instrument cluster swap question - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
instrument cluster swap question
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 7:35 AM
Hey, I have a 5 spd 95 cav. the stupid thing doesn't have a tach though, (go fiqure) anyways I have heard that some people have swapped out their instrument cluster with no tach to one with a tach. My question is, right now my speedometer only goes to 190km, I fiqure that since I'm gonna swap out my cluster for one with a tach, could I also just use a instrument cluster that has a tach, and with a speedometer that goes up to 220km, instead of like mine only 190km? Like all the new cav's have. I dont see why I couldn't I just want to make sure first that it will work. Any input is appriciated. Thanx.

Re: instrument cluster swap question
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 10:31 AM
as far as I know, any newer (2000+) gauge cluster will not be compatible. I had a 96 5spd without a tach and I swaped the cluster out with one from a 98Z with a tach. I worked just fine after I let the car sit in the garage in fun for about 15 min. to let the theft system light go out.
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 11:21 AM
Hey, ya but mine is a '95. Does that matter or no? I think my car is OBD1 not OBD2. I may be wrong, but I am just wondering, also I am wondering if does it matter if I get an instrument cluster with a speedometer that goes higher or not? I dont think it matter, but I dont know. Will it work or no?
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 1:12 PM
it wont work. sorry. not unless you intend to spend money to rewire your car for it. i say jus get a cluster with a tach and call it good.

"Lil Brudder! He's got the heart of a champion!"
Thursday, February 24, 2005 5:53 PM
Why would I have to re-wire my car? all it would be is a speedometer with an extra 30 some kmph on it. the little computer thing that moves the needle is within the instrument cluster itself is it not? cuz if it is then it will automatically read the incomming electrical current telling the speed of the car and it will therefore move the needle accordingly rite? Also does it matter if my car is OBD1 or OBD2 for a stupid intrument cluster, like is the wire harness different or something, is that all? if thats the case I'll jsut splice in the wires then. I really want this to work, will it? Please tell me why not if it wont. Thank you
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 8:40 AM
if you can find a cluster from a 95 then it will work, but it has to be 95 only, the 96-98 are interchangable, and half way thru 98 and 99 with the digitial odometer are interchangable and all 2000+ are interchangable.

If you want to go with a 2K+ cluster you have to wire in the BCM in order for it to work. Much harde than it sounds.

Hope this helps.

Mike

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #492. Oh, Its just a stock V6!

1999 Cavalier Coupe, daily driver, 2200/M5. Mods and pics are in my registry.

Fully built turbo 2200 in progress, should be installed very soon. Will post details as they happen.
Support the site that supports your habit, Go Premium.
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 8:56 AM
in my experience any cluster (minus the digital odo) from 1995 to 1998 work in a 95

my friend swapped a 1997 Z automatic cluster in his 1995 2.2 5 speed and it worked really nice

Thursday, April 14, 2005 12:48 PM
Since this thread is running,, have a Cavalier 96 automatic, my cluster does not have a tach so my question is if i get a 95-98 cluster with a tach will it be plug and play?
or i need some wiring
Thursday, April 14, 2005 12:50 PM
Yes, basically, you have to swap out the mileage tumblers, then reset the passlock when you install it. Instructions are in the first post of the FAQ made by a brilliant man called KickAzz98z

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search