totally different supercharger setup... - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: totally different supercharger setup...
Wednesday, November 23, 2011 9:55 PM
saw one on andys auto sport too, like 4300 or something haha, crazy price. im not thinking about one for my own car, this one was the whole car for sale, i was just curious if anybody did anything impressive with this setup.. quad four forums says some people worked the kinks out but the posts are all very vague ie, no numbers,stats or even ballpark figures

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:03 PM
TheInfamousEco wrote:At 5psi with a 12:1 FMU and No other fuel mods or tuning, I made about 190hp at the crank. I cant recall the torque numbers. I never got numbers with 6 psi and LSJ injectors but I'd imagine at least 200hp.

?? So, you have access to an engine dyno? How exactly do you come to that number?

These kits were all the rage before the introdcution of the GM kit, even though they were stupidly expensive. The biggest problem with them, and why they never made any decent numbers, is because centrifugal supercharges simply are not anywhere near ideal for a small displacement engine. You basically get all the lag of a turbo without getting the power.

To compound this issue was the fact that RSM was pretty much a bunch of scam artists (they provided a "tuned" ecu with their kits, which upon the advent of HPTuners was found not to be tuned at all- it was a stock ecu), and the kits just really weren't machined all that well. I don't think I ever saw one in person that didn't eat belts every other week or cause pretty bad leaks from the cam seals. The camshaft of a 4 cylinder engine just was never meant to have that kind of load, especially as misaligned as the pulleys tended to be.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, November 25, 2011 4:03 PM
That's an estimate based off of the horsepower to the wheels that me and a few others guys at the '09 bash estimated based on the drive train loss. Keep in mind I'm an auto. I think the wheel horsepower was 160-170. I can't remember exaclty, but it was somewhere in that range. The kits were pricey. Mainly becuase of the Vortech pieces. The blower and the BOV alone were about $1200 at the time. If you bargained with RSM they dropped the price substantially. Doesn't matter though, it was still too much for an imperfect kit. Bottom line is RSM is, for all practical purposes gone, and their kit is as well. Good riddence.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search