How To Change the color of your 95-99 cluster gauges w/ LED's - Page 6 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How To Change the color of your 95-99 cluster gauges w/ LED's
Monday, July 16, 2007 9:16 PM
Just got the cluster the other day, and am waiting on white face and bezel... in other words, not yet. But the lights/sockets look the same to me (popped some out)- should be no problem. Hoping to go a step further and do LEDs on the needles. Will take pics if I figure that one out.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:38 AM
Thanks man... hope it comes out badazz
Tuesday, July 17, 2007 7:52 PM
Redline Studios Inc. wrote:Sooo after like 10 minutes of typing and linking my pictures, it turns out I never posted what I wrote so heres the short version because I dont feel like typing it all again... Heres my outcome, you can see how the stock compares to the LED's. Let me know what you think.

My question is this... Are the people with gauges that look like this above... using the "WHITE" or "BLUE" LED's?? I'm assuming blue, but I could be wrong.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:04 PM
^^blue, thats what mine look like

simple minds talk about other people.
average minds talk about events.
great minds discuss ideas
Wednesday, July 18, 2007 5:34 AM
sssooooo has anyone found out how to do this for a sunfire cluster yet? or has no one bothered because of the red film?? also, does the dimming switch still work with the led's? i dont like my cluster real bright and shinning full blast.

SOMEONE, PLEASE POST SUNFIRE HOW TO!!!

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 7:29 AM
im going to try it but haven't had time... but when i do ill tell u how it comes out...
also it say for the 95-99 cluster gauges but i see a Cav cluster on there...
Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:37 PM
Godspeed wrote:sssooooo has anyone found out how to do this for a sunfire cluster yet? or has no one bothered because of the red film?? also, does the dimming switch still work with the led's? i dont like my cluster real bright and shinning full blast.

SOMEONE, PLEASE POST SUNFIRE HOW TO!!!

My guess is that the stock face plate will have to come off, from the looks of it to me. Or ya use the elguages type face. Speaking of which... guess I wasn't paying enough attention, as that's what I ended up with- one of those ebay specials.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&query=95-99+Pontiac+Sunfire+Reverse+Glow+Gauge+96+97+98+New&sim=y&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:MEVSI&itemid=280132161596&sibeleafcat=43952&Se arch_VSI_SameSeller=1&sellername=specrracing

Was really just wanting the plain jane with face and use LEDs. Ofcourse, doing such will mean needle removal. Got mine all tore apart. Maybe I'll snap a few pics for those interested.
Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:53 PM
Actually, the old face plate could be removed easily enough without taking off the needles. A new plate would have to have holes big enough to slip the needles through (like the one I bought). I'm still thinking there's probably a way to get the needles off without making a mess of things... need to make a call.
Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:05 PM
Ran into a small problem while doing this... I got the sockets at O'Riley's Auto Parts.... came in packs of 2 for $2.99 which is a great deal... but the socket wouldn't like up with the soder points... I took some dykes snipped of a little chunk of the socket and fit snuggly with my "www.superbrightleds.com" blue bulbs.... LOOKS GREAT! Also replaced the HVAC bulbs as well. I'll update pictures as soon as I get'em loaded.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 5:15 AM
i've done this on my sunfire. i took out the old bulbs and soldered in 5mm blue LED's. i have pictures that i'll upload tonight. it honestly doesn't look purple at all it jus a dark and kinda dull blue. it's no-where near as bright as using a cavalier cluster. if you honestly want that bright a blue with a sunfire, just do the cavalier cluster swap. You need to modify part of the dash just a bit so it fits right, but that's the only real way to get the true blue in any sunfire. other then a blackcatcustom gauge overlay.

Friday, August 03, 2007 10:20 PM
any one know of a site i can guy the sockets from?

Friday, August 10, 2007 11:08 PM
i dont know why u guys use the sockets it cannot be that hard to get that bulb out, i replaced my hvac bulb s and they seem way smaller without a problem 194 is a pretty decent size bulb same as blinkers
Saturday, August 11, 2007 8:09 AM
they are hard to get out of the stock sockets, because they arent just pushed into the socket like the other 194 bulbs on the car, they are actually soldered into the socket. its not hard to get out, just a little bit more of a pain than pull out/push in bulbs. ive dont 4 sets of these on my two Zs(1 blue,1 red), my girls cav(purple/uv), and my friends Z(green), just gotta take your time!

simple minds talk about other people.
average minds talk about events.
great minds discuss ideas
Saturday, August 11, 2007 8:38 AM
yea...the little leads are pulled off the bottom of the bulb, the twisted down and around the socket and THEN soldered ...so its kind a pain..the sockets arent even made for a "push in" type bulb so even when you get the bulbs out you cant reuse them..the aftermarket sockets are the way to go

Friday, August 24, 2007 12:46 PM
i gotta read this whole thread later today. lol

just thought i'd post...

http://www.myspace.com/fpsunfire
5 seconds to find another street...
Saturday, August 25, 2007 3:34 AM
RL5-R10-360 Red diffused 1000 360° 625 nm T-1 3/4
RL8-R25-360 Red diffused 2500 360° 625 nm 8mm

one of these the bulbs i should be ordering?? help plz

Sunday, August 26, 2007 3:51 PM
Great how to, this should be a sticky. I got the leds(blue) and the sockets for the cluster will do the conversion sometime this week, btw what bulb size or led size do I need for HVAC of a 96 Z ?
Monday, August 27, 2007 5:46 AM
scott (section8cav) wrote:the bulbs for the Hvac are 74's

there ya go

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:30 AM
I have a full set of blue leds for this swap if anyone wants them let me know. I'll even throw in the cluster sockets to make it pretty much plug and play. I'm no way in hell going to take apart my new 03 cluster to do this. So they are no longer any use to me. PM me if anyone wants em.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:17 PM
Done, it looks awesome! The gauges match the Pioneer color display...now just have to replace the HVAC bulbs with same color leds.
Thursday, August 30, 2007 12:15 PM
grr... i have an 02 cluster, I wanna do this but i dont wanna mess it up.

Guess Who's back!!!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:23 PM
H A N Z E N R I D E R wrote:grr... i have an 02 cluster, I wanna do this but i dont wanna mess it up.

Just get one from a salvage yard, so you don't chance screwing yours up!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:39 PM
Also, are you guys aware that superbrightleds.com carries LED cluster bulbs ready to go now, in both twist-base sizes?
No need to even buy wedge bulbs and aftermarket twist bases anymore. They made it as easy as it can get.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:38 PM
would this sama procedure of switching to LEDs also work on the headliner lights? I would like to change mine to red to match my interior without doing unneccesary wiring, this would be useful b.c the interior light switch is already wired in.
Tuesday, September 11, 2007 6:45 PM
Mark O wrote:would this sama procedure of switching to LEDs also work on the headliner lights? I would like to change mine to red to match my interior without doing unneccesary wiring, this would be useful b.c the interior light switch is already wired in.

yeah, the dome light bulb is a 194 and the rear view mirror bulbs too

i'm switching mine to red too

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search