Shift knobs for automatics... - Page 3 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Shift knobs for automatics...
Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:32 PM
blucavvy wrote:^^^^^nice, very clean, i love it!
paul bateman wrote:you rock! and that looks sick! thanks

Thanks guys !

paul bateman wrote:now heres a question... I have a 99 cavi with the most useless center console ever...

Im gonna go out and try and find THAT console... 2 cupholders and the 12v outlet.. now for the questions... what year is that anyways? lol

I assume my current pw switch will fall right into place, right? i also dont have a 12v in the console.. how would i go about wiring that up? i know its not hard, but any tips on what to tie it into rather then all the way to the fuse block would rock..

That console can be found in any 2000 - 2005 Cavalier or Sunfire. Be sure to get one out of a car that has manual transmission if you want to use the factory manual shift boot. There is a slight difference with the manual versus automatic obviously and getting one from a manual will make it plug and play when using a factory manual shift boot. Also, keep an eye out because not all of them have the cigarette lighter on the passenger side of the console, so if that's something you want, pay close attention to make sure it's there. Not all the mounting points in your '99 will be the same, so make sure you grab the mounting bracket that is in front of the shifter assembly. Simply unbolt it and bolt it in place of your current '99 one. All the other mountings points should line up fine.

As far as the window switch goes, you should be able to just pop the switch itself out of your current '99 bezel and pop in into the '00-'05 bezel. It will work fine.

I have no clue about how to wire up the cigarette lighter. I searched the Audio/Electronics Forum and the Interior Forum and didn't come up with anything that would be of any use to you. You may want to make a new post to get some more information on wiring up the cigarette lighter.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 1:41 PM
J TO ENVY wrote:

Is that also a Grand Prix Shifter?

"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803
Sunday, January 24, 2010 2:03 PM
Nope. It's a Sunfire GT shift knob (leather wrapped).

Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:47 PM
same one i just put in, love it.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 7:33 PM
Tabasco Racing wrote:the ichiban looks really good. if it had been red/white instead of red/silver i would have gotten it years ago.

obx has some nice knobs too....but good luck tracking a dealer down that has some.

i got a blue ichiban one, looks amazing. would never go back to stock. it fit perfectly too. id recommend it
Monday, January 25, 2010 4:11 AM
i'll go hunting around the yard for just the right knob... thinking leather grand prix... but we'll see... lol
this mod actually solves a couple beefs of mine at once.. i have one useless cup holder in the center right now and the ugliest shifter i have ever owned... so this thread is a win!!!
Sunday, January 31, 2010 1:35 PM
J TO ENVY wrote:That console can be found in any 2000 - 2005 Cavalier or Sunfire. Be sure to get one out of a car that has manual transmission if you want to use the factory manual shift boot. There is a slight difference with the manual versus automatic obviously and getting one from a manual will make it plug and play when using a factory manual shift boot.

Took me all of 5 mins with a drill to fit a stock shift boot onto a 00+ Auto Center Console.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Monday, February 01, 2010 7:23 PM

Looking to get a shifter and boot for my auto trans 05 sunfire, the interior theme is red and black. So I would like to stick with that theme. Can anyone provide some recommendations, and or links to websites. Have googled but came up unsuccessful.

Thanks guys
Monday, February 01, 2010 8:17 PM

I had this knob laying around and wanted to change the stock unit.
I took the old one off and tried to use the plastic caps everyones hates.
They did not fit and I had trouble with the clearnce so I placed a small screw on top of the plastic cap that fits over the yellow shift release.
Snugg it in tight and stuffed the smaller plastic cap over the yellow shaft sized it up and drilled a hole through it, just enough so the cap is nice and tight over it.
Slapp everything together and it works great the shifter is nice and heavy so shifting is really easy.
To dress it up a little I cut slivers of blue silicone hoses and stuffed it in side the gap of the shift.
I cut a large silicone hose piece and slid it over the whole black shifter and looks nice.
Funny too watching people trying to shift it without knowing how.
All I do is press the skull down and shift let go and the knob pops right back up.

Once we had a 5 speed shifter and filled it with super glue placed over a diffrent auto shifter and it worked good till they tried to shift hard and fast!!!!
so dont try it!!!

http//www.umods.org/drift.html
umods@live.com/ddiaz@umods.org

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search