Lopey Bump Sticks + Bad News - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lopey Bump Sticks + Bad News
Monday, June 04, 2012 3:07 PM
This will probably be the only update for this year on mine unless I get motivated to tear it apart again and see the issue. I did get the head done from M2 race systems... The mistake I made was using the old style timing chain tensioner... You can already see where this was going...

Logged a few idles for Ryan to take a look at and see if he could clean it up some so I would be able to get it on the trailer to get tuned at least. Never made it that far. This is the second time that I have been ready the day or two before to get my car tuned that something went wrong. Last time it was my head leaking now, the tensioner failed and the car skipped timing...

Have yet to confirm it 100% but the car turns over super easy... I WISH it turned over like that every time. It just sounds like air going straight through. The stock old version tensioner didnt pop like we thought and I had noticed a ticking noise from that area and then the idle got rough and i turned it off. Pulled the valve cover, spun the motor to line marks up and tdc and it looked lined up, no slack between gears so I was not sure what it was, changed the oil, came out clear, everything looked good. bolted the cover back on, plugs in and thats when the super easy crank started.

Im not mad, I was upset when it happened but now I am not bothered. Its been down for 2 years almost so I am used to turning the key in my truck and going. Ill get around to it eventually. Right now, not concerned about it. Anyone ever bent valves? Did it take valve guides with it? Assuming its the exhaust side is what I have heard from people I have talked to. Its all part of a non-stock build. @!#$ happens then you fix it. Odds are im a lifer unless the right amount of money came along so why put so much into it just to sell it?

this is the first start of 2012

here is the lopey idle with cutout open. dont mind the squeaky dash and rattling dome light. sounded good when it ran.

Fall 2012/Spring 2013 here I come!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, June 05, 2012 7:27 PM

Re: Lopey Bump Sticks + Bad News
Monday, June 04, 2012 3:10 PM
start tearing it apart. summer has just begun.

Monday, June 04, 2012 3:20 PM
Sucks man, but at least you have the right attitude of "@!#$ happens then you fix it.". I see too many people have one failure and throw in the towel. Fact is when you start tearing into a motor and modding it, chances of issues instantly rise. I'm on the same page...if I pop my current setup, I'll park it for a few weeks, take a breather, then fix it.

As far as the valves, I've been bent valves out of several motors, but never had a guide rip out with it...though not to say it's not possible. Definitely go with the revised tensioner next time...that was the first thing on my shopping list this year, lol...I took apart my old one after pulling it and was surprised that it didn't fail.

Monday, June 04, 2012 3:23 PM
We will see when I tear into it. Was a rush just hearing it idle.... driving will be that much better. I'd hope its valves only.

Also Performance Autowerks has a revised tensioner that keeps it hydraulic that I'm going to look into. If I don't like it I'll go manual. Theirs is $150 as where someone told me Bates manual one is $50.

We will see. Plenty of time. I just don't need the car right now so I'm in no rush.

Monday, June 04, 2012 3:24 PM
I've seen the little tabs break off the cam gears when putting them on, assuming this is an ecotec you speak of.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Monday, June 04, 2012 3:26 PM
Gm adjustable cam gears and the tabs are still there. And yes Ecotec. The engine in the second video and my profile.

Monday, June 04, 2012 3:57 PM
That sucks to hear...lucky you have a daily in the meantime.

Id just get the revised version and call it a day. Very easy to set and no chance of it blowing apart.
Monday, June 04, 2012 4:01 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:We will see when I tear into it. Was a rush just hearing it idle.... driving will be that much better. I'd hope its valves only.

Also Performance Autowerks has a revised tensioner that keeps it hydraulic that I'm going to look into. If I don't like it I'll go manual. Theirs is $150 as where someone told me Bates manual one is $50.

We will see. Plenty of time. I just don't need the car right now so I'm in no rush.

links?

Monday, June 04, 2012 4:12 PM
You would have to email them... I dont think its something that they advertise. Matt texted me about it after hearing what happened and seeing i thought about going manual

Monday, June 04, 2012 5:36 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:We will see when I tear into it. Was a rush just hearing it idle.....

I know what you mean...we got my car to idle for like 10 seconds tonight before dying, and hearing those big cams and blower made me squeal like a little girl, lol.

I had gotten the revised AC Delco tensioner, I think it was like $45 shipped from Rock Auto. Didn't even realize Bates had a manual one.

Monday, June 04, 2012 6:38 PM
Having f previously owned a couple dsms, I've bent and broken my share of valves. Only 1 time did I have a valve take a guide and that was in a 4.0 sohc ford motor in a 04 explorer. Spring broke and let the valve drop into the piston valve bent over and busted a chunk out of the quide.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Monday, June 04, 2012 7:05 PM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:We will see when I tear into it. Was a rush just hearing it idle.....

I know what you mean...we got my car to idle for like 10 seconds tonight before dying, and hearing those big cams and blower made me squeal like a little girl, lol.

I had gotten the revised AC Delco tensioner, I think it was like $45 shipped from Rock Auto. Didn't even realize Bates had a manual one.

yeah such a giddy school girl moment. Ive seen the new style tensioner but I think ill give pwerks the chance on the hydraulic one that they make... supposed to be better than the manual or revised version.

Monday, June 04, 2012 7:17 PM
What does it do different?

Im pretty sure the new one is hydraulic and spring tension
Monday, June 04, 2012 8:13 PM
Damn Vince sorry to hear i would give you the same advice you gave me but you seem to have a good outlook on it compared to mine lol. When i bought my 03 LSS it had bent intake valves and i just replaced the valves, tensioner and head gasket. Looking forward to you gettin it back together and down to Ryan.

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Monday, June 04, 2012 9:52 PM
ever thought of throwing a tensioner on it and checking the compression?

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 4:14 AM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:ever thought of throwing a tensioner on it and checking the compression?

I tried a compression test on one cylinder and who knows it could have been my gauge not seating right.... not sure but it read zero... I'm going to try a leak down test instead since I would rather not crank it more than I have to.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 9:57 AM
Man Vince sorry to hear bro! Yea there is lots of guys who would just give up and say F it and sell rite away or part out..But Im also one of the ones that if something was to happen after my build I would just take a minute and get back into it.. I really hope you get this figured out and get it to Ryan as soon as possible (witch I know you will)..But I wish you the best of luck and CANT WAIT to see this beast up and running top notch..Gotta tell ya tho..the lope that your car has sounds effin mean bro!! Good lick with everything man and Im tunned in for the duration!!
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 6:03 PM
Damn. Sorry to see Vince =[ That's such a bummer.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 6:39 PM

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 6:54 PM
Mrs Jazer wrote:Damn. Sorry to see Vince =[ That's such a bummer.

might tear into it this weekend... might not. not motivated at the moment. If anything i might try a leakdown test. in due time itll be back.

ill check my parts pile to see if i have anything left. Pretty sure I have stock injectors and stock harness.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 9:57 AM
I say get a bore scope and physically look in the plug holes for damage.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, June 07, 2012 9:59 AM
In my opinion... i think it needs to be torn apart no matter what. My motor should never crank this easy. That alone makes me skip everything else and go into tear down mode.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 7:42 PM
Got this 100% free to me... guy on another forum sent it to me because I asked which towel is better, single soft or double soft? Wouldnt even let me pay shipping.

Friday, June 08, 2012 3:51 AM
Love the way it sounds. And don't lose sight of our goal.

R.I.P. Jesse 07/11/87-01/25/08
14.4 @ 101 Bradenton Motorsports Park 11/22/08

Sunday, June 10, 2012 5:31 AM
Thanks. I think once its running again, the idle will be my favorite part..... until i mash the go pedal

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search