*Official Widebody Post* - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
*Official Widebody Post*
Saturday, July 29, 2006 1:02 PM
Well, here is a quick glance at the work that I've been doing to my car for the widebody. I am aiming to have this completed for next season *fingers crossed*. I've got alot of work done so far, but I am by no means near being done what so ever. Here is a preview of the work:

I started this project on June 10th/06.

Rear bumper molds:

Bumper molded to Quarter panel:

Then I started to work on the Driver Side:

Both Quarters nearing completion of the molding:

Fenders being started:

The design on the door was my initial plan, however, after Ryan's (white raven) photoshops I realized that would have ruined the lines on the car:

Ryan's chop:

Ryan's chop that shows the body lines more clearly:

Now the latest update as of July 29th/06:

I did more fiberglassing today by making a mold of the front bumper. It will flow from it's current position to a thicnkess of 2 inches to flow back into the widebody.

The fender will flow into the bumper smoothly. The thickness at the back of the bumper mold won't be as sharp as it currently stands. I will be rounding that part off a bit more.

The reason for the front and rear bumpers being extended outwards aswell, is because when I invisioned this project I wanted to see the front and rear bumpers stick out just asmuch as the side of the car. I mostlikely need to also widen the side skirts aswell.

I will keep on posting pictures of the process of the car as I work on it. It has come along way so far....next step would be the driver's side bumper molds, and then sanding, then the door additions will be fiberglassed. I am still debating on that though. Do I make a new door handle that is flat and flush in the widebod panel on the door? Or do I just shave the handles off completely?

Re: *Official Widebody Post*
Saturday, July 29, 2006 1:32 PM
Looks like alot of work

Coming along nicely man

Keep us posted

Saturday, July 29, 2006 1:37 PM
looks incredible. i'd say shave the handles. i can't wait to see this project finished

Saturday, July 29, 2006 1:41 PM
why are you not doing the parts of the car? I figure you were going to do the whole car. But looks good keep up the work

Saturday, July 29, 2006 1:44 PM
Redcavi98/Green Machine wrote:why are you not doing the parts of the car? I figure you were going to do the whole car. But looks good keep up the work

?

i'm baaaaack!!
Saturday, July 29, 2006 1:57 PM
Looks great so far man,

I think bringing the side skirts out a bit will really help with the overall flow.

It'd probably be a nightmare doing those molds though.

Good luck and I can't wait to see what you do with it

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where
they're going and hook up with them later." RIP Mitch Hedberg
Saturday, July 29, 2006 1:57 PM
Looks good buddy. I'd make molds because someone would run into me once everything was done and have to start over.

I vote create flush handles. It's harder and would be a subtle detail showing your craftsmanship. Everyone takes the easy route and shaves which looks good but everyone is doing it. If this was easy, everyone would do it, and then it wouldn't be cool anymore.

^CLICK ME TO SEE HOW I BUILT EVERYTHING^ How To in Interior Forum
Saturday, July 29, 2006 1:58 PM
Its going to look aweseom big poppa!! Your in for a lot of work, but your well aware of that!!

Saturday, July 29, 2006 2:21 PM
PIMP @!#$ you got there

Disclaimer: I will probally offend you with what is written in this post.

Saturday, July 29, 2006 4:19 PM
Looks great so far. My favorite part is that your making the front fenders smooth and not just having them bump out like pretty much everyone else has.

Saturday, July 29, 2006 4:22 PM
i want more progress pix!!

Saturday, July 29, 2006 7:30 PM
Crazy man. Keep it up.

Saturday, July 29, 2006 7:40 PM
not a big fan of wide body's on j-body's. J's arent ment to have sharp edges, and the the shape you're making around the door doesnt go at all with the natural body lines of the car. just my opinion. but i think widebody's just add an unnecessary bulky look to an otherwise sleek and slender car. good work though with the fiberglass.

Saturday, July 29, 2006 10:19 PM
I can appreciate the work going into this home made kit... but the lines are WAY to sharp for my personal taist.

Saturday, July 29, 2006 11:44 PM
id just have a little spot under the widebody on the door
and have a button to pop the door open

Sunday, July 30, 2006 9:59 AM
Quote:

I will keep on posting pictures of the process of the car as I work on it. It has come along way so far....next step would be the driver's side bumper molds, and then sanding, then the door additions will be fiberglassed. I am still debating on that though. Do I make a new door handle that is flat and flush in the widebod panel on the door? Or do I just shave the handles off completely?

you should make the door panel just hide the exsisting door handle that way it's still usable!

Sunday, July 30, 2006 12:54 PM
badass

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Sunday, July 30, 2006 3:58 PM
looks really good man, can't wait to see the results

Click Here for PIX!!
Sunday, July 30, 2006 5:36 PM
use old school vet handles turned upside down in the door panel of the wide body
Sunday, July 30, 2006 7:20 PM
Adam (StealthCavalier) wrote:not a big fan of wide body's on j-body's. J's arent ment to have sharp edges, and the the shape you're making around the door doesnt go at all with the natural body lines of the car. just my opinion. but i think widebody's just add an unnecessary bulky look to an otherwise sleek and slender car. good work though with the fiberglass.

Yeah I understand what you mean. But you know and what I can see, Vince got mad skills with the glass.
So he could use the skills to transform the Cavfire to "something" a true one of kind. Im sure he is gonna pull off this one.

I agree about sleek and slender body lines is already there on our cars that is what I love the most.

Keep up the good work!

Sunday, July 30, 2006 8:06 PM
Well I got a bit more work done today...not too much though, I spent the entire day working on my friends 92 Civic. She has alot of rust on the car that I've been getting off for the past couple of free days. In the spare time, I worked on the fender for a little.

My plan is to cut the fender and front bumper section apart, so they are two parts and not molded. why? well If i need to do any work to the car and I need to remove the front bumper It would be alot easier without it being molded to the rest of the car. Also I can change front bumpers down the line if i need to aswell.

Notice the fender has about 1-1.5 Inches of space where the door line is? The door can open and close without touching leaving me enough room to mold to the car. However...I will need to figure out a way to create that piece along the door to flow nicely into the fender.

And a shot of the side itself...

For the rear section itself. I think I will be adding a round part around the backside of the wheel well just like the front section. I will get working on that shortly next time I have a free day.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 8:23 PM
to me ... it would look 100 x better if you would round the points on the wide body IMO! just to keep the cavfires smooth curves!

nice updates ... you started on the other side?

Sunday, July 30, 2006 9:50 PM
I just thought, this would be much easier if you cut the front bumper half and extend to the wide fenders. That is your plan?

You only will have a bigger mouth.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 10:05 PM
looks really good.. just curious as to why you're using small cut outs of matting when you can use a much bigger sheet so it will be more even after the resin has set? (just curious your reason)

I think its a great idea you're making the whole kit off the car first

lastly, you're not using only cdn tire resin are you?

keep up the good work!!

www.DomesticTuners.com 'The Place To Tune Your Domestic'
Monday, July 31, 2006 12:21 AM
that is freaking sweet bro... i wish i had that kind of talent... cant wait to see it done man keep up the awesome work...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search