project Z38 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
project Z38
Friday, February 22, 2013 7:47 PM
Hey all, this project has kind of been a long time in the making, a few years back I baught a 98 z24 that needed a bunch of stuff done to it, I started fixing, got tired of it so I pulled everything and baught a 3.8 Supercharged engine to swap in, that car and motor sat in the garage for 1-2 years without doing anything to it, then last fall I found out a guy nearby was selling a 97 z24 with a 3.8 sc already swaped and fonctionning, I went looking for the car without really knowing what to expect, 1 week and 3k$ later the car was in my driveway!

so here's what it looks like and what kind of work I need/want to do on it!

doesn't look like much

then you peek inside and see all these gages and wonder...

then you see this under the hood!

So I had to get one of these :p

and put on mags I had laying around instead of the sunfire mags!

then came the problems

first time on the track and I bust an oil filter due to clearence issues with the axle:
(note this picture is with the car jacked up) You can see where the filter and axle hit/rub

luckily, my mom (yes it may sound funny) know's a guy who may be able to machine a custom adapter to move the filter away for dirt cheap

I'll be needing a little body work this summer whenever my boss let's me borow the shop!

Working in the snow.. how lovely! can't wait to get my own place to leave it in my garage instead of my parents driveway :p

Re: project Z38
Friday, February 22, 2013 8:13 PM
daaaaym now thats a strut tower brace LOL

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Saturday, February 23, 2013 3:34 AM
Is this car from Montreal? That looks like the first 3800 swapped j body. If so, that engine has been in there since 99.
As for the oil filter, I solved that problem on my 3800 swap with an oil filter relocation kit.

Saturday, February 23, 2013 6:57 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:daaaaym now thats a strut tower brace LOL

hell yeah, thats NEVER going to move or break!

gtpsunfire wrote:Is this car from Montreal? That looks like the first 3800 swapped j body. If so, that engine has been in there since 99.
As for the oil filter, I solved that problem on my 3800 swap with an oil filter relocation kit.

yes, it's from around montreal, pretty sure it's the frist 3rd gen around here to have been swapped 3800. the car only has 127 000 km's on it, motor around 65k it's the second 3800 in it, first one blew due to having NOS in it.

as for the relocation kit, it won't help my cause, the spot it's rubbing in is where the relocation kit would screw in, unless it's made fairly solid it will end up breaking if I hit a big ass hole. Do you have a picture of that with your kit installed, to see what kind of clearence you had?
Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:49 AM
Steven Murphy wrote: it's the second 3800 in it, first one blew due to having NOS in it.

not necessarily true. most likely due to operator error with either no tuning done or no added fuel done.

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Saturday, February 23, 2013 5:45 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:
Steven Murphy wrote: it's the second 3800 in it, first one blew due to having NOS in it.

not necessarily true. most likely due to operator error with either no tuning done or no added fuel done.

possibly, I really don't know much about the history of the car. All I know is it's fun as hell to drive
Monday, February 25, 2013 5:37 PM
ihad the same hood louvers on my 96 cav, lots of compliments.
Monday, February 25, 2013 6:33 PM
Steven Murphy wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:daaaaym now thats a strut tower brace LOL

hell yeah, thats NEVER going to move or break!

gtpsunfire wrote:Is this car from Montreal? That looks like the first 3800 swapped j body. If so, that engine has been in there since 99.

yes, it's from around montreal, pretty sure it's the frist 3rd gen around here to have been swapped 3800. the car only has 127 000 km's on it, motor around 65k it's the second 3800 in it, first one blew due to having NOS in it.

as for the relocation kit, it won't help my cause, the spot it's rubbing in is where the relocation kit would screw in, unless it's made fairly solid it will end up breaking if I hit a big ass hole. Do you have a picture of that with your kit installed, to see what kind of clearence you had?

Here you go, you can tell by the axle where it was rubbing.

Question, can you get a pic of the mounting of the engine. I have wondered for years how they did it.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:27 AM
gtpsunfire wrote:Question, can you get a pic of the mounting of the engine. I have wondered for years how they did it.

you mean a picture of underneath the car? I'll take a picture as soon as I go back to the car

I can't wait till spring to get this thing back on the road, I started it the other day, shouldn't have it made me want to go for a drive loll
Monday, March 04, 2013 3:02 PM
Hmm interesting.

Club Jeffie, Yea we can make that. Text or Call(908)866-1882

Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:42 AM
Ok so My car is at the shop and my guy took a look and my axle is fine, he took a look at a few things and he said the cause of my problem is the motor has too much of a kick to it when it starts and when you go full throttle.

I'll have to take a closer look but all the engine mounts seem fine so I was thnking on trying something like maybe welding/bolting up a bar on the firewall and putting it up against the back of the motor to keep it from moving backwards would that work if I can find a proper way of attaching it?

Friday, May 24, 2013 10:23 AM
haha I remember that car........wow been so long

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Friday, May 24, 2013 12:12 PM
Steven Murphy wrote:Ok so My car is at the shop and my guy took a look and my axle is fine, he took a look at a few things and he said the cause of my problem is the motor has too much of a kick to it when it starts and when you go full throttle.

I'll have to take a closer look but all the engine mounts seem fine so I was thnking on trying something like maybe welding/bolting up a bar on the firewall and putting it up against the back of the motor to keep it from moving backwards would that work if I can find a proper way of attaching it?

Solid mounts FTW! Race car status
Friday, May 24, 2013 12:57 PM
Need to replace the mount on the top with something stiffer.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search