Picture Of dash without vinyl - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Picture Of dash without vinyl
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 5:02 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the top piece of a dash on a 00 cavalier without the vinyl on it?

Re: Picture Of dash without vinyl
Thursday, April 07, 2005 5:48 PM
I just want to know if it can be sanded and painted or is fiber glass required?

Thursday, April 07, 2005 5:50 PM
If you get rid of the vinyl and sand it down your gonna have a gap around the entire thing because the thickness of the vinyl. After i ripped all it off of mine I put it back in the car to see how it looked and it was horrible. It would be best to fiberglass it.

Thursday, April 07, 2005 6:35 PM
I was hoping it would look good. I owuld dye mine but it has a few cuts here and there. I have to see whats more cost effective. Im either gonna buy a used and dye it or glass it. id if i glassed it i know it would end up costing alot between primer, glass, resin, paint. I wish they just sold them wraped in black vinyl.

Thursday, April 07, 2005 7:35 PM
blue splash ... love the kit, what is that ? AAS summit?
Friday, April 08, 2005 6:06 AM
if u want it in black vinyl, just use black vinyl dye

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, April 08, 2005 12:41 PM
[M wrote:ATTRESS]blue splash ... love the kit, what is that ? AAS summit?

its a urethane drift kit it is in his registry

I once thounght about exercising but then I laid down until the thought went away
Friday, April 08, 2005 10:17 PM
I used vinyl paint on my dash, black, to cover the charcoal but i got some, i guess what are heat bumps, like bubbles in the paint but for some reason grow larger and get smaller based on the wheather. I was wondering if I sand it down and repaint it if they will come back or is it a safer caller to get my dash wrapped in vinyl.

~With Every Shade Of Night Descending Into Me, I'm In The Dark For Life But At Least I'm Free~
Saturday, April 09, 2005 12:50 AM
heres a few shots for ya

top dash with no vinyl

the gap caused by the top dash having no vinyl you can bearly notice unless your looking right at it. i can fit a quarter in it and it sticks, if that helps.

the last two pics have more of a gap that normal, cuz i dont have the bolt on the end of it holding it together.

Saturday, April 09, 2005 2:08 PM
I dont want to paint the vinyl cause i just got this vert used and they did not take care of it. It has too many scratches. It really doesnt look that bad with no vinyl. is their any prep work done in those pics or is that exactly what it looks like?

Saturday, April 09, 2005 11:22 PM
it hasnt been prepped at all, i plan to sand it down than just BC/CC it.

Sunday, April 10, 2005 3:05 PM
Thanks. Those pics are very useful. Im going to prime mine and paint it black so i doubt the gap will be that noticiable.

Monday, April 11, 2005 8:39 AM
why not just recover it in black vinyl

Monday, April 11, 2005 3:28 PM
cause for something like this id rather save money so i can spend more in other places.

Monday, April 11, 2005 7:23 PM
to prep and paint the right way will cost more than vinyl and glue

Monday, April 11, 2005 9:00 PM
Quote:

Autoflow
Today 6:28 PM

cause for something like this id rather save money so i can spend more in other places.

For the three yards or so of vinyl plus the 3m spray adhesive I used on mine I was out maybe 20 bucks. Plus I had vinyl left over to use elsewhere as well as the spray adhesive.
The cost compared to doing it right and it looking best to me doesn't seem like enough that would take way from doing other mods. It really is rather inexpensive and with an extra hand you can have done in 30 minutes.

Proud member of JBOK (J-bodies of Kentucky)

Monday, April 11, 2005 10:47 PM
Thing is i have all the stuff i need for painting. I am very comfortable with painting and the entire process. Vinyl i have never worked with before. I am however surprised at the price for the vinyl. Where did you get it?

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 7:01 AM
Fabric shop. They had all types with different thickness. I went with the thinnest one for ease of wrapping things. I learned the hard way a long time ago, even if its expensive, it may not be worth it. I think it went anywhere from 4 to 15 dollars a yard depending on what type you got.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 12:04 PM
I probably wont do this for the dash cause itsa big piece but the little fabric pieces on the door panel need to be recovered.once i have a piece cut to the right size and use the adhesive to hold it down how do i keep the edges folded over? also is their and other steps i missed?

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 12:14 PM
When I wrapped mine I made mine a little larger on the back half where it dips in than what the orginal fabric was. If you look at the original fabric it has been cut and re-stitched to fit into that slot really well so if you try just cutting out something the exact size it won't work.. Once I wraped it I didn't worry about rolling it around, because on 2000 and up door panels its not needed. I just used spray adhesive to hold everything of mine in place. Once you re-install everything from behind, the doors hide the bottom and top halves so no real need to hide everything.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 11:14 PM
so the extra meterial that you fold over to the back you held on with sppray adhesive? do you have any pictures of these?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search