gauge cluster Q. - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gauge cluster Q.
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 11:50 AM
a couple questions,

i have a 95 cavi with a manual odometer no tach...standard

will a cluster from a 96 sunfire with tach fit.... what would be required to get the tach working....

and how wold i go about getting the odometer set to the right milage

Re: gauge cluster Q.
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 11:56 PM
it is possible. to get the tach working... all you have to do is disconnect the theft lock start the car let it die.... wait 15 mins hook it all up (by the time you get your dash bolted back should be plenty ) and your tach should work. I have a 00 and i just did a fire swap mine wasn't that complicated... i am not sure how to go about changing the mileage though.

"c'mon pookie we gonna burn this mother fncker down"
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 6:45 PM
okay, so even tho my car is obd 1 it will still plug and play.....no fuses...no nothing?....because in my engine bay fuse box there is a fuse that says tach....whats up with that.....and my car dosent have theft lock.....
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 6:56 PM
You can't use a sunfire cluster. You can use one from any other 95-98 non digital with tach, the instructions for defeating the the passlock are in the interior FAQ, its plug and play and the tach will work.

You car has a tach fuse because the ECU still uses a tach signal.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 7:28 PM
so dont buy the 96 sunfire cluster?......cause it wont work...?

so any other cavi cluster with a mechanical odometer will work?.....

and i dont have any theftlock pass lock whatever.....i get out and lock the doors...thats my security system....

and when i install a new cluster ill have to get a fuse for the tach spot in my e/b fuse box?
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 7:55 PM
Theftlock doesn't have anything to do with the doors, it was a feature on all 95-99 cavaliers and sunfires that would disable the vehicle if key parts were changed or some other things happened. I can almost assure you that you do have it.

You should already have a fuse in the Tach position of your engine bay fuse box, if not, definately put one in there. You can only use cavalier clusters, yes, and only those from 95 to 98 with the mechanical odometer. You'll have to swap out the tumblers so you aren't committing fraud. The sunfire clusters are a different size than the cavaliers during years 95-99, and also use a different kind of plug.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, February 17, 2005 4:56 AM
If you want a tach I'd look for a 95 z24 to get a cluster from. I installed a 95 cluster in my 97 and it's causing issues with DRLs, the high beams indicator light, and the seat belt light. It has to do with the 95 having a different wiring harness from most other 3rd gens from 95-99. The computer is a screwed up OBD1/OBD2 thing. So a cluster from any non digital odometer cavalier will work but one from a 95 z24 with a tach will make you happiest. And listen to Shifted about the odometer....you don't want odometer fraud. That'd be bad.

Still cruisin stock.
Saturday, February 19, 2005 11:51 AM
From what ive read, the 95 is a one year only thing, since yours is a 95, you can only swap it out with one from a 95, and to have the odometer reset you have to take it to a speedo repair shop and and have them set the odometer to the correct reading.

How much differeant in size is the 95-99 sunfire cluster, i have ben wanting to swap out my 99 cavy no tach broken cluster, but have had trouble finding a 99 digitial odometer manual trans cluster.

I knew the plug was differant, but i have the service manual and according to the wiring both clusters have the same wires, just differant locations on the plug, so just move the wires around and all should work.

Does anybody know if you have a manual trans, do you have to use a manual trans cluster, or can you just change the guage face on a auto cluster and it will work fine?

Mike

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #492. Oh, Its just a stock V6!

1999 Cavalier Coupe, daily driver, 2200/M5. Mods and pics are in my registry.

Fully built turbo 2200 in progress, should be installed very soon. Will post details as they happen.
Support the site that supports your habit, Go Premium.
Sunday, February 20, 2005 6:16 PM
you still looking for a cluster with a tach for a 95. i got one out of my old 95z24 with like85k on and yes it will be a plug and play i got a 95 base with a 2.2L and no tach and for he hes and ha has i put it in to see if it would wor and it dose took it back out because i got a monster tach and dint nead another one plus the stock tach only goes to 8grand and i neaded one to go to at least 9.5k red line is now at 9.25k let me know if you want it we can work something out its just colecting dust
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 7:55 AM
REDLINE AT 9.25K!!!! What'd u do to u'r engine???
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 7:52 PM
reprogamed comp bored and stroked to a 2.5 h beam rods forged pistons shaved porteed and polished head mantapart intake manifold ported and polished 52mm throtle body rc enginering injectors roler rockers and lifters 4deg valve job titanium valve springs and retainers and a lot of time back and forth to the machine shop but now looking for a new motor put a bottle on it and with the compression that it had (1850psi in each cyl) it shot rod #3 out of the side of the block i guess i found the limmits on arp ord bolts and h beam rods lol

Thursday, February 24, 2005 6:00 PM
HOLY F***
Friday, February 25, 2005 11:05 PM
it was fun wile it lasted i loved pi$$ing dudes in mustangs and camaros off now im looking for another motor to build up but this time not so much compression and bottle i had 150 shot dry gona try 100 dry this time
Friday, February 25, 2005 11:07 PM
oh yea and the compression was 185 psi not 1850 psi sorry about that
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search