A different kind of project (Things I've never seen done to a J, anyways) - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A different kind of project (Things I've never seen done to a J, anyways)
Tuesday, February 05, 2013 12:24 AM
So some people here may remember I bought a 2nd gen Z24 for $50 a long while ago. As it turns out, the body is too beat up to be roadworthy, and is destined for the junkyard. So I'm going to do some experiments and see how they turn out before the Kidney Foundation gets it. First things first, I've removed the steering wheel and am in the process of cutting it up (sorry for the blurry picture, my shoulders are sore and shaky):

You can see where I've masked off the next set of cuts, but it isn't even, so I'm going to mark it with some string when I find where I put the twine I use for these sorts of things. The plan is to make some wood inserts and re-cover the parts not cut up with leather look vinyl made to withstand extreme cold. I have the horn button sitting outside in the car somewhere, so I haven't had time to do anything with it. I have a plan, but I'll save the details until after I can work out how viable it is. The lack of an airbag gives me a lot of creative freedom, but overall, I want to make it look like a one off GM piece (like it could have come off a concept car) or aftermarket piece. That being said, I have no idea how I'm going to make a lot of this happen. I'm really flying

I've also started pulling the door panels, door sills, and the side mirrors as well. I have a few decisions to make on that (and a ton of rust to break on the bolts), and will post up progress once I start past the "remove ugly blue carpet from panels" phase. I promise you anything I do to these will be an improvement, though. Even if I @!#$ it up, ANYTHING beats that GM blue colour. I'm thinking of doing a more classic car look with the whole panel covered in black vinyl, but some parts padded and given a simple pattern like the old GM muscle cars had (those sewn in vertical lines. Not sure what to call them).

2010 Honda Fit LX

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search