spraying interior with a gun, not cans... advice - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
spraying interior with a gun, not cans... advice
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:22 PM
Im in the process of sanding down the plastic pieces in my cav interior to repaint them using a compressor and spray gun. Ive used krylon fusion cans in the past and its not bad, but im shooting for the interior to look as smooth and glossy as the exterior as possible.
So heres my question. Since im spraying on top of sanded plastic, should i just use basic primer, then paint, and clear? or should i try to simulate the same process as exterior painting? im not glassing anything, just painting right over the plastic. so for those that have done this (not can jobs) please let me know what worked best for you.
Thanks

www.columbustuning.com & www.columbusracing.com

Re: spraying interior with a gun, not cans... advice
Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:30 PM
Im in the same process as you right now. Im gonna sand it all down then spray it with a plastic promoter(Bulldog) then primer it with some filler primer then wet sand it with like 1000 grit. After that im gonna base coat it then clear and then wet sand with 1500 then buff just like the exterior.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 1:03 AM
doing the same thing right now, i took some 400 gritt on a DA real qucik to knock off the factory texture then i sprayed with a high build primer, block sanded it a little with 400 again, then wet sanded it with some 1000 grit, sprayed on some primer sealer then shot my BC/CC, wet sanded it after that with some 1500 then buffed it out... looks like glass

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 6:47 AM
make sure to use a flex agent in the paint! otherwise the paint will crack.. also i would use a high build primer.

i dont have time to read the post... im in school

Click Here, To Check Out My Interior

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:01 AM
on my intereior we didnt use a flex agent and ive had no problems with it, if u do the back rear panels i'd suggest using it there since u have to flex those pretty good to get back in the car. other then that you should be fine,

we sprayed mine with a high build primer after i had sanded it smooth. then i wetsanded with 400 grit, then two base coats, and two coats of clear same paint and clear as the exterior of the car, then i wetsanded the pieces with 1500 grit. thats all thats needed. since your doing it yourself i'd suggest wetsanding the clear, then doing another couple coats and wetsand it again to get the really deep look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Re: spraying interior with a gun, not cans... advi
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 11:05 AM
jason where did you get your paint?

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 11:37 AM
i dont suggest finishing your primer with 1000 grit, its too fine a grade. most basecoats will cover 600 grit wet sandpaper good. 1000 is too fine a grade sandpaper.

Thursday, February 24, 2005 8:10 AM
i got it from a paint supply store for automotives in harrison. not sure where u can order any from. u might want to talk to geeds and find out where he bought his paint. or u can call any local bodyshop and see if they will order it in for you, though you'd probalby have to pay more that way.

yeah for the primer 400-600 is all u need for wetsanding, with that grit it will still be incredibly smooth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, February 25, 2005 1:31 AM
flex agents for paint are really only necessary if the part has to be flexed alot to install it. The flex agent doesnt even stay in the paint after like a week it is evaporated. For something like painting a bumper off the car, the flex agent is a good idea, and for something like the back panels that need to twisted or bent to be installed it would be a good idea. I just wanted to clear up a common misconception about flex agent.

Saturday, February 26, 2005 9:20 AM
good points....

400 is plenty for primer...1000 is too smooth. it's supposed to stick to it! lol.

flex additive really isn't needed. you SHOULD use a plastic adhesion promoter though. And don't forget to thorughly clean your plastic prior to painting with the proper cutting agent.

Saturday, February 26, 2005 11:06 AM
well if your painting right over the factory plastic no need to felx agent at all or a PLASTIC PRIMER do not use a primer filler on plastic trust me it will not stick
anyway..............first step in any plastic painting is prep work
here is what i do
clean the plastic with dx 330 ppg product
use a grey scuff pad
clean again with dx 330
with ppg you don`t need a adhesion promoter at all most companies have a interior paint system that does not need a adhesion promoter like ppg
so using the interior paint made for plastic spray it on
now when using interior paint it comes in different degrees of gloss so no need for a clear coat
i hope your using a hvlp or a lvlp gun not a conventonal gun

can i haz bondo

Saturday, February 26, 2005 12:22 PM
^he may be using a urethane paint..just like is on the exterior, that's why i suggested using a promotor.

Saturday, February 26, 2005 8:46 PM
interior paint is polyurathene

can i haz bondo
Saturday, February 26, 2005 10:12 PM
im doing my inter right now, i had a third brake light , but know i cut it out and molded it flat with resin, my whole inter is gerring done with resin, its looking very good but a big expense,and a holata time
Sunday, February 27, 2005 12:34 AM
you should still clear coat interior paint. You just use a flat clear or a like a 15% gloss. if you dont clear it you wont get any UV protection at all, and for a dash top that would be disasterous.

Sunday, February 27, 2005 7:02 AM
big daddy wrote:interior paint is polyurathene
no shi.t...i'm saying if he has a custom paint on the outside, and he uses the same paint on the inside to match, it'll be urethane.

Monday, February 28, 2005 4:59 AM
ok maybe you not seeing what i am typing
INTERIOR BASE COAT IS POLYURATHENE
ummmm ...............ya....................interior base coat does have UV protection in it
dude you do what ya want it`s your car i personally hate painted interiors and it makes me want to vomit and poop on it

can i haz bondo
Monday, February 28, 2005 1:00 PM
big daddy wrote:it makes me want to vomit and poop on it

Monday, February 28, 2005 9:03 PM
big daddy wrote:
dude you do what ya want it`s your car i personally hate painted interiors and it makes me want to vomit and poop on it

you talking to me?

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:23 PM
nope if i was i would have typed your screen name
that`s what a painted interior does to me

can i haz bondo
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:40 PM
who cares who he's talking to, its his personal opinion.

adam youve seen my dash pieces, what i did is all u need to do. 3 years without a single issue with it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search