Project-J 13' new year, new direction - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Project-J 13' new year, new direction
Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:40 PM
Going/Gone from this;

Back to stock exterior parts.

This is the new plan.
Hopefully by SEGME(first weekend in April) the exterior should consist of(may not be painted but together);
Rear bumper:
03-05 Cavalier LSS rear bumper
OR
03-05 Cavalier base bumper W/ 00-02 rear lip

Skirts:
00-02 Sunfire SE side skirts

Front end:
00-02 Sunfire SE front end W/ evil eye hood
or
95-99 Z24 front bumper modified to fit the 00-02 headlights/corners

Here is where it stands right now.
Sold the SRT4 rims and bought these

17" ADR Revolutions with a set of 205/40/17 Hankook tires with 2 almost new, and two with 50% tread.
need to locate two center caps, but other than that I love these.
I'd really like to go with 215/45 or 225/45 later down the road.

Removed the Drift kit and put on the stock Z24 rear bumper and some Sunfire SE skirts for now.

The ADR's already stick out alot further than the SRT4's did, still I'd like to get some spacers back here and push them out a bit more.

Gotta clean up the quarter panel where the side skirt was partially molded.

Here is a quick photoshop from a friend with the car lowered, skirts painted and quarter panel cleaned up.

I think I'm back on track and going in the right direction now.
As soon as our tax refund gets here the exterior will be completed, body work started and then my friend is going to let me use his paint booth and paint the car.
Going to be lowering it about 2" all around, maybe just 1.5" I'm not positive yet.

Re: Project-J 13' new year, new direction
Saturday, January 12, 2013 7:03 PM
Yeah I think you'll like either 215/45 or 225/45 tires. I just mounted 225/45 myself.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Saturday, January 12, 2013 8:36 PM
Nice train wreck, the options you listed will look good but the quarter panel "molding" doesn't bode well for that

Saturday, January 12, 2013 9:56 PM
Cruisin4DrCav wrote:Nice train wreck, the options you listed will look good but the quarter panel "molding" doesn't bode well for that

What do you mean?

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:51 PM
to wheel spacers.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:36 AM
Better get to work. Looks like we both got a decent list of stuff to do before SEGME.

Hope you can get her cleaned up and ready before the meet. Keep us updated.
Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:52 PM
Well, things are starting to come together.
Drove to Charlotte Friday night to meet up with ShadowFire and Alex Meyers at Pull A Part.

And then followed Alex to his place to meet up with Josh and see the FrankenCav, and man its gorgeous.
Poor josh hit a deer a few weeks, and busted his right fender and headlight, but luckily I had a right fender.
So I grabbed his 03-05 Sunfire front end, and left my 00-02 front end behind, the VIS cf hood went to a good home.

So the exterior overhaul can start to officially commence.

03-05 Cavalier LSS rear bumper

Gotta get the muffler, or at least the tip moved over a few inches so it fits in the cut out.
The "Chevrolet" is filled in, looks so clean without it.

03-05 Sunfire front end(Pontiac emblem shaved off bumper) side skirts with the "Sunfire" filled in, and the rest of the Sunfire parts.

Just need a right side headlight for the 03-05 Sunfire front end.
Got a 95-99 Headlight harness modified for the H9/H11 bulbs.
Driving a few days like this, Wednesday I'll be putting the 95-99 SE front bumper back on till I get the headlight I need.

Thinking the damage on the hood from the deer should bang out, or at least enough to look OK.

Once we get a few nice warm days we're gonna hit the drivers fender, pull the dent and clean off the remaining crap from the molded drift side skirt.
Then fix a few dings and dents here and there and get the car painted one matching color.
It's staying white, going to paint the trunk white again as well.

the AGX struts should be here this week, sadly after "not having" the Eibach prokit in stock, they refunded the cost of the springs and gave me some Ksport brand springs free fior the hassle, gonna sell the Ksport and combine it with the prokit refund and get a lower rate spring, something closer to 2".

Looking at painting the rims ether Bronze or Titanium Silver Blue.

I have located a new passenger door to replace the damaged door, just waiting till I'm ready to paint the car to get it.
So, there is a little progress, it's starting to come together.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:56 PM
Drivers quarter not fender, still need to align the fenders, we just bolted them on enough so I could drive home.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:15 PM
Got a head light and good hood if ya need
Monday, February 18, 2013 12:37 PM

(top nuts are not installed on the bumper in these pics, that is why it is sagging at fender)

Drivers side fender need adjustment(as does hood).
In process of getting the right side headlight, so I can lose the 95-02 headlights.

Was going to put on the side skirts, but the battery in my drill was dead so I'll do that later this week.
Going to my friends house Friday to see about getting the bend out on the hood, and full in the two screw holes on the quarters and killing off the crap on the quarter panel.

So there is the progress so far.

Lowering stuff should be here tomorrow, and installed by the end of the week.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:02 AM
Threw on the skirts for the time being, have them sold and going to be replacing with 00-02 Sunfire SE skirts.
Eventually I'm going to run LSS skirts, till then these will look better than the Fire' skirts IMO

Next step is to finish cleaning up the drivers quarter, fill in the holes from the 03-05 skirt on the left fender and start getting things ready for paint in a month or so.

Struts will be here hopefully next week, then we can get some lowering going on.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:26 PM
Much better! Remove the body molding on the doors!

Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:16 PM
Not a fan. The body line on the bumper and GT kit dont line up at all and neither does the bottom. Better get those SE skirts soon.

Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:19 PM
car wash....just because its a project car doesnt mean it has to look like poo...clean the rims too...please

RIP JESSE GERARD.....7.11.87/1.25.08(sunfireboi)
You have received a forum warning:

Warning: Don't ever wish harm On an Ohio state player you Douche canoe...
Expires: Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:47 AM PT

Saturday, February 23, 2013 7:15 PM
That is on my to-do list, but I've tracked down two replacement doors so I may just leave them on, not sure, we'll see once the weather gets warmer.

Those are actually 03-05 skirts, just with the "Sunfire" filled in.
But I agree 100% that they don't flow with the LSS bumper in the slightest way.
Which is why I'm wanting different skirts, going to run the 00-02 SE skirts because they are in a local yard, should be on next week.
Latter down the road I'd like to get some LSS skirts.
Was thinking about seeing if I could install the SE skirts with the end(toward rear bumper) slightly flared out, like the LSS bumper "lip" does.

Its been snowing and raining for days when that pic was taken, it was washed the day before I installed the skirts, which was when I snapped these pics real quick.
Believe it or not.. the rims are clean lol
I live down a long gravel, dirt and mud road, so once I come home they get dirty lol

Not that concerned with them, as they will be changing color as soon as the weather warms up(thinking mid March).
Looking at Black spokes W/ white lips, Bronze or Titanium Silver Blue(used on previous color of motor).

Monday, February 25, 2013 5:35 PM
Been wanting to shoot some pics in front of this wall, had some time to kill before work so I did.
Yeah, I know the car is dirty.

Hopefully, as long as the weather holds out, this will be the last time there will be a pic with the 4x4 stance.
Getting low this week, talking with my friend about going ahead and getting the front end and rear bumper painted, along with skirts which I should be getting Wednesday.

Thinking about adding some mesh in the bumper so its not so open.

Monday, February 25, 2013 7:00 PM
if that chevy part wasnt filled in on that LSS rear, i would have traded u an un painted brand new like factory OEM one one i have. it would save me time and paint not having to paint my rear! lol

Friday, March 08, 2013 6:46 AM
Well May is getting lowered today(maybe today and tomorrow, gotta work on the wife's beetle first).
I'll post a before/after pic of the lowering, then no more pics till SEGME, when it will be painted(at least to the point that I can call it "all white").
And the rims/motor will be painted.

Here's a hint.

Friday, March 08, 2013 10:00 AM
You gonna have proper sized tires on it?

Friday, March 08, 2013 3:41 PM
14 rattle cans of white. Check.

Friday, March 08, 2013 8:24 PM
Will run 215/45 or 225/45 when I have the funds for new tires, the ones on there now have tons of tread left on them.

Brian (TheSundownFire) wrote:14 rattle cans of white. Check.

If a can of paint shooting out of my friends gun counts as rattle can, then sure Check.

After replacing the oil pan on my wife's new beetle, had enough daylight to get the front end lowered, work on the rear tomorrow.
Before and after.

Next Friday meeting up with some friends and will be picking up the right side headlight I need so I can get the correct headlights on.
Running the fire' skirts to SEGME to hand them off to someone, and then pick up a set of LSS skirts.

Then picking up new set of doors, get the quarter panels fixed up, and along with the doors finish painting.

Saturday, March 09, 2013 6:27 PM
rear bumper and right fender painted, he had to leave to go to work so that is all we got done today.
Cleaned up the lips on the rims, then prepped and painted the spokes; some like them, some hate them.
If I decide to keep them this way, the lip will be painted same color as body.
Thinking the Caliper will be painted Red, think it'll be a nice splash of subtle color on the white/black.

We thought about painting the side skirts, but since I'm just using them till I hand them over to their new owner at SEGME, we decied to just skip the skirts.

Depending on how he feels tomorrow we may get the front bumper and left fender painted as well.
Monday going to lower the rear end.
And later in the week get the trunk painted white again.

And I have officially secured a set of LSS skirts, will be picking them up at SEGME in April.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 5:44 AM
Looking a little better josh. What springs did you end up using?

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:07 AM
love the black spokes and white lip!

Saturday, March 16, 2013 2:13 PM
Right now its sitting on DNA Motorsport springs, so far really not that bad of a ride.
After surviving a few weeks on a 2" drop, I know I want Sportlines, Hopefully grab a set in April around my Bday.

Got the trunk and spoiler painted.
Something I've talked with to a few people is painting the "lip cutout" or possibly that whole sunken in area around the tag black.
Think the solid white is a bit overpowering, the black on the bumper would add something to contrast with.

Something like this;

Both fenders and front bumper, painted.
Decided at the last minute to throw paint on the skirts, didn't come out great, but they are only till SEGME when I get the LSS skirts.
Repainted the mirrors and door handles, the doors and rear quarter panels were not painted, as they(especially the drivers side) need alot of work before they can be painted.
We feathered around the trunk/rear bumper to try and smooth the transition between the two shades of white.

Yes, my paintshop skills suck but this is an idea of the two tone I'm considering to finish it off.

Things still needed to finish the exterior off;
*Right door
*Right headlight(have the left)
*Fog lights

Building it one piece at a time
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search