Not A Teaser - Page 13 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Not A Teaser
Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:41 AM
Phillip Gruver wrote:
Copter wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
WHITECAVY wrote:I just hate............... the hoodpins Get some black ones.

that is a true function over form piece. I dont find it safe to do 30mph without them on the hood. I want to get my bov annodized black, and those might go with to get annodized. they are staying regardless. I wish that style came in black, but sadly only silver, blue and red, so i picked the lesser of two evils. Cant powder coat them since they slide and snap on themselves that would be destroyed in no time.

as for the coilovers, im not going to ride around on 1cm of threads even though they are fine threads, im not going to do it. its not safe. you cant tell me out of the nearly $2000 we spent on them that they cant cut me a piece of aluminum tubing thats 3" longer? cmon man.

Where's the info on this STD coil over issue, haven't followed up on this in a while?

the way they designed their upper mounts and lower mounts makes the assembly so short it drops the rear like 4 inches from stock and it's highest position. Vince is right these could drag frame all day and still have full travel. They are amazing pieces, and the best suspension I have ever owned.

Reference - this is as HIGH as the rear goes on the factory STD setup.

Not to thread jack but helping explain.

Holy @!#$, thanks for that info. I wouldn't be able to get into my driveway like that.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:05 AM
That is way to @!#$ low for the roads around here.

Vince, car looks tits man. The sleeve problem is BS.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:05 AM
Thanks guys. Can't wait to dial it all in how I want it. I'm sure they will be worth it.just gotta fix the sleeve issue

Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:16 AM
darm garage queens. trailor it this garage, trailer it to that garage. lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:08 PM
Looking good Vince! Can't wait to see this beast.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:43 PM
Yea Vince you car is defanetly mint...Very good taste and a REALY solid ride man..I just cant wait to see some vids of that beast when its running top notch, yea I know it wont be till next year but wish you the best of luck!! CONGRATS
Sunday, November 20, 2011 12:44 PM
Thanks guys. Got emails from STD.

"The R5 rear cylinders are longer than the R3. We turned some R3 sets to R5, so it seem that only the rear top mount was converted on your kit.

We can send you two R5 rear cylinders, they will be 2 inches longer than what you have now. Is it ok?"

so should be solved soon. Too bad they wont go on for almost 2 weeks. I have Hazmat Tech A&B for two weeks so ill be down here at work before I can get them put on. Glad to see they are fixing it.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 7:06 AM
For those of you saying you'll stay away from STD I wouldn't get discouraged. From what I can tell the problems come from a lack of communication. I don't want to blame John because he is a good guy and has always been very helpful, but every time I have emailed STD with a problem or question they have been quick to reply and take care of things. As soon as I found out that they had offered Vince new rear cylinders I emailed them letting them know I had the same problem and they didn't hesitate to ask for my info so they could send me new ones as well.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 9:33 AM
Agreed. I didnt know john was in an accident at all and that obviously delays things a bit.

Now they are stepping up asap, sending me the sleeves free of charge for shipping and the parts. Sucks it had to chew on my tire from rubbing on the fender but, it is what it is. Ill be happy to get the new parts and get it set up correct.

Called Bates, he didnt have any LSJ heads, but thats what I'm looking for, so everyone keep your eyes open for me please!

Thursday, November 24, 2011 4:00 PM
There is a guy with a couple LSJ heads on CSS
http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/parts-66/lsj-motor-part-out-265756/
Thursday, November 24, 2011 4:39 PM
Yeah keep an eye out on CSS. I have been watching on there for an LSJ head myself, but I have a few extra bills this month so it will have to wait.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 7:36 PM
I sent an email saying they need to replace my 2 brand new tires that were destroyed since they sent the wrong parts to me from the start and I didnt have other suspension to put on the car once the old was taken off. Car could not stay on the lift since other vehicles needed worked on. Same reason it could not sit in the shop for this amount of time its taking them to fix the mounts.

Odds are they won't replace them, but I feel they should. The damage from below is showing from only 50' of driving. From the shop to the storage spot in my garage. They are DESTROYED because they sent the short sleeves out of the factory in my box, to my door. Not very happy at all. Only miles they have on them is 100 miles to and from Chicago, 300 miles down to Fetter in Troy. and 50' from shop to garage and thats what they look like...

Does anyone else feel im in the wrong here for asking them to fix that?

Copied from the GP

Thursday, November 24, 2011 7:45 PM
No they should not. That's like saying I blew up my engine because the tuner couldn't finish the tune. You knew the tire rubbed and still drove/moved the car like that. I am pretty sure you stated you had a threads left to move the suspension up. You could have rolled the lip to clear your AFTERMARKET wheels and wider tires. Also I am betting that factory wheels and tires would have not made contact with the lip. So imo dumb move on your part.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 7:50 PM
No I had no thread left. it was at the 1 which is maxed out. none left otherwise it would have seperated threads from the tube.. I even have the spring tension cranked WAY up, and them set at FULL hard. they even said they sent the wrong parts. I had no way to put suspension back on it. car HAD TO MOVE OUT OF THE SHOP. No choice to leave it in there longer than it was in there. If they sent the correct parts from the start, would not have been an issue. There was 1/8" clearance before it moved. small bump caused that.

Wish I would have had some other wheel or tire to put on or even some stock suspension or something to put on but I dont/didnt.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:07 PM
I still don't understand why I had enough clearance in the rear to drive mine, but you didn't. We have pretty much the same wheel specs except for a 2mm offset difference. I only had a bit of thread left on mine too, but even hitting bumps at 55-60mph on stock dampening I barely bumped the tires(not even enough to make marks on them).

Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:12 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Wish I would have had some other wheel or tire to put on or even some stock suspension or something to put on but I dont/didnt.

...and that's his point, moving your car was done at your liability and "preventable damage".

Sucks they sent you the wrong parts, but I feel your fighting a silly battle with the tires now.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:03 PM
karma, this is what you get..

lol

Friday, November 25, 2011 5:26 AM
That really sucks that your tires got ruined.....but..

I cant see any company replacing the tires. Like it was said above. It would be like driving the car with a tune that isnt done for any reason and the motor blew and going after the tuner.

I fully understand though. Id totally want them to replace my tires and would be furious.

Where was your previous suspension? Prolly should have threw that on till you had a chance to fix the problem.
Friday, November 25, 2011 5:32 AM
Gone once they came off the car. Could have been avoided had the right parts been sent or if I had other suspension to put on.

For $2000 I expected them to be right. Even after they said they redesigned them to be right.

Friday, November 25, 2011 6:02 AM
Gone once they came off the car. Could have been avoided had the right parts been sent or if I had other suspension to put on.

For $2000 I expected them to be right. Even after they said they redesigned them to be right.

I dont compare it to tuning because tuning runs multiple systems. But to me when a part like this is specifically designed to do one thing, and then re-designed, because OEM was going to make the correct part for them but STD wanted them to stay all STD, and then they send the wrong parts, even after saying that it was the correct re-designed kit, then there is a problem.

Sure it could have been avoided, by sending the right parts. Or by not moving the car. But that was not my choice. it had to be moved. Not my rules. Had it been my way, car would still be sitting on the lift with no rear suspension in it. But since my car came off, a dozen vehicles have been on and off the lift as well as 20+ trucks been in and out of the shop using all the square footage in there.

Probably fighting a losing battle and once I get the new lower pieces ill have to move it again to put them on, and when that happens then ill have 2" of clearance.

Even if they dont fix my tires, it brings to their attention for anyone else that orders the R5 kit, to double check and make sure that they did it correctly before they send them out. So even if mines not resolved, it brings it to their attention.

Friday, November 25, 2011 11:27 AM
Yea man I doubt you get any luck with them replacing your tires. Kinda like Jason stated up there. STD is gonna look at you like you shouldnt of even tried to drive on them if you heard or felt any rubbing in the rear.
That does suck though, and how do you not have steelies laying around? lol. Every J owner has those laying somewhere

Also, tell the truth, you know you took the car out for a spin, dont lie hehe

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Friday, November 25, 2011 11:31 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:you shouldnt of even tried to drive on them if you heard or felt any rubbing in the rear.

there was 1/8"-1/4" gap when it was on the ground, car had to be moved regardless of if it had square wood wheels, it could not stay in the spot it was, especially since I had zero suspension or other tires to swap in place.

Even if they dont replace them, brings attention to them double checking before they send out the wrong parts.

As for the last part. Car is not tuned, #1 spark plug hole fills with coolant, brakes are not bled, car is on storage insurance.... no chance in hell I took it out. Car has only moved 50' under its own power.

Friday, November 25, 2011 11:39 AM
Seems like you need some of those things the body shop here uses, the caster things, lift the car up throw it down on these and slide it around.
Friday, November 25, 2011 11:42 AM
Phillip Gruver wrote:Seems like you need some of those things the body shop here uses, the caster things, lift the car up throw it down on these and slide it around.

Car dollies, and they cant make it out of the 1" lip to leave the shop, it would have bounced going over that lip and done the same thing maybe just not as bad. But cut sidewall is cut sidewall.

Friday, November 25, 2011 11:59 AM
Thank you, I couldn't remember at the time. Oh well worth a shot.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search