that has the actual gauges so I can better monitor the engine (as opposed to a mere light telling me my engine is melting or whatever... thanks...) I have my eye on a cluster and dash face out of an '86 Sunbird. Can this be done at all? I'm not sure if I even have the proper wiring behind my dash to make something like this happen. I assume I'll have to go from a cable driven speedo to an electronic one, right? I have no idea beyond that, and would rather get some insight before spending $$$ and tearing into the dash.

I've read a lot of posts about doing this on newer vehicles, and that it's actually quite simple in some cases. However, I haven't been able to find much information on my specific case going from no gauges to a full set. Lemme know, and thanks!

Re: 2nd Gen Sunfire Clusters
Thursday, August 12, 2021 2:30 PM
You should be able to get it working. I don't know all the details though. I've put gauge clusters in 70's Firebirds and Grand Prixs before. Best I can remember I only needed to change the oil pressure sending unit. Of course those old cars were more simple than OBD1 cars of the 80's. But it should still be possible without too much fuss. You can find wiring info here: https://www.v6z24.com/gallery/service/
Just look over the the wiring stuff and it may help you figure out what needs to be done to get things working.

Hopefully someone will reply with more details on what exactly you will need to do.
Re: 2nd Gen Sunfire Clusters
Friday, August 13, 2021 4:56 AM
Thank you for the reply! I appreciate the link!! For now, I might just go ahead and install a small triple gauge cluster.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search