does anyone on the boards know about liquid plexi? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
does anyone on the boards know about liquid plexi?
Friday, March 25, 2005 1:56 AM
There is a product called liquid plexiglass, i've only seen it a few times and i've never had the pleasure of working with it, i'm trying to find out as much as i possibly can about it as i would like to create a couple peices for my car using the plexi.

thanks in advance

J~

Re: does anyone on the boards know about liquid plexi?
Friday, March 25, 2005 3:33 AM
I've never heard of this but you've def. got my attention...

My Sunfire
Re: does anyone on the boards know about liquid plexi?
Friday, March 25, 2005 4:46 AM
Re: does anyone on the boards know about liquid pl
Friday, March 25, 2005 4:57 AM
Are you referring to weld-on the chemical used to adhere two pieces of plexi or acrylic together? If so Im proficient, ha, gotta love architecture models.

Friday, March 25, 2005 2:27 PM
Got my attention too

Friday, March 25, 2005 2:44 PM
Didn't they use that on Pimp My Ride in the rockers Econoline? It was the clear floor with the records under it.

^CLICK ME TO SEE HOW I BUILT EVERYTHING^ How To in Interior Forum
Friday, March 25, 2005 4:55 PM
I believe the stuff your talking about in pimp my ride is just plain resin. Ive done that a few time to make some small memory boxes and you can also use it on a table or bar to give it a nice thick finish you cant get with Finish.

Saturday, March 26, 2005 5:42 AM
i believe thats what he's talking about, basically the stuff dries completly clear.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Saturday, March 26, 2005 11:38 AM
check out www.selectproducts.com i saw it a few weeks ago and was wondering myself if anyone had any experience with it.
at the bottom of this page

Click Here, To Check Out My Interior
Email Me If Interested_____________________________________Email Me If Interested
Sunday, March 27, 2005 2:38 AM
no, thats just clear epoxy resin that he used in pimp my ride, neat trick though, the stuff i'm talkin about if you go to http://www.glassmanscustomforum.com/howtodvdsthe12volt.html and watch the top video play you'll see him pour some red crap into a box with what looks like metal with 3 holes punched out and then he has a completely clear peice sitting in frame, that peaked my interest, that and the shot of him mixing up powder with some green lookin crap, would just be fun to work with something i can form in a mold without having to lay all the glass in it, i wonder how well epoxy resin would stand up to that kind of thing, and ya that website that was listed is where i saw the product for sale, along with a ton of plexi sheets in all sizes, colors and thicknesses very cool. figured i'd peak attention on this one

J~
Sunday, March 27, 2005 9:36 AM
^the green crap you seen was a thixatropy mixture. resin mixed with fumed silica for reinforcing a box from the inside.

Sunday, March 27, 2005 10:56 AM
ill let you know how resin works in a mold im going to be trying something like that for a project. I have my doubts thou. Im gonna try to use a metal box and coat the sides so hopfully ill be able to pull the form out.

Sunday, March 27, 2005 6:52 PM
cool, sounds like a neat idea, i'd heard about using thickening agents in resin to coat the inside of boxes to add strength without changing the outer shape, cool stuff. www.the12volt.com has alot of info about it, just never seen it done.

J~
Sunday, March 27, 2005 7:48 PM
J~ wrote:cool, sounds like a neat idea, i'd heard about using thickening agents in resin to coat the inside of boxes to add strength without changing the outer shape, cool stuff. www.the12volt.com has alot of info about it, just never seen it done.

J~

yup. it's the best way to reinforce your box. no need to add layers upon layer of mat to the outside of it. that makes for lots of work that you dont' have to do.

aerosil is the stuff they use. it's only green cuz they add a coloring agent to it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search