What gear am I in? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What gear am I in?
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:12 AM
My brother just bought our 2000 Sunfire. I never noticed this, because my wife just new what gear she was in. But he picked up the car last night. It was dark, and he and I noticed that there is no way to know what gear your in unless you turn on the dome light to look. There is no indicator on the dash around the gauges or there is no light next to PRND321 next to the shifter. I don't remember if there was a light that is suppose to glow next to the gear. Anyone know? 2000 Auto Sunfire. Thanks.

Re: What gear am I in?
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:21 AM
Did you have aftermarket/custom gauges in the Sunfire that covers up the indicator lights?

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:35 AM
I should of added that everything is stock on the car. Inside and out. Stock gauge cluster. Thanks for the reply though, ShoBiz!

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:24 AM
Mine is the same way, you just gotta 'feel' what gear your in actually. Thats how I do it. I used to have the 2.2 cluster that had PRND12 on it but I swapped it out for a Z manual cluster and that gear indicator is gone now. Like I said, you just gotta 'feeeel' lol

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:36 AM
hmmm. I'm wondering if the cluster was replaced before we actually bought it. All the cluster has is, Tach, speed, fuel, temp. Wonder if that is a manual gauge cluster?

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 2:24 PM
There is a bulb under all that trim if you can get under there. i just replaced mine since it burned out. All you have to do is get the outer ring off, and i used my brothers little hands to have him take the old bulb out and get the new one in.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 3:26 PM
Thanks Vince, I thought that there was a bulb under there.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 5:54 PM
what was the bulb number under the trim?

"c'mon pookie we gonna burn this mother fncker down"
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 6:26 PM
the reverse and gear lockouts are a pretty good indication as to what gear you're in... push the button to shift from park to reverse, and then let off the button and pull back on the shifter until it locks in the drive position. you have to push the button to get into the gears (1 and 2, 3 if you have it). i never even look to know what gear im in, i just know based on where the shifter stops from the lockouts.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:45 PM
yeah i dont really understand, i could understand if it bugs you just because its a faulty part of the car that you want to fix, but its easy, if its in reverse it will move back, one down is neutral so your engine will rev, and down one more is drive

sorry if its an @!#$ reply but that was just how i interpreted it

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search