Relocating PRND321? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Relocating PRND321?
Friday, December 30, 2005 5:27 PM
hey guys. i have an idea and need some help here.

i have a 2002 automatic transmission Cavalier. I will be purchasing a MOMO automatic shift knob and want to put a shift boot on it.

The question is...
I want the shift boot to cover the base with the PRND321 indicators. Is there anyway to relocate those indicators somewhere else, maybe have some LED's light up instead on the dash somewhere? since the 00+ dont have those indicators on the cluster.

any help or suggestions welcome.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/h2blink

Re: Relocating PRND321?
Friday, December 30, 2005 5:54 PM
I think the only way to do it would be to rig something so when the "shifter" was in a cartain place it would hit a little switch and in turn light up a led. Like this...

Sorry for the cruddy drawing.

This wouldn't use a switch but the P, R, N, D, 3, 2, 1 would be leds and would all be wired to a negative and then when the shifter that had the positive wire hooked to it hit the positive wire from the led, the led would light up. Of course you would need some resistors and such but i think u get the idea. If not, let me know and i'll explain it better.

-Seth

Friday, December 30, 2005 7:01 PM
It can be done but it will not be enjoyable and you're gonna need some crazy parts to do it. I'd like to see it when it's done and will even find some kind of prize for you if you succeed.

Steve
Friday, December 30, 2005 7:11 PM
Prize huh???
Does that go for me too. If so i'm up for giving it a try. I need a project before i go back to school.

-Seth

Friday, December 30, 2005 7:44 PM
nah, that wont work. the shifter is all metal. the normal light works mechanically to move the light

Friday, December 30, 2005 8:31 PM
hmm, I'll do it.

._____________________________.
Causa latet vis est notissima

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Saturday, December 31, 2005 11:32 AM
Blue Cav Customs wrote:It can be done but it will not be enjoyable and you're gonna need some crazy parts to do it. I'd like to see it when it's done and will even find some kind of prize for you if you succeed.

Steve

in that case, im on it

RIP Kasey Burleson, and get well soon Chris Shelly

Saturday, December 31, 2005 11:36 AM
why not just pay attention when your driving... its not rocket science, all the way forward is park, one down is reverse 2 down from there is drive

Saturday, December 31, 2005 12:11 PM
first one to make a functioning version of this and post it here wins. If you can send me a template, the prize will be a CF cover for it, otherwise we'll work out something else.
Saturday, December 31, 2005 12:18 PM
heres an idea, why not just swap in a cluster w/ it on there?

Saturday, December 31, 2005 1:04 PM
Swap a 95-99 cluster into a 2k+? Eh, it'd fit, but the wiring is quite different from what I understand.

Saturday, December 31, 2005 1:14 PM
i was under the impression that it would work. i dunno thats why i said heres an idea. i know some are interchangeable but i dont know which ones. like ryan said though, is it really needed still though? you should know the feel of how far you need to go to put it in drive

Saturday, December 31, 2005 5:55 PM
plus my car kicks a little bit when i put it into drive or if you pull down too far and push all the way up it locks it into neutral and if you pull down as far as it will go without pushing the button that is drive. pretty east.

Saturday, December 31, 2005 8:56 PM
I agree, if you can't drive an automatic without having indicators, you should rethink driving period.

Sunday, January 01, 2006 12:23 AM
I wanna relocate mine like him just so when my girlfriend drives the car she dont destroy the tranny!

btw theres shift indicators available on the net

oh and where would i plug one on a 96 cavy ? (im swapping a manual cluster in)

Sunday, January 01, 2006 12:28 AM
Well I decided to give it a shot and I didn't get it to totally work because i can't figure a good way to get the positive leads to contact the positive source that is attached to the shifter. I also don't have a 1/2" drill bit so i couldn't mount the led's on some plexi so I made due with some cardboard. Heres some pics of what i had goin on.

This one didn't work so i tried a different place.

This worked a little better but it still isn't workin good.

Gotta figure something that will hit this when going forward and backward.

This is what i was doin a midnight, lame i know. I'll try more on it tomorrow hopefully.

-Seth

Sunday, January 01, 2006 6:12 AM
why don't you just use a button type switch. not one that locks in, but kinda like a switch that you would run a trunk light on, where it's spring loaded so it automatically goes on or off when there isn't pressure on it (off in this case) and then make it so the tops are shaped like the top of a trapezoid so the shifter can move it in either direction. like.....the best example i can give is if you made it look like an OBD2 connector and then it could use either side to push it down. then you just position them so that the shifter will hit them and push them in no matter which direction it's moving and you should be set. i'd make one, but i don't have an auto. sorry i don't have any pics to make my description a lil better, but i suck at drawing stuff on the comp and i don't think i have a program. well, good luck to everyone trying. hope i helped someone out

-john
Sunday, January 01, 2006 12:40 PM
^^^ I get what you mean, it's just trying to find one of those switches and right now i can't afford paying another 10 bucks for this so i might have to wait a week till i try somethin else.

-Seth

Sunday, January 01, 2006 1:31 PM
got a manny but theres some good ideas here, but if i had a auto i would want a paddle shifter mod

Sunday, January 01, 2006 1:31 PM
paddle i ment slap

Monday, January 02, 2006 6:14 AM
I'm thinking that you would be better off usinf the neutral safety switch. The little switch onn that moves whenever you move the shifter.

Monday, January 02, 2006 7:43 AM
how about this ?????

all the hard work has already been done

http://dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=64/category_id=-1/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd64.htm

you just gotta know where to look

Monday, January 02, 2006 9:38 AM
hmmmmmmmmmm

nice find

RIP Kasey Burleson, and get well soon Chris Shelly

Monday, January 02, 2006 10:00 AM
your welcome

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search