Different kind of RWD swap. - Page 11 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Different kind of RWD swap.
Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:12 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:well how bout that, someone that didnt just screw the fitting into the turbo and leave the flange surface looking all unfinished. good man.

I'm here to please, Brad. Just ordered/installed the dynomax 24216 bullet muffler, nice deep tone and much quieter. Turbo spool sounds nice. The shifter linkage has been completed/installed. Need to finish the signal wire harness for the gauges and run the power for the head/tail lights, then all of the electrical should be done. The SS braided brake lines have been made as well, need to finish installing the calipers though. A lot of little things left to do right now. Once that is done, will just need to make the hatch and finish the body flares. Photo updates after the weekend. I need more hands in the Jax area for help, ha.

Enjoy life while you can, because you only have one shot. So go BIG or go home.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:20 AM
I am interested in hearing what that muffler sounds like with the turbo. I am running one as a resonator.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 9:30 AM
Zs Z wrote:I am interested in hearing what that muffler sounds like with the turbo. I am running one as a resonator.

I pulled it back off to let the oil soak burn out of the exhaust. I'll try to get another video this weekend for you with it on the car

Thursday, July 04, 2013 9:42 AM
Awesome, Thanks! I cant wait to see this car on the road!

Sunday, July 07, 2013 3:18 PM
Zs Z wrote:Awesome, Thanks! I cant wait to see this car on the road!

Here is a quick video for you. I will make another one at a different angle, so it should sound better with the exhaust not blowing straight on the camera. Running the Dynomax 24216 Race Bullet muffler. Plus my bumper wasn't fully secured in this one either, everything looks crooked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rhw9kPQTCY

Sunday, July 07, 2013 7:30 PM
That actually sounds pretty decent. Granted I have and LD9, but that sounds totally different with a turbo in front of it. Kinda of makes me want to put a cutout before my muffler once I get the turbo on that is.

Monday, July 08, 2013 1:59 AM
I may get one before my Borla xr-1 to quiet it down a hair. But. Love the sound
Sunday, July 14, 2013 7:29 PM
I like it good sir. Always love the sound of a car with a rear or mid engine.

Sunday, July 14, 2013 8:21 PM
Levi Weuve wrote:I like it good sir. Always love the sound of a car with a rear or mid engine.

Because where the engine is placed changes the way the engine sounds....

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, July 15, 2013 1:46 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:
Levi Weuve wrote:I like it good sir. Always love the sound of a car with a rear or mid engine.

It may have something to do with how long the piping is so it may change the tone
Monday, July 15, 2013 5:07 AM
Ill say from experience: not really. You can hack an exhaust on a front engine car short too. His car sounds awesome because its got a snail hanging off it

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, July 15, 2013 3:17 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:

Actually I will say yes.... Front engine will have longer exhaust, there for sound different than say if its only 3' long.... Trust me, my cutout proves this easily.

Monday, July 15, 2013 4:45 PM
DFF- Breaking The Boundary wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:well how bout that, someone that didnt just screw the fitting into the turbo and leave the flange surface looking all unfinished. good man.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.function-7.com/www2/pics/F7T34CI-01s.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.function-7.com/products/turboparts&h=193&w=247&sz=33&tbnid=1mQv63Jr_Pt2HM:& tbnh=90&tbnw=115&zoom=1&usg=__6RpfmZETJhQSYGXZlVkvTK4HjME=&docid=A6HZxMaNr5GyeM&sa=X&ei=aHbkUajGMI-24AOxvIHABQ&ved=0CEIQ9QEwAg&dur=287

I think it's better if you can say that you made it yourself.

Monday, July 15, 2013 8:48 PM
lol not saying others dont use those or anything just saying most dont bother and just tap the turbo. it looks unfinished. just my opinion....

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. Now with 5 speed! It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Monday, July 15, 2013 10:26 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
JLAudioCavalier wrote:

Actually I will say yes.... Front engine will have longer exhaust, there for sound different than say if its only 3' long.... Trust me, my cutout proves this easily.

Yes. Louder. it's not a new tone or anything. it's just louder. the engine itself and how it runs makes the tone it produces. where it's mounted in the car does not change that in any way. shorter exhaust just means louder.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:08 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
JLAudioCavalier wrote:

Yes. Louder. it's not a new tone or anything. it's just louder. the engine itself and how it runs makes the tone it produces. where it's mounted in the car does not change that in any way. shorter exhaust just means louder.

im no exhaust expert personally but i have read/heard things to the contrary of this. read this below for more information...

EndTuning wrote:Exhaust Systems
The Exhaust system is an often misunderstood part of the engine. It does a lot more than just remove the waste gasses!
There are a number of design requirements when creating an exhaust system for a vehicle. Modern systems are centered around increasing performance, lowering emissions, and reducing noise. Noise is controlled by designing baffles and resonators which are able to cancel out certain noise frequencies. The noise from each cylinder firing event can be controlled and timed to reflect back against each other, pass through padding which can absorb some noise and also resonate to provide an acceptable sound.

Emissions are controlled by Catalytic Converters which are able to induce a chemical reaction in the hot gasses to reduce pollutants, such as combining Carbon Monoxide (CO) with "spare" Oxygen to produce CO2. Nitrous Oxides (referred to as a group NOx) and Hydrocarbons can also be reduced. The Catalytic converters need to be hot to function correctly which has introduced a few methods of quick heating. Some early systems had electric heaters inside which would get the Cats to operating temperature quicker. Modern designs will place the Converters as close as possible to the cylinder head, and you may also see twin wall exhaust pipes designed to insulate the exhaust gasses so the heat is passed to the converter matrix. Emission control Air Pumps are also used under cold start conditions. The extra fuel which is needed to ensure combustion at low engine temperatures has extra air added to it in the exhaust system to promote it burning on the catalytic converter matrix, both heating the Cat quicker, and burning off the unused Hydrocarbons.
Diesel Technology also uses Catalytic converters, and often Diesel Particulate Filters known as DPF, FAP and other manufacturer specific names. Particulate Filters capture soot and ash from the exhaust gas stream and store it in a fine sponge-like matrix. When conditions are right, the Diesel engine ECU will activate methods to increase the Exhaust Gas Temperatures to burn off the collected soot. If these occasional Regeneration phases can't be activated, the filter may clog beyond repair and require replacing.

Tuning the Exhaust System
Increased power from the engine due to exhaust tuning is often the main goal of the Tuner. To start with, you need to know how the final Performance aspect of the exhaust system works. The First and most important thing is that there is never a need for "Backpressure" for performance. There is a theory, based on the noted effects which seems to point to backpressure being important, but that isn't the case.
To produce power, you need to maximise the efficiency of the engine, which can include a greater turnover of air and fuel passing through. If you can get the exhaust gasses out easier, you can get more air and fuel into the engine to produce more power. Any backpressure will reduce the amount of air and fuel that can fill the cylinder and reduce the power. That would also point to the most powerful exhaust systems being entirely open from the exhaust valves, but that is not the best design.

The Missing Link is Exhaust Tuning. This is probably the closest or purest type of "tuning" to the name, as you are dealing with the same tones and frequencies as in music.
So, What is happening? The exhaust gasses pass out in pulses from each firing cylinder. Each pulse is a high pressure area, with a low pressure area behind. You can visualise this by looking at ocean waves, the peak representing the high pressure area, and a trough behind that is lower than the average ocean height is the low pressure area. The exhaust pipes can be thought of like an Organ pipe. For each diameter and length, there is a resonant frequency, in the same way Organ pipes are different sizes and diameters to produce different notes. Exhaust tuning uses this resonance to help evacuate the gasses from the cylinders.
This is the main point.

A finely tuned exhaust not only reduces the back pressure to minimal levels, it can actually pull the gasses out of the cylinders!
When correctly designed, the exhaust can be tuned to resonate and the pressure vibrations in the exhaust can be timed to have a low pressure wave arrive at an exhaust valve as it opens, pulling the gasses out. This tuning isn't something you can easily modify without advanced modeling of fluid dynamics but many performance systems are set up with this in mind.
The exhaust manifold is the major component responsible for exhaust tuning. The length and diameters of each pipe can be prepared to create a resonant effect over a certain RPM range. It is worth noting that unless the diameter or length changes, the resonant RPM band is fixed. When the engine is at the specific RPM range to match the exhaust frequency, the tuning comes into play. This effect will boost the torque at that RPM range although it may also reduce power at other RPMs. When exhaust systems are quickly modified by adding different rear silencers, or larger diameter pipes, the tuning can be disrupted. In a similar fashion, you wouldn't cut the last metre from a Church organ and replace it with a larger pipe without expecting the sound to change!
It is often these changes that disrupt the resonance and tuning in an exhaust system that are noted for a reduce power output. Without understanding the resonance effect, often the incorrect conclusion that the free-flowing exhaust has created the problem by being too free-flowing.

Performance Exhaust systems are therefore something that can not be easily designed. There are always compromises somewhere, with the first to go usually being the silencing effect. If you are looking at buying a new performance system, you should look out for changes to the design that would be beneficial. For example, updated equal-length exhaust manifold primary pipes, or repositioned X sections on "V" engine exhausts. Larger diameter pipes may change the sound, but it is often unlikely you will notice any improvements to the power. Likewise, Stainless steel exhaust manifolds that follow the design of the original will not provide any improvements as they will not fundamentally change the exhaust tuning.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:44 AM

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. Now with 5 speed! It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:02 PM
Very interesting reading and thanks for posting Brad. I'm always up for more reading on interesting topics. Such as the camshaft sticky in the performance section.
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:32 PM
That highlighted section and really the entire article is important to header runners and not really the entire exhaust system. Your exhaust tuning is done in the runners and collector/megaphone. After a certain point in the exhaust the flow is no longer being affected by exhaust pulses and essentially just acts as one flow. The overall length of the system does change the performance in a minor way by increasing or decreasing scavenging at the collector.

But as far as I'm concerned the design of the exhaust after the collector is a moot point as long as it flows well. And its not like any of this matters for a turbo engine. Turbo mani design is another whole thing I haven't even started trying to learn.

Z24Sunfire wrote:Very interesting reading and thanks for posting Brad. I'm always up for more reading on interesting topics. Such as the camshaft sticky in the performance section.

Check out my engine design thread. Ive got some stuff about intake tuning as well. I need to add more stuff but it has some good info.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:09 PM
Not to drag this off-topic discussion on, but bottom line, Brad: I've heard my MR2, and I've heard Camry 4 bangers(same motor) with aftermarket exhausts. It's not a different tone.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:07 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Not to drag this off-topic discussion on, but bottom line, Brad: I've heard my MR2, and I've heard Camry 4 bangers(same motor) with aftermarket exhausts. It's not a different tone.

i agree, done after this.

(sarcasm) maybe you are tone def LOL

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:45 AM
Come on kids....

We all know RWD exhaust sounds way better than FWD exhaust.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, July 20, 2013 10:02 AM
Due to the eco's high oil pressure, I blew the seals on the turbo. Need to order a rebuild kit, but I make this fitting to monitor the turbo feed pressure using one of the stock plug fittings. It has a tiny hole drilled in it that I can increase in size if the pressure is too low. Remove the AN fitting and the allen wrench fits right into the stock fitting to tighten everything up.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 1:11 PM
should be fine if you grab oil feed from the factory saab location...

Sunday, July 21, 2013 4:56 PM
wow now thats awesome. seems like a lot of people mis-gauge how much pressure needs to go into the turbo and end up ruining them. having an adjustable setup is very cool!

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search