fiberglassing headliner - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
fiberglassing headliner
Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:34 PM
I am in the process of fibeglassing my interior and I would like to do the headliner soon, so I was wondering what the best way to go about this would be.....

Could I just put fiberglass resin on the headliner and have the material and cardboard soak it up then lay some mat or just lay the mat like any fiberglass project.

and

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to leave the headliner in the car while doing this, so it keeps its shape?

Re: fiberglassing headliner
Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:47 PM
i think it would be extremely hard to fiberglass it while in the car still, i would suggest taking it out and fiberglass it and hope it turns out perfect, hope this helps, later

pic coming soon

"Live Life To The Fullest" "Customize Everything"
Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:56 PM

try to get a headliner from a salvage yard and practice on that and see how it turns out

this is what i was thining about for the past couple of days.

this way you can put tension on the points that change shape.

racing a ford is like racing a fat kid.
Friday, March 11, 2005 12:30 PM
watch out it may shrink!

ya and take it off you aint gonna be able to fiber it while still on sill rabbit..

beer is like a chick.. well not really its just beer, it be cool thou huh?

Friday, March 11, 2005 3:26 PM
I've done this.... almost! Mine got jacked up, for a really stupid reason. Make sure you remove your headliner. Set it on a flat surface, so it wont be bothered. What I had to do was prop the corners up so when I got fiberglass no it, it wouldn't get weighed down and flex. I let a little resign soak then I used 1 layer of woven matt on it, and some more resign. Mine did not turn out good, because my dog walked into the grauge and made a big crease in the headliner while the resign was setting up, it couldn't be fixed because by the time I found it the fiberglass was hard. So I think, the process I was going to try will work. Hope this helps. If you get yours done let me know. I'm looking for a new headliner so I can lay carbon fiber on it.
Friday, March 11, 2005 6:18 PM
I,m almost positive you are going to have to pull your windshield to get it back in your car after its fiberglassed....Cause once its glassed there is no way you are going to be able to bend it enough to get it back into your cavi.
Friday, March 11, 2005 9:56 PM
it will fit fine if you remove the door, seats, and dash. all will be out of the car anyway, so i should be good, im gonna try it tomorrow night
Saturday, March 12, 2005 11:33 AM
wont need to remove the window at all..just take off all the molding

beer is like a chick.. well not really its just beer, it be cool thou huh?

Sunday, March 13, 2005 9:00 AM
no need to take anyting out except for the moulding around the headliner, it fits in fine fiberglassed, i did mine last year, pull it out. put some weight on each end to keep it from shrinking, what happens is the ends near the pillars will pull in. so when u put it back in the car those 4 corners will be pulled away from the pillars, so when its on the ground u need to find something to lay on top of the corners to keep them from shrinking up on you. just brush fiberglass resin onto the rooftop material get a gallon of fiberglass because that headliner sucks the resin up. then once that is dry, hit it with a sander, because its going to be really rough, just sand it enough to get the ridges and bumps off it, youlle see what i mean when the resin dries, once its dry. add another coat of fiberglass, but this time add a layer of cloth with it. if u dont add the cloth, it will end up cracking on you. trust me on this. one coat of cloth should be all u need. then just sand and add yoru bondo as needed to get it baby butt smooth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, March 13, 2005 10:08 PM
T truly do it right and get it to turn out right you need to keep it installed and somehow turn it over so you don't drip resin all over yourself.

My suggestion is to go to a junkyard and buy a roof to cut off, jig up square to match your roof and then glass it in the jig so it doesn't warp or shrink.

good luck on that.

My Car Domain
Monday, March 14, 2005 6:05 PM
well I have a sum what update for you guys, I have finished phase 1 of the headliner, I kept it in the car and brushed resin on it to it would keep its shape first befor i remove it. I covered everything of course, will post pics when it is removed from car tomorrow,

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 11:36 PM
^ you really should have taken it out of the car...

follow jason's steps. he knows what he's talking about

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 12:13 AM
I have a feeling you are going to run into some serious problems with leaving it in the car. (Resin soaking through and wanting to stick to the roof, problems sanding it and getting it smooth, painting it.)

Proud member of JBOK (J-bodies of Kentucky)

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 4:55 AM
I brushed just enough resin on it so it would get hard and stay that shape, then I took it out and finished the resin brushing, it kept its shape, should have pictures later tonight
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 7:56 PM
So what happened with this? Where's the pics?

My Car Domain
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 7:59 PM
lol. Its not done. It sure did keep its shape and fits good, it still needs sanded. it just takes a long time since I fiberglassed the sides I have to make sure its smooth. I will take a pic tomorrow after school along with everything else that I have been doing
Wednesday, April 13, 2005 9:47 AM
use filler, just sand the fiberglass smooth. actually doing it in the car is the best way in most cases, i just didnt want to deal with the mess when i did mine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search