searched, but no luck gauge cluster - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
searched, but no luck gauge cluster
Sunday, March 27, 2005 2:29 PM
Is it possible to use after market gauges in place of the stock gauge cluster?
In other words, remove the current gause cluster, make a custom panel and use Autometer (just as an example) gauges? Like the speedo, tach, Oil press, water temp, fuel level, fuel pressure. All gauges would be the electronic models, so how hard would the installation be? of course things like a CEL and other warning light would have to be made, but overall how hard would it be for the gauges to hook into the existing wiring harness?

Re: searched, but no luck gauge cluster
Sunday, March 27, 2005 2:37 PM
should be fun running all new wires, New senders, and such.

Fact 1:

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely
true.
Sunday, March 27, 2005 2:42 PM
from what i understand it is not a job that is going to take a day you have to actually get a book and look at the wiring schematics on the car. I was going to do that to my 02 cavy, I am actually selling the gauges on here autometer and stewart warner gauges (under classifieds intereior) I asked a shop and he first priced me at $500 to do it and then later told me that they werent going to do it cause they didnt have any experience with it. As for the wiring harness, from looking at the back i couldnt see anyway you could hook it up there are only about 8 wires and you have the 4 gauges, plus all the little things like lights, check gauge lights, etc.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/751000-751999/751205_27.jpg

Sunday, March 27, 2005 2:43 PM
sorry bout that here ya go

Sunday, March 27, 2005 2:49 PM
so it is possible, but hard to do without all the correct wiring info and connectors. Will the Autometer gauges work with the GM senders, if not which brand is the most compatible?

Sunday, March 27, 2005 4:58 PM
i am not 100% sure if they work with the senders, I ordered all the senders just to be on the safe side

Sunday, March 27, 2005 8:56 PM
00+, not a piece of cake, but do-able.....

95-99..... alot harder, and you'll have to keep the stock cluster plugged in some where (part of the theft lock system, car wont run w/o it)

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Sunday, March 27, 2005 9:07 PM
I have a 95 and I don't have any theft system on my car, never did. I'm still OBD1 for God's sake!!! Heck, I'm lucky that Power windows were standard on the GT or mine would be manual (LOL) I'll look into this theft lock thing and see if I have it for sure (wasn't even on the stock stereo).

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search